Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
speed racer
Speed Racer

Drives: 2010 SuperCharged SS/RS
L99 sounds like it is in to high of gear, then BAM it take off like a bat out of HEll

When my L99 is Cold or not totally warmed up.I will be shifting with my paddle shifters from 2nd to 3rd and sometime 3rd to 4th not giving it much gas, due to being in the neighborhood. It kind of feels and sounds like I'm in to high of a gear and it boggs down with little power. Then as I slowly start to push down on the gas pedal, it sounds even worse like I need to down shift. Then as I am slowly push more on the gas peddle, it suddenly takes off like a bat out of hell.INSTANT POWER !

It will do this many times, until it is totaly warmed up for a while...It even does it when I'm down shifting and then coasting for a while. Like when I'm not needing to push down on the gas pedal to slow down with the slowing traffic in front of me. Then as traffic slowly speeds up, I will give it a little gas and it sound like it is bogging down again, like I need to down shift it, so I push a little bit more on the gas peddle, then Bam it is like a Turbo just kicked in and I have instant power..Without any down shift..

What the hell is wrong with my L99.I took it to the dealer and they could not see any issue.. They must be High !! Help Guys
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
3BVert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
It sounds like AFM kicking in to me. We had the same complaint and the dealer said, "it may be normal" http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41782. Since then, we tuned out AFM and it's like a whole new car.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
When my L99 is Cold or not totally warmed up.I will be shifting with my paddle shifters from 2nd to 3rd and sometime 3rd to 4th not giving it much gas, due to being in the neighborhood. It kind of feels and sounds like I'm in to high of a gear and it boggs down with little power. Then as I slowly start to push down on the gas pedal, it sounds even worse like I need to down shift. Then as I am slowly push more on the gas peddle, it suddenly takes off like a bat out of hell.INSTANT POWER !

It will do this many times, until it is totaly warmed up for a while...It even does it when I'm down shifting and then coasting for a while. Like when I'm not needing to push down on the gas pedal to slow down with the slowing traffic in front of me. Then as traffic slowly speeds up, I will give it a little gas and it sound like it is bogging down again, like I need to down shift it, so I push a little bit more on the gas peddle, then Bam it is like a Turbo just kicked in and I have instant power..Without any down shift..

What the hell is wrong with my L99.I took it to the dealer and they could not see any issue.. They must be High !! Help Guys
I don't have a A6, but maybe AFM is kicking in?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
It is the lame AFM kicking in as the others said. It is by far the top thing I dislike about my Camaro A6. Why in the world GM decided to piss off their customers by having AFM kick on at low speeds is beyond me.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Welcome to the wonderful worls of AFM. Nice to meet you.

But, the A6 is still faster so your in good shape.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
wait, this is the first I've heard the camaro going slow, in a neighborhood. I have not experienced this yet.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
firengnred

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 2500 Silverado
Yep. AFM. Tuned it out and MAN what a difference!

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."
firengnred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
RSHugger

Drives: 1969 RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by firengnred View Post
Yep. AFM. Tuned it out and MAN what a difference!
Just out of curiousity... with the AFM tuned out how much of a change did you notice in MPG? Probably went down but by how much??
RSHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i have not experienced this at all in my car.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
I notice the AFM kick in also. I can hear the change in engine/exhaust note and I can feel a different vibration in the gas pedal.

It sometimes feels like I'm in a higher gear than I should be for the speed when I push a bit harder to accelerate. It isnt a big deal, and if it saves money on gas then I'm ok with it.
jtzako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i forgot to say.i don't think AFM is that great anyway.hell i'm only getting 14.2 mpg.if it supposed to be so good,we should be getting better milage than the sticks.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
sleddog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 Black
How do you go about turning off the AFM ? Does it take a tuner to get the job done?

Sled
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #13
3BVert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSHugger View Post
Just out of curiousity... with the AFM tuned out how much of a change did you notice in MPG? Probably went down but by how much??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
How do you go about turning off the AFM ? Does it take a tuner to get the job done?

Sled
I tuned mine out with a DiabloSport Predator (~$300). It's about a 10 minute DIY job. With their 93 Octane tune and AFM turned off, the MPG seems to be a wash. Picked up some milage with the tune and then lost some by turning off AFM. I filled up last night and the DIC average MPG over two tanks of gas (50/50 city/highway) was 18.8.

There's a lot of debate about whether applying the Predator tune will void your powertrain warranty so that's something to consider. To me, AFM was so obnoxious that I decided to take the chance. I gave the dealer an opportunity to fix it but all they could say was "it may be normal" so I decided to take the plunge and fix it myself. I'd rather gamble on a warranty issue in the next 5 years and have a car that drives like it should versus suffering through AFM all that time. Some say that they don't even notice it but both my wife and I could not stand AFM. GMs implementation on the Camaro is horrible. My Tahoe has AFM and you'd never know it. Why they can't do better on the Camaro is beyond me.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #14
sleddog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 Black
OK thanks

Sled
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote