Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 01-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
jimbow

Drives: 2012 2LS Camaro - RIP 10/3/2021
Stock Road Course use

While my 92 Corvette is having the engine freshened I have to instruct at an event in a few weeks.
I have a 2012 2LS (V6 auto w/paddle shifters) I'm going to use it for a few runs on the track and was wondering what folks thought about the stock brake pads for a 20 min session?
Course looks like CMP as far as top speeds and braking effort.

If I replace pads for the track any ideas on brand and compound that will be compatible with the street pads? I'll be driving 8/10 not full out cause I still owe the bank and the HPDE insurace has a $2500 deductible
jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
Camaricopa

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS BLK/ORG
Your pads will be fine. It's the the Stock DOT 3 you will want to replace. I use ATE SuperBlue some other guys use Motul.
Camaricopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaricopa View Post
Your pads will be fine. It's the the Stock DOT 3 you will want to replace. I use ATE SuperBlue some other guys use Motul.
+1 on the SuperBlue. I have a 2SS, but it will still get spongy after 4-5 sessions on the track. Pads and tires hold up just fine.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
I had replaced the dot 3 with dot4 but forgot to bleed the inner nipple on the calipers on my first hpde ... pedal went all the way to the floor on 2 hard braking sections of the track. i bled the outer nipples but there was still residual dot3 in the lines. i had a lot of fade with the stock pads. a 20 minute session is equivalent to 8k street miles on your pads so after a full day the stockers will be toast. i immediately went and got ss lines, ctsv upgrade and hawk dtc 30 pads with percryo.com frozen rotors. no comparison to the stock pads really. worth the money and easy diy. just wish i had done it before my hpde because i lost 2 sessions of valuable seat time...

Anyone telling you that stock pads are fine isn't braking in a manner that is required for higher speeds with this heavy of a car. 4k lbs is a lot to get slowed down...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Post Tenebras Lux

full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Camaricopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by full of days View Post
Anyone telling you that stock pads are fine isn't braking in a manner that is required for higher speeds with this heavy of a car. 4k lbs is a lot to get slowed down...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Since he stated he only was going to use the Camaro for a few sessions for instructing his stock pads will be fine. I assumed since he races a vette he knows what needs to be done to take it to that level.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
jimbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaricopa View Post
Since he stated he only was going to use the Camaro for a few sessions for instructing his stock pads will be fine. I assumed since he races a vette he knows what needs to be done to take it to that level.
Yep, and I know it doesn't have the Brembos so there is only one bleeder screw. Plain old sliders.

I'll see if I can get my go-pro hooked up and get some video, event is 2/18 & 2/19
Old 02-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbow View Post
Yep, and I know it doesn't have the Brembos so there is only one bleeder screw. Plain old sliders.

I'll see if I can get my go-pro hooked up and get some video, event is 2/18 & 2/19
As an instructor, your driving will be smooth and controlled. That takes a good deal of load off the brakes

The SS pads are a good combination street track pad if you don't over drive them. I am not so sure on the six brake pads. I would be very interested in getting details on how they hold up for you. How many miles do you have on your stock rotors and pads?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
jimbow

Lets see took delivery 12/9/2011 - has about 2200 miles on it now, should be around 2500 miles when I get on track.

I'll report back on how they wear.
If I have to use the Camaro for more instruction events I'll chat with Carbotech and see if they will make at least an XP8 for this pad shape.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
Camaricopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbow View Post

Since you do not actualy say what state your end..Any chance that your 02/18-02/19 event will be at AMP(Arizona Motorsports Park)? That is where I'll be that weekend.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
jimbow

It was supposed to be at Atlanta Motor Speedway. I got an email today from the organizers that they did not get enough students to have the event so I'll be working on the motor for the Corvette instead and doing taxes.

A different AMP near me is Atlanta Motorsports Park, but its not open yet. Expecting to get on that track in May.

If anyone is interested to get out on the track and you are east of the Mississippi I can suggest that you seriously consider the Carolina Mustang Club event at Carolina Motorsports Park the first weekend in June. For the money its one of the best ways to learn how to drive your car better. Novice group even allows convertibles.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
JLBIII

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS
Going to try autocross for the first time next month with my L99. What mode should I run in and any other advice for a novice driver: tire pressure, fuel, brake fluid, etc? Thanks

JB
JLBIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
jimbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBIII View Post
Going to try autocross for the first time next month with my L99. What mode should I run in and any other advice for a novice driver: tire pressure, fuel, brake fluid, etc? Thanks

JB
Since its your first time leave the nannies on and tires at stock pressure.
After you get a feel for the course take some dressmakers chalk and put a few chalk lines from the trad to the sidewall. Make em thick enough you can see them. Make a run, see how far the chalk is gone. If its down on the sidewall add a couple pounds to all tires. Repeat.
Day 2 you can take traction control off after a session or two.

As far as fuel goes, your second autocross try it with 1/2 tank, bring fuel to keep it at 1/2. Day 2 try 1/4 tank. Remember to watch your tires.

Most autocross courses are not long enough to overheat your brakes.

Autocross is all in finding the rhythm of the car and course. Unless there is a long straight you'll be in first and second for a whole minute.

Talk with other competitors and see what works for them. Try it.

I don't autocross much anymore - 60 sec runs compared to 15-20 min on a road course.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #13
JLBIII

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS
Thanks Jimbow
Here's the course I'll be at:

http://www.njmp.com/wp-content/uploa...bers-clean.pdf

All beginner class driver will have a PD with them. I'll have four .5 hr sessions on the track during the day.

One quick question. I'm 6'1" and have long legs and drive with my seat back. Does it matter how far I position myself from the steering wheel? I have an L99 with A6

JB
JLBIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
jimbow

What I look for in a student body position is:
Are the arms a little bent at the elbows
Is the body in contact with the seat
is the helmet close the the head rest
Is the helmet scraping the roof

I'm 6'4" and with the seat all the way down and leaned back more than my wife likes it my wrists land right on the steering wheel. Its the way I drive all the time, including in my track only Corvette. I'm comfortable, in contact with the seat, head with helmet has clearance and is very close, if not just touching the head rest.

Have fun - it can be real addicting!