Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 03-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #99
Asanti

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
You know how they say...a picture is worth a thousand words...I really didn't realize the true ramifications of what the owner's manual meant until I read the Goodyear product service bulletin and saw the picture of the tire with cracks in it and actually stated the 40 deg L and below.
Asanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #100
16floz470ml

Drives: 2012 ZL1 GLJ MG9 WBP RTQ
Have you seen this thread? Winter tires in OE sizes.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=pirelli
16floz470ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #101
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
But in my mind...when the dealer [should], and I agree with this earlier point, inform the buyer that these are summer tires
Absolutely. Of course, the salesman and dealership do have to get themselves past any perceived conflict of interest.

That's possibly why the OM is worded the way it is, with a careful end run around that apparent conflict coming at the buyer's disadvantage. Never mind that the percentage of buyers who actually read the OM for anything beyond "how do I do X?" is not likely to be very high.

16floz470ml - the linked thread in your reply should be made a sticky in both the ZL-1 and 1LE forums. Later on, I'll raise a pint of Sam to you for that.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #102
Asanti

Thanks for the link. I did see that before when I spent many, many hours trying to find a better tire for Indiana in the winter months. It is interesting to note that the link suggests the Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero Series II when the official Pirelli website doesn't show that the Sottozero is made in the 305 size. Using their tire finder, the only tire they find is the P Zero which is just slightly better than the F1 for Indiana, in my opinion.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #103
16floz470ml

Drives: 2012 ZL1 GLJ MG9 WBP RTQ
The series 2 does not come in 305. You have to use series 1 on the back.
16floz470ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #104
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I am also surprised how hard so many drivers would push these cars to the limit in colder weather. Maybe's it all of the years of driving on slicks and drag radials with a soft tire and high hp car; but it's always proceed with caution as the temps drop (and in the rain for that matter).

With that said; I do think GM should require the dealers to include some type of verbiage or paperwork (like they mention don't take these cars through a car wash) when turning the keys over to new owners. It certainly wouldn't hurt.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #105
Callchuck

Drives: 2012 ZL1 black camaro
GM did replace my tires with the Pzero. I am buying an extra set of wheels and tires from my next door neighbor who bought a 2013 Zl1 convertible. He is putting the Asanti wheels and Pirelli tires on his. I will use his set for the track and my Pirellis and wheels for the street. Perfect set up.i am now a happy camper!
Callchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #106
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
I am also surprised how hard so many drivers would push these cars to the limit in colder weather. Maybe's it all of the years of driving on slicks and drag radials with a soft tire and high hp car;
I think it's more about the years of driving, period. It's only been rather recently that "regular street" tires have been constructed and compounded this aggressively for warm-weather performance, and you tend to keep driving based on your previous experience with less sensitive tires. The car feels mostly the same . . . right up until it really doesn't. So you drive the same way you always did.

I've always chosen tires toward the high performance end of whatever basic category I was shopping for (either summer or all-season), and there's no question that the Mustang's current set of summer tires (GY Asymmetrics) are the least grippy at 40°F than any other tire I've ever owned. As good as they seem to be at warmer temperatures, they require a whole lot more driving caution as the temperature drops.

It came as a mild surprise the first time they started to let go and threaten to spin me (turning left coming off being stopped at a traffic light) - I was barely matching the pace of other traffic, not pushing it at all. So it's very easy for me to understand how somebody in a more powerful car and with fewer miles experience in that specific car could very quickly put themselves in over their head.

Trust me, the first time it happens, you won't see it coming.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #107
Asanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callchuck View Post
GM did replace my tires with the Pzero. I am buying an extra set of wheels and tires from my next door neighbor who bought a 2013 Zl1 convertible. He is putting the Asanti wheels and Pirelli tires on his. I will use his set for the track and my Pirellis and wheels for the street. Perfect set up.i am now a happy camper!
My understanding is that the PZero tire is rated as a summer tire, like the GY F1 that is stock on the ZL1, but the GY F1 has a higher rating. TireRack recommends the GY F1 over the PZero as a better performer. I don't see an advantage to the PZero unless it is to have two sets of summer rated tires. Please, what am I missing?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #108
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I think it's more about the years of driving, period. It's only been rather recently that "regular street" tires have been constructed and compounded this aggressively for warm-weather performance, and you tend to keep driving based on your previous experience with less sensitive tires. The car feels mostly the same . . . right up until it really doesn't. So you drive the same way you always did.

I've always chosen tires toward the high performance end of whatever basic category I was shopping for (either summer or all-season), and there's no question that the Mustang's current set of summer tires (GY Asymmetrics) are the least grippy at 40°F than any other tire I've ever owned. As good as they seem to be at warmer temperatures, they require a whole lot more driving caution as the temperature drops.

It came as a mild surprise the first time they started to let go and threaten to spin me (turning left coming off being stopped at a traffic light) - I was barely matching the pace of other traffic, not pushing it at all. So it's very easy for me to understand how somebody in a more powerful car and with fewer miles experience in that specific car could very quickly put themselves in over their head.

Trust me, the first time it happens, you won't see it coming.

Norm
I completely agree with you on that point. When I was acclimating myself to this car; I had a few "oh @#$" situations that made me quickly realize these tires are a true summer tire.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #109
Asanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
I completely agree with you on that point. When I was acclimating myself to this car; I had a few "oh @#$" situations that made me quickly realize these tires are a true summer tire.
Man, I hear that!!! Lots of #$%^$'s here also.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #110
WhiteyChev

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1. 1/94 produced.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreded1 View Post
I just Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my ZL1 and it handles much better in the cold. I had to go to 315's in the back and stayed with the 285's in the front. They are 300AA rated and have a 30000 mile warranty. I have had them a month and not an issue in the cold and I had many with the Goodyear's!
Shreded... How has your experience been with the Michelins?
I'm thinking of making the same switch.
Did you lose anything in handling & traction?
Did you gain ride, quietness, or anything, beyond the improvements in cool temps?

Tx
WhiteyChev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #111
Faster12

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1 #1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteyChev View Post
Shreded... How has your experience been with the Michelins?
I'm thinking of making the same switch.
Did you lose anything in handling & traction?
Did you gain ride, quietness, or anything, beyond the improvements in cool temps?

Tx
WhiteyChev,

I've had the Michelins on my Z since November and although it doesn't get nearly as cold here in MS we have had several below 40 days and plenty of rain. I love the Michelins as compared to the GYs. They are definitely a lot taller and not nearly as attractive as the GYs but the performance difference is noticeable. I have a bit of a hill to climb as I leave my apartment complex and with the GYs in the cold weather, I would always slip as I turned out. Not too much but more than enough. With the Michelins I have yet to come across the same problem. Also, in the rain there is no comparison, IMO. My GYs made me feel pretty uneasy in heavy rain, but the Michelins hold true. I'm sure every driver and most with far more experience than myself will have significant input on this topic as well. There are a few guys here on the forum that have chosen the Michelins with no regrets. They are a bit pricey, but that's the name of the game when you own a Z! Good luck with whatever tires you choose.
Faster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #112
ZL1Bullet

Drives: ZL1
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but GM Canada is calling all the owners of ZL1s (in Canada) and letting them know about the tire 'issue' as far as temp goes. They are reading the bulletin posted earlier in this thread from GM.

As far as the difference in driving on them at less than 40 or -7, they are not talking about traction performance, they are referring to the tires cracking.

I've driven the car in temps less than 32F (0C) but I put the PTM in 1- Wet Mode and I drove the car *like* I was driving in snow (roads were bare). I didn't want to find out and wouldn't want to find out what my *new* stopping distance was in an emergency.

Side note - For the Canadian owners of 2013 ZL1s, 153 have been produced to date for Canada.

ZL1Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote