Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Macfolk
J.T.

Drives: Camaro 2SS w/RS package, Imp. Blue
O.K., now I'm confused.

I plan on making a cold air intake my first mod for my '11 SS, but there are so many strong opinions on the boards that I am a bit shy about pulling the trigger.

I like the idea of an OTR intake. It makes sense logically, but the fit issues some have with the Vararam and the quality concerns scare me. I found the New Era intake last night but very few have posted about it here. I also don't want to worry that the radiator shift could cause other problems.

If OTR isn't the road to go, the CAI brand looks extremely well made, and I have seen little to no negatives about it on the site. Some also recommend the ADM scoop with it, but as mine is a DD, I do not know if this is necessary. No quarter mile runs are in my immediate future.

So... for a DD planning on staying away from a tune until the factory warranty expires, which intake is best?

Thanks to all for the input,

Jason
Macfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
Cold air inductions, hands down! Its just a very high quality system and looks really clean under the hood. It extremely easy to install too.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
lincoln361

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
First you got to decide what you want to do. The title you put on here fits lol. But seriously, I first started with a Cai and drive with it for about 5k miles, than I got the scoop. Best thing that you can do to get some performance gains without a tune. Good luck
lincoln361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
MaRoFreK

Drives: IOM 1SS w/factory Hurst
Mine is a DD and I have a Vararam. Zero issues, 100% happy, And oh boy the seat of the pants difference was awesome!

Stainless works Catback with Flowmaster Single Chamber Mufflers, Vararam, Factory Hurst, SLP SS emblems, SLP Skip Shift
MaRoFreK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
The Fastlane Pipeline won Jannetty's original test. It's a "down and out" style, so it draws air from behind the foglight. It comes with a washer bottle replacement. I experienced significant gains at the track (check my Build Journal) with it and used it till I out the supercharger on.

It's for sale. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201799

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
Macfolk
J.T.

You got that right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln361 View Post
First you got to decide what you want to do. The title you put on here fits lol. But seriously, I first started with a Cai and drive with it for about 5k miles, than I got the scoop. Best thing that you can do to get some performance gains without a tune. Good luck

I appreciate all the replies. I see a lot of CAI with the ADM scoop rather than the ADM intake. Why is that?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Synner

Drives: cars
Just get the one you like the most; you'll never feel a 2hp difference in real life. The minor differences are so over hyped on here. I have a CAI and I chose it for quality as well as appearance. As long as what you pick isolates engine heat from the intake get the one you like.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
Macfolk
J.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Just get the one you like the most; you'll never feel a 2hp difference in real life. The minor differences are so over hyped on here. I have a CAI and I chose it for quality as well as appearance. As long as what you pick isolates engine heat from the intake get the one you like.
Thanks. I see a lot of mods leading to the next mod, so I just want to invest wisely. It may need to be classified as a medical condition.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
Synner

Drives: cars
I consider it a mental illness as well as bankruptcy initiator.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
Quick

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th
I love my cai from CAI...You can't go wrong with this one.

Something wicked this way cometh...
Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
I went with CAI and then added the scoop and washer bottle relocate months later. Both are very easy to install. The fit and finish look great under the hood. I have yet to open the hood and not get a comment on how sharp everything looks. There is a very real difference in seat of the pants feel. The Jannetty tests rated this combo at the top. I believe it is true that you would never be able to feel 2-3 horse difference between intakes, but when there is absolutely no penalty for going with number one,,,,why not? Dead nuts easy to install and top quality pieces that look great besides.
Attached Images

ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Looks = cai
Maximum gain in power = vararam

Most people chose the cai because it looks the best. Most people on here don't race their car either. Most don't care about getting the most power from each part. In that case, you can't go wrong with the cai. But if your like me and when I spend my money, I want the most hp per buck. It was a no brainer for me. I wanted true ram air, or should I say the best cold air. Just didn't get the idea of a big sewer pipe sucking hot air from under the hood. Thats why the scoop makes a difference. It helps draw the Cooler air in. Why is it called a cold air intake anyway?
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
The SwiftChancelor

Drives: SGM, 2011 2SS/RS, L99
I think if I chose to get a different intake I'd go with the CAI. I read a lot of positive comments on here about them and it looks like there proven to be one of the best. JM$.02.
And just to say I believe this is the 5th thread I've read in 2 days where someone says, " I'm gonna pull the trigger". Its like a chain reaction.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #14
jcollins91106

Drives: 2010 2ss m6
I have had two intakes and col air inductions plus the adm scoop is the best combo IMHO. just a really well engineered, plus quality product!
2010 2ss M6, TSP 1 7/8 Long Tube headers,dual electric cutouts, 3" pipes all the way back to magnaflows. elite engineering catch can, custom painted engine cover,CAI cold air intake, apex cold air racescoop, jannety racing 470 hp kit, custom JRE hot rough idle blower cam, jannety racing dyno tuned. pfadt lowering springs, lsr short throw shifter, custom sub setup,sony 7" indash nav, interior stiching dye, 20% tint all around, HAVOC spoiler, tail light black out, chevy emblem black out, seibon BBII carbon fiber hood,Front and rear bowtie blackouts. 461 rwhp and not done yet!
jcollins91106 is offline   Reply With Quote