Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Okay FI crowd...convince me to drop a blower on my car instead of a cam.....

Okay....I'm coming down to the wire here on the next upgrade.

I've been going back and forth between a blower and a cam swap. After having multiple cam cars, I know what to expect...both good and bad.

I want to hear from the supercharged crowd about their rides....good and bad, to steer me towards a blower.

Thanks much!
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
Why not do the cam first and then the F.I. thats the way im going for maximum bang! ;-)
Old 06-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
I have the 2.8H Kenne Bell kit and it makes just a little under 7.5 psi. The blower is visually appealing, it sounds great, and it is made with top quality parts.

Driving is much more enjoyable with their kit installed. You can drive around at very light throttle and it feels tame (the exhaust just sounds better) but you can also feel the extra power.

Every degree further that you press the gas pedal offers more power and at WOT the car feels crisp and strong.

As everyone says, gas mileage really depends on the way you drive. If you drive around very conservatively, you will not notice too much of a difference.

I don't see any negative to owning a supercharger. Heat is not an issue. In fact, my car's coolant temps run lower than they did when the car was stock. And I drive around in 110* F weather -- stop and go traffic.

I just think the extra power, the sound, and the look of their kit makes my driving experience better on a daily basis. I'm very proud to own one of their systems.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Huggerorange73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 2010 Sin View Post
Why not do the cam first and then the F.I. thats the way im going for maximum bang! ;-)
The cams I'm looking at more than likely would not play nice with a FI setup! It's going to be one or other, not both...it is a good idea though, just can't get the wife on board with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
I have the 2.8H Kenne Bell kit and it makes just a little under 7.5 psi. The blower is visually appealing, it sounds great, and it is made with top quality parts.

Driving is much more enjoyable with their kit installed. You can drive around at very light throttle and it feels tame (the exhaust just sounds better) but you can also feel the extra power.

Every degree further that you press the gas pedal offers more power and at WOT the car feels crisp and strong.

As everyone says, gas mileage really depends on the way you drive. If you drive around very conservatively, you will not notice too much of a difference.

I just think the extra power, the sound, and the look of their kit makes my driving experience better on a daily basis. I'm very proud to own one of their systems.
Thanks for the excellent feedback
Old 06-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
SonnyakaPig

You're welcome. Now, go get boosted.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Huggerorange73
Banned

Quote:
You're welcome. Now, go get boosted.
I've already contacted Edelbrock with regards to their E Force set up as well as Magnacharger. The only wrinkle I have is the 1 7/8 longtubes & the CAI which looks as if it will require a different pulley as well as a custom tune.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
Mister HP

Drives: Speed Shop owner
you may also want to look at the Harrop HTV1900, here is a link to a good thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=hARROP

do a search for it and you can find alot more info, with your current setup, the Harrop kit will put you over 600 RWHP!

let me know if I can answer any questions,
Ed
Mister HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
SonnyakaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
I've already contacted Edelbrock with regards to their E Force set up as well as Magnacharger. The only wrinkle I have is the 1 7/8 longtubes & the CAI which looks as if it will require a different pulley as well as a custom tune.
I don't think you would necessarily need a different pulley. It depends on how much boost you want and your power goals. You would need a different tune with the headers. But there's some really good tuners out there.

Another option is selling your longtubes if you want to stick with a canned tune from the blower manufacturer of your choice. Did you keep your OEM exhaust manifolds? It probably wouldn't be that much more expensive to have whoever installs your blower to switch out your LT's for the stock manifolds.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
Huggerorange73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister HP View Post
you may also want to look at the Harrop HTV1900, here is a link to a good thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=hARROP

do a search for it and you can find alot more info, with your current setup, the Harrop kit will put you over 600 RWHP!

let me know if I can answer any questions,
Ed
Thanks for the info....more to research now!

Quote:
I don't think you would necessarily need a different pulley. It depends on how much boost you want and your power goals. You would need a different tune with the headers. But there's some really good tuners out there.

Another option is selling your longtubes if you want to stick with a canned tune from the blower manufacturer of your choice. Did you keep your OEM exhaust manifolds? It probably wouldn't be that much more expensive to have whoever installs your blower to switch out your LT's for the stock manifolds.
The longtubes cuase a drop off in the 5 psi boost level of the OEM kit...because of that, you need a different pulley to get the psi back up to 5. Otherwise you'll be pushing less boost!

To this point, every part on the car has been put on by me....the supercharger would be no different...but it will have to visit a tuner to get everything dialed in! Pulling off the longtubes isn't an option, I the sound and power gains they bring!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
thekid96

Drives: Z06, 69 Camaro
Here is the best reason to go with some form of FI:
A good heads/cam set-up will get you to 500whp. After 500 you will want 600, trust me on this one. Most H/C combos don't play well with FI so you are now left with nitrous, or pulling the H/C to get the CR back up. Put the H/C $ towards a clutch a go FI from the get go.
There are a lot of people pulling H/C combos to go FI. In contrast you don't see many people pulling bowers or turbos off to put a monster cam in, lose 100+whp and sacrifice their off-idle drivability.
thekid96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
i have kb also...very stealth until you wot. than all hell breaks loose.. with lts and a good tune - ls3 easily will surpass the 600 rwhp.. only real problem you will have than is possible fuel pressure, clutch{ls3} , axles ,cv joints, tires, speeding tickets and staying out of the throttle.. did i mention tires....good luck...oh ,did i mention tires
mikepage0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Supercharge it
Old 06-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #13
Single_Turbo_G8

Drives: Pontiac G8 GT
Head/cam ss-need a great launch plus converter and tires to go 11s and the whole world will know ur chopping

supercharged ss-street tire 11 sec car-no lope stealthy as hell but there is heat issues-retain stock like drivability and trap 120s

your choice
Single_Turbo_G8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #14
Mike@RMCR

Drives: Supercharged
Here is a dyno comparing a 2010 LS3 w/ ARH 1 7/8 Headers, Intake and exhaust with a LG G6X3 camshaft and with a 2010 LS3 with same headers and exhaust and a Vortech Si Supercharger with 3.33" SC pulley. Both cars were tuned by us.

The dips on the supercharger run is my Tach leads from the Dyno. Sometimes they are a thorn in my side

Run 15 is the LG G6X3 Camshaft and run 12 is the Vortech.

Mike@RMCR is offline   Reply With Quote