Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #29
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The C6 Z06 was only 3 seconds behind the ZR1 around the Ring despite being down 130 hp. Balance is as important, if not more so, than hp.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #30
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
I don't see why a 6th gen ZL1 would way as much as a 5th gen ZL1.. I'm expecting around 3,900-3,950 pounds.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #31
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
I don't see why a 6th gen ZL1 would way as much as a 5th gen ZL1.. I'm expecting around 3,900-3,950 pounds.
Pretty much.

Because of similar equipment and weights, all you need to do is subtract the 200lbs that Alpha brings to the table and boom...you've got your 6th Gen weights. If the 5th Gen was 4,150-4,200lbs..then expect the 6th Gen to be in the 3,900-4,000 range or around there...maybe closer to 3,900.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:54 AM   #32
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The C6 Z06 was only 3 seconds behind the ZR1 around the Ring despite being down 130 hp. Balance is as important, if not more so, than hp.
touche
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #33
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
As for the performance of the newer versions of the cars, the ring WILL NOT give us any indication of the performance improvements over the Gen5 nor versus many of the other cars that have tested there because the ring has undergone extensive updates to the track since the Gen5 and most of the other cars ran there. If you remember, there was this big noise about the GT350 besting the Z/28 times at the ring YET Ford never really made to much noise about it because the track updates made the times incomparable.
I don't believe the changes to the track are as extensive as you believe. They resurfaced a little over 1/4 mile of the track to smooth out bumps. Over a 12 mile track that is not a lot. Granted removing those bumps will lead to improved lap times but we can't know how much. I personally don't think it will render the old times completely useless as a comparison. There has not been any significant redesign although there are plans. Other changes were for spectator safety and would not impact lap times. VIR has actually undergone similar resurfacing in the past 5 years or so.

The Z/28 may have been brought along for just such a reason, or it may have been because the hero run in the Z/28 was under partially wet conditions and they wanted to set a better baseline for comparison.

Finally the GT350 times were not released because that is Ford's policy. They haven't released times and they say they won't. I would like for them to change their policy but it is what it is. It wasn't because of changes to the course. I suspect they don't want to get into the arms race of having to release a ring time with every performance car lest it be viewed as a failure. I agree that ring times aren't the best measure and Ford probably agrees. Laying down a hero run at the ring takes a lot of effort and comes at great expense. Much better to use VIR, Laguna Seca, or some other more local track that they can spend more time at.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:06 PM   #34
ThatRedFirebird

Drives: 2002 Pontiac T/Am, 2016 Camaro 2SS
The biggest thing I'm wondering is whether or not the Z28 is still separate or a "Ultra ZL1." That's going to mostly come from the engine choice, but listening with my crappy ear buds I couldn't detect if the ZL1/Z28 'Ring videos had different engines. Might try again with my good ones later.

As far as I've seen, Chevy doesn't have any new NA engines coming and there's no way the LS7 gets used again (even though I'd be fine with it + mild tuning bumps). I just don't really want to see another supercharged car that needs to be babied at the track when the old Z28 could run endlessly.

Either way, it should be vicious!

Fingers crossed curb weight ends up below 3800 still.
ThatRedFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #35
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
I wish we had some info on the Z/28 TQ compared to ZL1.
If the engine is a 7 liter N/A, then it should still have a nice Low End TQ below 4000 RPM.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #36
EddieC

Drives: previous 69 Z2/8 Now ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
As an owner of both cars in their Gen5 variant I will never say the Z/28 is the top of the food chain for the Camaro. The ZL1 is too balanced to be 2nd to the track focused Z/28. While the Z/28 may cost more (or did when I bought it), IMHO the ZL1 is top of the Camaro food chain in the Gen5. It simply is better at more things than the Z/28 and a very close 2nd in the one area the Z/28 accels.

As for the performance of the newer versions of the cars, the ring WILL NOT give us any indication of the performance improvements over the Gen5 nor versus many of the other cars that have tested there because the ring has undergone extensive updates to the track since the Gen5 and most of the other cars ran there. If you remember, there was this big noise about the GT350 besting the Z/28 times at the ring YET Ford never really made to much noise about it because the track updates made the times incomparable. So, I would be looking to VIR for the new numbers that are comparable to the Gen5 and other cars:

To review, the Z/28 ran VIR in 2:50.9 and the ZL1 ran it in 2:57.5 in Gen5.

I think we will see the Gen6 ZL1 come in @ 2:46'ish and the Z/28 (if that is what we are seeing and is a radical as I hope with CF wheels and option for rear seat delete, etc. somewhere in the 2:42'ish (the 2015 Z06 ran it in 2:41.3). Could be way off but I would think that is where GM would like to see thing fall.
At 7 seconds a lap it would take 23.7 laps to Lap the ZL1. The ZL1 is no where near as fast as the Z28 on the track
EddieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:59 PM   #37
The Idiocracy

Drives: 2016 Black SS
Setting a fast time at the Ring is a metric, not the goal. A fast time is the result of a car that is very good at all aspects of the track. That's why the Ring is used, because its one track that truly tests a car. What is it...135 turns? and not a single entry or exit is the same.

You develop a car at LAguna, or VIR, or wherever, you get a car that is good at that particular track. Develop at the Ring, you get a car that is fast as hell and good everywhere.
The Idiocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:20 PM   #38

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
Best lap time is the best lap time. Regardless of the length of the track. These guys are capable of finishing short tracks consistently within tenths of seconds of their best lap and a track like the ring within a second. Repeatedly! Driver error is not a factor in the published times anymore than Any other track.
The skill level variances of the test drivers alone could explain 4 - 10 second lap time variances, so ... The lap times posted are like political polls having a 3 - 4 % margin of error. Or in this case it's a "time margin" error. If I see a ring time of 7:48 and a 7:42, hell, that's simply unreliable. Add weather, temps, whatever other variables you want to that. "Capability".... Tenths of a second? Professionals can have off days too. Ok, I guess we just have to overlook all those ��