Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #71
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Was that the other guys Camaro in the background?
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Old 03-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #72
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
The reason you would turn off traction control. If you were on snow or sand or a slick surface and you got stuck or can not move. Turning off the traction control would enable your tires to spin your way out of it.
Thanks
Old 03-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #73
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Insurance just went up a notch for all of us.
i think only if you live in the atlanta, GA area.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #74
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
price to me if u dont want it , ill fix that up no prob if u think its gone
Old 03-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #75
cmb74656

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/BLI A6
By some strange coincidence, I clicked on this thread just as Spicoli was totaling the Z/28 on Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Sorry about the car. Glad you're okay.

MODS: RX Performance catch can, Jegs CAI, ZL1 grille, chrome license plate frame, GM locking gas cap, Defender Worx chrome DRL bezels, GM molded splash guards, Oracle LED side markers, DRLs, tag lights and reverse lamps, Technostalgia Rapid Fire tail lamps, Vitesse shift paddle extenders, MBRP cat back.
FUTURE: long tube headers, front splitter, slotted/drilled rotors, leather console and e-brake handle boot, remote fuel door and rear seat release, sway bars and bushings.
WISH LIST: Edelbrock E-Force SC, LS3 conversion
Old 03-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #76
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb74656 View Post
By some strange coincidence, I clicked on this thread just as Spicoli was totaling the Z/28 on Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Sorry about the car. Glad you're okay.
Ha Ha! "You just be glad I have fast reflexes"

I love that movie
Old 03-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #77
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
dumb question, why can it be turned off?
Because sometimes you want to actually control your car yourself and not rely on the car to do it. I personally always turn it off. I think the car runs like crap with it on. I just respect the fact my car has over 400 available horsepower at the rear wheels. It all about respect for the car.

Sent while on baby duty.... please sleep
Old 03-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #78
MaRoFreK

Drives: IOM 1SS w/factory Hurst
glad your ok man

Stainless works Catback with Flowmaster Single Chamber Mufflers, Vararam, Factory Hurst, SLP SS emblems, SLP Skip Shift
Old 03-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #79
pbretelson

Drives: 2013 2SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to pbretelson
Glad you are ok. Cars can be replaced.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #80
Daily Driver

Drives: Silver Bullet
Im sure its totaled, glad you are OK. At least you are man enough to admit fault. Hopefully everything works out for you and stay safe.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #81
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
Because sometimes you want to actually control your car yourself and not rely on the car to do it. I personally always turn it off. I think the car runs like crap with it on. I just respect the fact my car has over 400 available horsepower at the rear wheels. It all about respect for the car.

Sent while on baby duty.... please sleep

I'm not saying this to belittle you.....

...but if you think the car 'runs like crap' with it on - I'm thinking that you're breaking the rear tires loose with regularity - or there's something wrong with your traction control system.

I'm sure you saw the 'accident' at the Press event at V.I.R. -- You may have respect for the car - but there's a reason why they call it an 'accident' -- and for the life of me I don't understand why anyone would turn the traction control off on public roads. In the past two weeks I can think of three other accidents (this is the fourth) ON THIS SITE -- that occurred in part because the traction control was switched off.

Tidbit: Those of us assigned ZL1 Captured Test Fleet vehicles have been told "don't even THINK about it"

(I shall now turn to page vii in our ZL1 handout that we were given and had to sign that we'd read it -- and we can read in unison:

"..the ZL1 is a very powerful vehicle. Traction Control and Stability Control MUST be active at all times. Failure to comply with this directive will result in revoked driving privileges and up to and including Termination....") (underline put there by GM -- not me...)

Wellalrightythen!

We received similar instructions with other CTF Camaros and Corvettes --- now - I think that perhaps the people who made this proclamation are quite familiar with Camaro - and they're making this rule for a reason.

I guess what I'd say to you is this:

1. It's your car - you are free to do as you see fit.

2. If you DO wreck your Camaro - it's another in the junk yard - and insurance rates will continue to climb. Don't believe me? Go look at the sales rates of Muscle cars from 1966 to 1969 - and watch as they drop off a cliff in late 1969 and 1970--that happened for a reason: Most accidents happened at high rates of speed and were quite --how shall we put this? "spectacular?" -- those of us who were around will tell you that some insurance costs were very nearly equal to the base price of the car PER YEAR by 1970! Do we really want to go thru that again?

3. I do hope that you and your loved ones and innocent ones are not injured if you do, indeed have an accident.....but if you hit me and I find out that you disabled your traction control - I'm not going to be a bit happy - and if I'm injured, I might consider coming after you legally.

4. Please-- I'm begging you: don't talk about shutting it off on this or any other site - it only encourages others - and that's not a good thing.......

Again - I'm not wanting to belittle you - but I've seen too many people killed in accidents where Stability control or seatbelts may have saved lives had people just used them.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #82
Fiveg56

Drives: -
A day will come when it will be illegal to turn traction/stability control off on public streets...
Old 03-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #83
z28racer

Drives: 12 SIM 2SS/ RS Sinergy M6,GMC2500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
I'm not saying this to belittle you.....

...but if you think the car 'runs like crap' with it on - I'm thinking that you're breaking the rear tires loose with regularity - or there's something wrong with your traction control system.

I'm sure you saw the 'accident' at the Press event at V.I.R. -- You may have respect for the car - but there's a reason why they call it an 'accident' -- and for the life of me I don't understand why anyone would turn the traction control off on public roads. In the past two weeks I can think of three other accidents (this is the fourth) ON THIS SITE -- that occurred in part because the traction control was switched off.

Tidbit: Those of us assigned ZL1 Captured Test Fleet vehicles have been told "don't even THINK about it"

(I shall now turn to page vii in our ZL1 handout that we were given and had to sign that we'd read it -- and we can read in unison:

"..the ZL1 is a very powerful vehicle. Traction Control and Stability Control MUST be active at all times. Failure to comply with this directive will result in revoked driving privileges and up to and including Termination....") (underline put there by GM -- not me...)

Wellalrightythen!

We received similar instructions with other CTF Camaros and Corvettes --- now - I think that perhaps the people who made this proclamation are quite familiar with Camaro - and they're making this rule for a reason.

I guess what I'd say to you is this:

1. It's your car - you are free to do as you see fit.

2. If you DO wreck your Camaro - it's another in the junk yard - and insurance rates will continue to climb. Don't believe me? Go look at the sales rates of Muscle cars from 1966 to 1969 - and watch as they drop off a cliff in late 1969 and 1970--that happened for a reason: Most accidents happened at high rates of speed and were quite --how shall we put this? "spectacular?" -- those of us who were around will tell you that some insurance costs were very nearly equal to the base price of the car PER YEAR by 1970! Do we really want to go thru that again?

3. I do hope that you and your loved ones and innocent ones are not injured if you do, indeed have an accident.....but if you hit me and I find out that you disabled your traction control - I'm not going to be a bit happy - and if I'm injured, I might consider coming after you legally.

4. Please-- I'm begging you: don't talk about shutting it off on this or any other site - it only encourages others - and that's not a good thing.......

Again - I'm not wanting to belittle you - but I've seen too many people killed in accidents where Stability control or seatbelts may have saved lives had people just used them.
Sounds to me like you boy's dont know how to drive. If you cant handle your car without the traction control on you might want to consider getting a different car or getting driving lessons. I also think that ABS should be able to be shut off by the driver. To many people buy cars that are way over there driving ability. Think you might be one!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #84
ZachSGMSS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28racer View Post
Sounds to me like you boy's dont know how to drive. If you cant handle your car without the traction control on you might want to consider getting a different car or getting driving lessons. I also think that ABS should be able to be shut off by the driver. To many people buy cars that are way over there driving ability. Think you might be one!
You don't know who you're talking to there do you?

Closed Thread

Tags
accident, crash, wreck