Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
Bigdog@Reno,NV

Drives: 2014 ZL1 SIM
'14 Z28 gets waxed by 200hp Subaru BRZ

I have to pass this on to you. My main sales guy sends me this e-mail this morning after hearing me rattle on for months about the ZL1 (that's what I bought 3 months ago) and then the new Z28 and it's "Ring" times and so on...

He simply said, " the driver is more important than the car".

This Subaru guy is a friend of my guy's friend and was at the track that day. He told my guy that the Subaru guy attended this school...

http://skipbarber.com/indycar-academy/

Look at some of the other cars on the list. One is another Camaro he beat by over 10 seconds!
Bigdog@Reno,NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
I think I'd be more concerned if I was sponsored by an engine builder, and I was only 2 seconds faster than a '07 Miata.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
I think I'd be more concerned if I was sponsored by an engine builder, and I was only 2 seconds faster than a '07 Miata.
LOL!!! HEY-OOOO!!!
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
BRZ is also a 1000 lbs lighter isn't it? Pretty different cars I think.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Yep and I got waxed by a bunch of s2000's in an autox...so what? I'll do better next time and still be waxed...its all fun.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
2NASSTY

Drives: 2014 M6 ZL1
I wouldn't worry about Man. With all the well deserved track hype of this Ride there is going to be a lot undeserved pressure on all z/28 owners that track their cars to do well.

Probably more then ever recorded by a Camaro in decades. Enjoy your BADASS Ride Man!
06' LeMans Blue Metallic Z06, 11.726 at 127.80 MPH Motor - SOLD.
96' Impala SS LTx, 11.397 at 118.10 MPH Motor, 1st stage 10.526 at 127.46 MPH
2NASSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #7
McRat

I don't think the BRZ driver needs a cheerleader. He appears to do that quite well himself:

http://www.bradyhalbasch.com/

There are lots of excellent drivers looking a ride. Only a few make it to the big show.

But I'm not sure complaining about the lack of funding for racing is the right path to take:

Quote:
18 titles and over 300 awards later, Brady was one of the brightest young upcoming drivers in America seeking open wheel opportunities at the age of 21. In 2008 everything he worked for began to fall apart with the economic recession. Sadly, the motorsport industry transitioned from a profession requiring skill and marketability into a hobby for wealthy individuals. This was due to the lack of corporate funding. The price of racing increased and the financial resources were scarce.

After knocking on hundreds of doors seeking a driving opportunity, facing rejection day-after-day, it was mentally wearing on a 23 year old protégé. Some of the best athletes in the world never get an opportunity due to poor timing or circumstances out their control. Unemployment, rejection, family financial crises, passing of family members, and people entering his life only take from him; it was safe to say Brady found himself quickly. Hitting rock bottom, Brady decided that it was time for change.

$450 bought a business license, self-improvement books, and a computer to start a company called West Coast Engines. It was Brady’s way of helping others and potentially breaking through a financial barrier that inhibited him from driving. Currently at age 26, Brady is taking the engine aftermarket industry by storm. His vision is to grow West Coast Engines into the biggest online based performance engine retailer in America and connect with resources along the way to get him back into a racing opportunity.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #8

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
...BRZs are pretty sweet.....In fact all Subarus are good cars....My kid has a '14 WRX...(hasn't tracked it yet)....A buddy of mine has one also, and he beats 90% of us Camaros at auto-x....

....They always put up a good showing at big tracks as well....(which is always a mixed bag of results)......
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
I don't think the BRZ driver needs a cheerleader. He appears to do that quite well himself:

http://www.bradyhalbasch.com/

There are lots of excellent drivers looking a ride. Only a few make it to the big show.

But I'm not sure complaining about the lack of funding for racing is the right path to take:
Wow. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug. If the quoted text is intended to help get him sponsorship, good luck. If it's intended to attract business, good luck. I don't know the guy, but it's hard to read that and not think he's more than a little bitter...
Old 06-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog@Reno,NV View Post
I have to pass this on to you. My main sales guy sends me this e-mail this morning after hearing me rattle on for months about the ZL1 (that's what I bought 3 months ago) and then the new Z28 and it's "Ring" times and so on...

He simply said, " the driver is more important than the car".!
The single biggest improvement in lap times is always had by working on the nut behind the wheel. I think Pete did a pretty good job in the Z/28, given that the car's probably just now getting broken in. I know I'm still getting up to speed in mine, as it's drastically different than what I drove before. I sure hope nobody looks at my lap times and judges either me or the car based on those times!
Old 06-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #11
McRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
Wow. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug. If the quoted text is intended to help get him sponsorship, good luck. If it's intended to attract business, good luck. I don't know the guy, but it's hard to read that and not think he's more than a little bitter...
He needs to really work on the resume sheet. It has to have specific examples of media coverage. If nobody can see you, nobody will sponsor you.

I'm a bit puzzled why he's not on staff as an instructor at one of the tracks. That gives you free seat-time and contacts. Way better than buying your own tires.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #12
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Lol...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365973

"PS- The car does not like bumpy tracks, far too stiffly sprung. Can't keep it hooked up and it's punishing to the driver and the car. Sebring for example will not be a good track or lap time for a Z/28. Unfortunately my home track is now a disaster and no longer usable until they repave the damn thing. Smooth tracks it's a joy. An observation, not a complaint, ideally you tune a car to a specific track, bumpy tracks need softer springs and softer compression on the dampers to keep the tires hooked up."

Looks like someone was in such a hurry to post a "kill" story they didn't bother to do any homework. BTW- Where is the Club Trials Quali sheet photo? Will you post that

I've been faster by more than 7 seconds (1:53.5) on the H config driving other cars (street legal cars on street tires) in previous years. Your sales guy is correct the driver is more important than the car. As evidenced by my ability to post faster times than Ferraris and GT-R's (in CT) and generally the race-prep machinery (in TT) that has showed up to events in past years.

Brady is a great driver, I right-seated his original check-out and track orientation laps a couple years ago at that track and it was obvious he was quite talented. Don't take that quote above the wrong way, he is a positive, good natured guy and is pulling himself up by his bootstraps, as a fellow entrepreneur I respect and applaud that. This weekend, we spent an hour or so chatting in my friends trailer, I hope he attains his goals because we'll be watching him on TV

Was your "Sales Guy" at the track Saturday Bigdog? Was he driving? Because the fact is that track, as I noted above, has a surface that is now for many cars, undrivable. Bumpy, and the surface is lunar-like, my goal was to survive the event without breaking the car. The "line" was where it was the least bumpy, not where I wanted to place the car. I was sliding around with no grip on that stuff.

The pics are from two years ago, it's far worse now. You take a softly sprung 2800lb car with a great driver and run it on a bumpy as hell track against a 3700lbs car which is very stiffly sprung, the outcome is pre-ordained.

Some folks might want to relax and take a chill pill before assuming things.
Attached Images

Last edited by Zfatuated; 06-30-2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #13
Zfatuated

PS- I don't recall ever seeing a ZL1 at this track this year?

Old 06-30-2014, 05:01 PM   #14
Zfatuated

PSS- your salesman's friend of a friend who knows somebody didn't bother to mention the "Subaru Guy" (Brady) was out of brakes after two laps in every session? Might have contributed to those lap times

The lap time comment was a joke of course but while he was "waxing" me he was also trying not to die. Guess things like that don't matter to those who choose yakking vs tracking

Yes, my brakes were fine, thanks for asking

I have to poke you with the sharp stick since you started this thread