Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #1
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Modifying for " Dummies"

Hello All,

I have started this thread for people like me who have no clue about mods to our new Camaro's. From basic stuff like axle back to forced induction. The purpose is to inform the uninformed about what to look for in buying aftermarket products, what items actually supposed to do for your car, what are the steps in completing a project ie... headers first, cam second etc...

Please do not turn this into Vendor A is Better than Vendor B type thing, this is for people who want to add things but don't know where to start or how to accomplish what they would like their Camaro to perform or sound like.

Vendors are more than welcome to post videos of basic changes all the way to forced induction products like superchargers.

So here is the first few questions.

What does a cam do?

What is the difference in ProCharger, Supercharger, Turbo Charger, one screw, two screw ( All these things I have read on this site)? Is it a brand thing or do they actually do something different?

Thanks and look forward to reading your responses. Mods, if this is in the wrong place please move it, thanks John
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Cams change the pumping efficiency of your engine, and typically shift your power curve around. The more aggressive a cam is, the less efficient your engine becomes at lower RPMs (but becomes more efficient at higher RPMs).

Major factors of a cam:
Duration
Lift
Split

Duration is how long the valve is open, measured in degrees of crankshaft rotation starting and ending at 0.050" valve lift. This is typically the advertised duration you see. Lift is the maximum valve lift accomplished, which can also change with your rocker arms depending on what ratio they are. The rocker arms multiply the lift of the cam lobe (I believe the LS3 uses 1.7 rockers). Split (or lobe separation aka LSA) is how far apart the center lines of the intake an exhaust lobes are, again measured in crankshaft degrees. A byproduct of duration and LSA is overlap, which is how long both the intake an exhaust valves are open. Overlap typically dictates drivability of a cam. This is a very watered down explanation.

I've got too much else going on to write up about forced induction right now.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

So if you change your cam, more than likely you will have to change something else because of the added force, such as lifters and springs, maybe pushrods Etc....Correct?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
So if you change your cam, more than likely you will have to change something else because of the added force, such as lifters and springs, maybe pushrods Etc....Correct?
Typically you need new valve springs, retainers, keepers, and seats/seals. Those can be had for about $275 for everything. Pushrods may have to be changed if the length ends up being wrong because of a change in the base circle of the new cam.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Bump for discussion
Old 04-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
sparaz
867-5309

Drives: 2010 CMG RS & 86 black Z28 3rd gen
Good things Dr Jekel. I'm also a wannabe gearhead, but mostly an idiot when it comes to the stuff. I'm shooting blind with a lot of the stuff i'm doing. So far it's a lot of safe bets, and everything has been done with expert advice of people who know far more than I do.

I'd like some info on the headers. As I understand long block headers will void my warranty and my visual smog inspection here in california. But I will get the most HP gain from them. I also hear i'll have to add some pipe and potentially move the cat on some products. The reason this ties into tuning is because a lot of people have been getting the CEL on modifying their headers, and some tune it right off, but I don't want to completely void the engine portion of my warranty due to unauthorized tuning... any help on that part would be awesome.
sparaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Jason L

Drives: 2004 Pontiac GTO
^ there really isn't any way around that. In CA you have emissions in 5 years rite? so you have 5 years unless you get nabbed for something else I would assume. Past that you have to run shorties. The problem with the CEL is you have moved the Cats too far back and the rear o2's do not heat up fast enough so you get a code. This and because of efficiency is why you get the car tuned, if you are scared of the warranty void problem I guess you could have issues either way. I know out here things like boltons most dealers don't care but you come in with a Supercharger and Rods hanging out of the side of the engine they scratch their heads a little.
Jason L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
sparaz
867-5309

Drives: 2010 CMG RS & 86 black Z28 3rd gen
my dealership is very tempremental... small town. I know where you're coming from. I may stick to shorty headers just to avoid smog issues in the end. I'll have to make up the power in a turbo kit after abou 60k miles.
sparaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:23 AM   #9
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

So what do you gain from Shorty Headers, sound?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Bump for discussion
Old 04-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #11
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
pretty much just sound from what i've researched, the stock manifolds are quite efficient.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #12
Jason L

Drives: 2004 Pontiac GTO
If you put a cam in the car without headers you are going to suffocate it. You have to think engine is an air pump, more in and you can't get more out its going to not pick up much power. You would really need to do that first or at the same time otherwise your results will be minimal unless you buy a very certain type of cam that is designed to work with stock manifolds.
Jason L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:11 AM   #13
Mickalo
Who Dat?

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS A6
Send a message via Skype™ to Mickalo
this is a great thread,,,im learnin !!
Mickalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:19 AM   #14
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE