Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
airos4

Drives: 2011 2SS IBM, 2008 Victory Vision
Question Square Config Requires Dealer Trip?

I was looking at some very nice wheels at an awesome price from OEWheelsLLC. The title said 20" SS Wheels, but lower down it said for LS/LT fitment only. I was confused.

I emailed, asking which the wheels would fit and telling them that I was planning to run 9" all around. Here's the response I got.

Thank you for visiting our site, the SS cars have a larger brake caliper on the front that is not compatible with my wheels and I believe the SS come in staggered fitment and if you were to run the same size all the way around you would have to go to the dealer to have your car's configuration changed from staggered to same on 4 corners.

Mildly confused further, I wrote back asking how 20" wheels wouldn't fit on the SS and why I would need to go to a dealer when many people on the board appear to be running them just fine. I know the tire sensors may need to be programmed, but that's not a function of the wheel size, is it?

Response #2

No they will not work on the SS models, they are SS style replicas so the LS/LT models can have that look. It’s not a question as to fitting around the caliper, they do it is the caliper face rubs on the back of the wheel. The cars that came with staggered wheels from the factory are calibrated to always have staggered wheels if they are changed to same size on all 4 corners would need to be changed at the dealer to that configuration or you will have a warning light on your dash. That information comes from the Chevrolet dealership, just relaying that information to you.

I feel like one of us is missing something here. Anyone care to illuminate me on this?
airos4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
It sounds like there is not enough offset or clearance behind the wheel to clear the Brembo brakes on an SS. As for the rest of his response, it's BS, the car doesn't know how wide the wheels are. People are running a square set up all the time. You could get one wheel and do a test fit without mounting a tire. A small spacer of say 1/4 inch might do the trick if you have your heart set on these wheels.

Why not just surf the for sale section on here and pick you up some nice used wheels. There nearly always some for sale at a good price.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
airos4

Drives: 2011 2SS IBM, 2008 Victory Vision
I've been looking for a set for a while, and the for sale section is a big factor. Just stumbled across them and was curious.
airos4 is offline   Reply With Quote