Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Tires to go on my new wheels

Hey all. I recently purchased a new set of wheels to use for the track, and very occasional street use (car shows/cruise nights/etc)..and now I need to decide what rubber to put on them.

I picked up the Race star 18" dark star drag pack. So 18x10.5 for the rear, and 18x5 for the front. Since the front wheels aren't rated for street use, I intend to put my stock wheels/street tires back on if I plan to take a trip very far, and realize there are some caveats to driving with skinnies up front.

Knowing that I don't want to deviate a whole lot from the stock tire size, that seems to limit my options a lot. Seems like the only front runner contender for me is the 28X6-18 MT Sportsman SR.

One of my questions is, how far in difference can the back tire be size-wise before it starts giving the car fits? Was hoping to avoid taking fuses out every time I drive with these. I am leaning towards going with the P305/40R18 MT Street SS. Largely because they are the same size as the fronts diameter wise, and should keep issues from popping up. Downside, they are pretty spendy at almost $400 a tire!

Have also looked into an nt05r. The P305/45R18 NT05r are priced better at $283, but is 28.90" tall in that size. Very close to stock, but almost a whole inch taller than the fronts I planned on. Is that going to be enough to cause issues size wise? They also come in a P315/40R18 that is just over 28" tall, but seems like it is pretty wide for a 10.5 wheel? They are also quite a bit more - like close to the MT SS's

There are also a couple sizes of NT555r's that may work, but these look like they would be the least "grippy" as well. The P305/40R18 is 27.72" and the 305/45R18 is 28.78". Thinking one of these 2 choices is what I will run when I get a new street tire setup, and run the regular 555s up front.

Curious to get some other thoughts before I for sure pull the trigger. Thanks
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote