Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #169
toasterfires

Drives: BMW 328i
I bought the Moda EB1's and the Blizzack WS70s for my 2010 2LT/RS at the beginning of Nov, Installed them right after thanksgiving. I bought the TPM sensors as well.

Breif Thoughts: These tires feel nothing like the stock tires (I expected this). I will say that the tires have a break in of some sort, when I was first driving with them they were extremely easy to spin but this got better over time. I also find that they seem to really blow when its above 40F out but when it gets colder (say below 20F) they grip like crazy. I have yet to drive it in snow but I am pretty confident that it should be fine. I also bought Weathertech winter floor mats for the front, back, and trunk (The fit is AWESOME).

One oddity is that the TPM sensors don't seem to be as accurate as the stock ones, 3 of the sensors consistently read 2lbs lower than the tires actually are, 1 sensor reads right on. It doesn't really bother me but I found it a bit odd. Has anyone else bought sensors from tire rack and noticed this?
toasterfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #170
JeSSter

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Cyber Gray Metallic
I have a 2011 2SS/RS CGM with Silver stripes. I will drive it year round. My daily commute is about 45 miles one way. I traded a 2006 Trailblazer SS AWD in on the Camaro. The TBSS had 150,000 miles on it at trade in. All it took was a brief encounter with a light dusting of snow for me to understand what "Summer Only" meant for tires on this beast. Rudy set me up with a set of 18 inch rims and Blizzak WS70s. Just had our first big blizzard yesterday. The Camaro handled the snow and ice great. I have to say, it was as good as driving the AWD TBSS! If the snow gets too deep, I do have a 4X4 Off Road truck that I can drive. I don't think I will have any issues this winter with driving the Camaro. My Summer wheels and tires are tucked safely in the Basement till spring.

JeSSter
JeSSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #171
321LATER
321LATER

Drives: 2019 White ZL1 (On Order)
Sorry if I am asking the same question that has already been posted a thousand times but I tried to read as many posts as possible. I am looking for a 17" or 18" wheel with winter tires and would love to purchase it from Tire Rack. What is recommended? On the site it recommends the 20" package.

I do live in Ottawa CA so snow and slush is our life for 5 months.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #172
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2CGM View Post
Sorry if I am asking the same question that has already been posted a thousand times but I tried to read as many posts as possible. I am looking for a 17" or 18" wheel with winter tires and would love to purchase it from Tire Rack. What is recommended? On the site it recommends the 20" package.

Hi,

You may want to read through the entire thread, but the short answer is you can not run 17's on an SS and to run 18s you would need to remove the "roller skate" brake dampers. It may be helpful for you to give me a call and I can cover all your options.

Rudy
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #173
Rudy@Tirerack

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasterfires View Post
I bought the Moda EB1's and the Blizzack WS70s for my 2010 2LT/RS at the beginning of Nov, Installed them right after thanksgiving. I bought the TPM sensors as well.

Breif Thoughts: These tires feel nothing like the stock tires (I expected this). I will say that the tires have a break in of some sort, when I was first driving with them they were extremely easy to spin but this got better over time. I also find that they seem to really blow when its above 40F out but when it gets colder (say below 20F) they grip like crazy. I have yet to drive it in snow but I am pretty confident that it should be fine. I also bought Weathertech winter floor mats for the front, back, and trunk (The fit is AWESOME).

One oddity is that the TPM sensors don't seem to be as accurate as the stock ones, 3 of the sensors consistently read 2lbs lower than the tires actually are, 1 sensor reads right on. It doesn't really bother me but I found it a bit odd. Has anyone else bought sensors from tire rack and noticed this?

Hi,

Thanks for your order. Thats odd about the sensors. I have not heard any other issues. We use the same sensor that comes from the factory. There must be a plus/minus accuracy percentage for these.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #174
Rudy@Tirerack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeSSter View Post
I have a 2011 2SS/RS CGM with Silver stripes. I will drive it year round. My daily commute is about 45 miles one way. I traded a 2006 Trailblazer SS AWD in on the Camaro. The TBSS had 150,000 miles on it at trade in. All it took was a brief encounter with a light dusting of snow for me to understand what "Summer Only" meant for tires on this beast. Rudy set me up with a set of 18 inch rims and Blizzak WS70s. Just had our first big blizzard yesterday. The Camaro handled the snow and ice great. I have to say, it was as good as driving the AWD TBSS! If the snow gets too deep, I do have a 4X4 Off Road truck that I can drive. I don't think I will have any issues this winter with driving the Camaro. My Summer wheels and tires are tucked safely in the Basement till spring.

JeSSter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysee View Post
Hey Rudy, I received my new ASA GT4s with scorpions today, thanks for the great service, they arrived in two days! I'll post pics of them when I fit them this weekend and snow's on its way on monday. Perfect timing.
Thanks guys!
Old 12-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #175
JeSSter

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Cyber Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2CGM View Post

Not hard to remove Roller Skates off front brakes. Just took a die grinder and cut them at the connection point. Took about 10 minutes per side. Rudy sold me 18 inch Borbet Type CA Wheels with the Blizzak WS70 tires. Great fit. You do get an occasional squeek from the brakes (which is why the roller skates were put on) and the winter set up is not as cool looking as the Summer wheels and tires. Upside is that you get to survive while driving this beast in the winter!
JeSSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #176
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
I just ordered the Parada Spec X. I've heard good things about them, they are more of an all season that handles snow very well. It only snows here a few times a year and wasn't going to get anything initially until I had to drive in some slush today... frickin rough the supercharger does not make winter driving easier.

Last edited by bigsquirrel; 12-16-2010 at 10:35 PM.
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #177
Rudy@Tirerack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquirrel View Post
I just ordered the Parada Spec X. I've heard good things about them, they are more of an all season that handles snow very well. It only snows here a few times a year and wasn't going to get anything initially until I had to drive in some slush today... frickin rough the supercharger does not make winter driving easier.
Thanks for your business. Let us know how you like the Spec X when you get to test them in the snow or slush. Since this is a winter thread I need to point out the Spec X is an All season tire and not a Winter tire.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #178
Rudy@Tirerack

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Hi Rudy,

I have a 2011 SS and am looking to get winter tires and rims. I've looked through a bunch of the threads and stickies on the subject. Which wheel an tire sizes fit etc, but I don't know which is best. Without beating around the bush I'm looking to get the scorpion snow and ice tires and the cheapest rims that will fit on the car. My budget is pretty tight so not looking for flashy just functional. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My email is raimund.stieger@gmail.com if that is more convenient for you. Thanks.

Ok if you have a SS of any type 1ss, 2ss or RS you first need to check your brakes. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58624 . Do you have these black roller skate dampers at the top of the Pad. If you do I do not have any 17,18 wheels that will work. I have 1 19 inch option but it is EXPENSIVE. So you can either remove the dampers by cutting them off or changing out the pads with a aftermarket pad. If you do this you may have increased brake noise (squeal) occasionally. If you do not want to do that you will need to stay with 20 inch wheels and I do not have any really cheap 20s that will work. The KMC Rockstar starts about $250 ish. Hopefully this helps some. If you remove the dampers we can look at some cheaper options, but because of the nature of the modifications you will need to contact and deal with me directly.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #179
Rudy@Tirerack

Lets hear from some more people out there. Let see your pixs and reviews!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #180
JCO2185
RIDING ON AIR

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Summit White
Hi Rudy, i need your opinion.

I drive my Camaro everyday, and i live in NY. Last winter was pretty bad and they are saying that this winter might be just as worse with the snow. I need to get new rear tires. Is it better to get an all season tire, or would it be better to get a winter tire? I will be using the same tires during the spring time as well...

Is it bad to drive on a winter tire during spring and summer months?

i was looking at the Pirelli scorpions

--John--2010 Camaro 2LT/RS, Summit White
Air Ride Suspension, BBK Longtube Headers, Hi-Flo cats, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Elite Catch-Can, Airraid CAI, Trifecta tune, ZL1 front end with Phantom grille, ZL1 side skirts, MRR228 graphite wheels
JCO2185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #181
Rudy@Tirerack

It sounds like your only look to replace ONLY the rear tires. You will want to give this some thought. By putting all season/winter tires in the back its true you will be able to go in the snow. The problem is the front summer tires will not be able to stop or turn the car. You can drive winter tires in the summer, but its not recommended because it will cause them to wear much faster and they do not handle as well as the summers. Give me a call at the Tire Rack Ext 664 so we can discuss and find the best setup for your needs.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #182
JCO2185
RIDING ON AIR

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Summit White
Rudy, i just sent you an email

--John--2010 Camaro 2LT/RS, Summit White
Air Ride Suspension, BBK Longtube Headers, Hi-Flo cats, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Elite Catch-Can, Airraid CAI, Trifecta tune, ZL1 front end with Phantom grille, ZL1 side skirts, MRR228 graphite wheels
JCO2185 is offline   Reply With Quote