Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #1
Monty Burns

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet 2LT Camaro
Cool Hello, Everyone! New member here. First Question Ever!

Purchased a 2013 Blue Ray Metallic 2LT on January 25th. One owner, clean Carfax with 54,000 miles. During my initial research, I came across the need for an Oil Catch Can. Is this essential for my model year? Have any owners installed this part? All thoughts, experiences, and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! : )
Monty Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:42 AM   #2
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
First congrats on the 5TH Gen. There are so many owners on here that have catch cans and different makers models. I have had mine on for nine years. My personnel opinion I wouldn't be with out it for the oil it catches.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:54 AM   #3
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Personally, I don't think it's needed. I've never run one.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #4
Vipercar

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT/RS
Welcome to the club! I have had one on for ten years and am pleased with the oil that it catches. You will find mixed opinions on this site regarding catch cans but I feel that at the worst it does no damage and at the best it really saves the engine. Good luck with your decision.
Vipercar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Congrats and welcome! I agree with what has been said. There's mixed feelings on catch cans. I run one and I'm happy with it. My intake manifold stays much cleaner. They are more important on DI (direct injection) engines. Helps to reduce oil ingestion that can contribute to coking on the valves.

This link can help illustrate the need for one on DI engines.

https://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/g...#/topics/52026
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.

Last edited by Black_SS10; 02-17-2020 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Added link
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I installed a catch can from Radium Engineering on my '15 LFX. Catch can is a good idea too reduce carbon build-up on intake valves of GDI engines. After exhausting research I decided their universal unit installed on the "dirty side" was appropriate for my application. Well made unit, very good customer service. Check out their website and/or give them a call.
Attached Images

ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:35 AM   #7
Monty Burns

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet 2LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU DUCE View Post
First congrats on the 5TH Gen. There are so many owners on here that have catch cans and different makers models. I have had mine on for nine years. My personnel opinion I wouldn't be with out it for the oil it catches.
Thanks, Blue, for the quick reply. Your car is beautiful!!! What a sweet ride! Looks like I’m off to buy a catch can. How often do you have to empty it?
Monty Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:45 PM   #8
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
BLU DUCE AKA=Spike III Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Burns View Post
Thanks, Blue, for the quick reply. Your car is beautiful!!! What a sweet ride! Looks like I’m off to buy a catch can. How often do you have to empty it?
I check mine twice a year also if I had run it hard.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:51 PM   #9
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Asking about a catch can is “almost” as bad as asking opinions on an intake. I have the elite engineering catch can with check valve and am glad I chose to install it.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:01 AM   #10
Sxren_Camaro'13
SEAHAWKS FOR LIFE!!

Drives: '13 Mod Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
I installed a catch can from Radium Engineering on my '15 LFX. Catch can is a good idea too reduce carbon build-up on intake valves of GDI engines. After exhausting research I decided their universal unit installed on the "dirty side" was appropriate for my application. Well made unit, very good customer service. Check out their website and/or give them a call.
what is that thing above the catch can ive always wondered the oval looking thing
Old 02-19-2020, 05:28 AM   #11
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
CONGRATS on the ride, and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5/6. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wives', husbands, girlfriends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 02-19-2020, 03:23 PM   #12
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i believe it depends on how much blow by your engine has.if you are adding oil between every 5,000 mile change a catch can is probably money well spent.mines not using any oil,hence i feel it would be a waste of money.
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:46 PM   #13
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
A catch can is never a bad idea. Absolutely necessary? No. It will help with less maintenance cost down the road. Boosted, yes you really should run catch can.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:45 AM   #14
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Burns View Post
Purchased a 2013 Blue Ray Metallic 2LT on January 25th. One owner, clean Carfax with 54,000 miles. During my initial research, I came across the need for an Oil Catch Can. Is this essential for my model year? Have any owners installed this part? All thoughts, experiences, and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! : )
First and foremost; "Welcome" to the Forum and congratulations on your new ride.

I own a 2014 2LT/RS that now has just over 30K on the clock. I installed an "Elite Engineering" catch can system and have had no regrets. I only use Royal Purple HPS 3W30 oil and change the oil and filter no more than 4K miles. At about 2K miles I always check drain the catch can. I get very little residue oil, maybe an ounce, but looking at it I would not want it going back into the engine.

Guess having a catch can is like wearing a helmet when riding a bicycle, you don't really need it, might never see the benefit of having one, but.... it may someday prevent you from cracking your egg!

What to hell... go for it!
Larry