Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-30-2017, 08:50 AM   #71
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Nothing is sacred. While we have a rich history in the Camaro and various trims, we’ve added and revised a lot of trims and their meanings throughout Camaro history. When the Camaro came out, the SS was an attainable street performer that could be bought within one’s annual salary, even at a young age. The performance and price of a Camaro SS now exceed most budgets without saving for a while. Times have changed, and so has the car, but GM still needs to appeal to young, performance-minded buyers. How do they do it? They need to introduce sporty, inexpensive cars with their own story at the entry level. The SS will still compete with GT and R/T competitors, but GM needs to come up with a product that fights these cheap imports, otherwise young buyers will end up driving sporty Civics.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:00 AM   #72
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010reddevil View Post
Hell if they made that retro A body type Chevelle, it would sell like candy I betcha! Still think it needs a few tweaks here and there, namely more muscular curves like the original. That's why the 5th looks so good, the lines and curves. While they're at it, how about a modern X body Nova too.
This ...I agree with. But just have 2 trim choices. A 500 + hp SS v8 and a v6 choice.And make it affordable.....market it as a budget minded modern muscle car. A lightly optioned car with most common standard features found in todays cars with no leather and a choice of manual or auto trans would really make it a hit.I know I would get one.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:04 AM   #73
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingz View Post
Uh , protest ? What's the problem with the protest going on ?
Insert sarcasm emoji...
Old 09-30-2017, 09:07 AM   #74
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
What!? To quote Moto-Mojo "This is heresy", discontinue the Camaro? Turn in your Camaro5 membership card sir! In a sense Chevrolet still has the Chevelle it just called the Malibu now, but seriously a retro Chevelle would be pretty interesting if done right. But then there`s the problem of which gen. Chevelle would it be? Me, I always liked the 65`s body style.
I think it HAS to be the '70 Chevelle body. Though I like the 67, I think the 70 gives it the most styling to work with.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:08 AM   #75
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingz View Post
They should bring a retro version of the 2nd or 3rd Gen or just discontinue the camaro and bring back the Chevelle.
i like the lines of this.my 5th gen camaro really reminds me of my old pontiac tempest if it had been modernised(not a bad thing).it would have to have a slightly larger rear seating area because the chevelle was a family sized muscle car.im thinking a lot of young families might buy it instead of a now much smaller camaro.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:21 AM   #76
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Nothing is sacred. While we have a rich history in the Camaro and various trims, we’ve added and revised a lot of trims and their meanings throughout Camaro history. When the Camaro came out, the SS was an attainable street performer that could be bought within one’s annual salary, even at a young age. The performance and price of a Camaro SS now exceed most budgets without saving for a while. Times have changed, and so has the car, but GM still needs to appeal to young, performance-minded buyers. How do they do it? They need to introduce sporty, inexpensive cars with their own story at the entry level. The SS will still compete with GT and R/T competitors, but GM needs to come up with a product that fights these cheap imports, otherwise young buyers will end up driving sporty Civics.
You have to understand that the V8 is not the future any longer. So that much N/A power you're going to have to pay. The new thing is S/C'd or twin turbo V6. Decent numbers at an affordable price. But no roar like a V8. I can see Chevy renaming or eliminating the Camaro one again cause times are changing. You can't keep building 5th gens lol and as you change body styles, it begins to transform into something not associated with the car any longer. I like the front end of the 6th gen however it's not something I'd own...

As a poster said? Bring back the Malibu "chevelle" and Chevy would win again. I'd say either a 67 or 70 would turn heads regardless of either retro design. I prefer the 67 but the ultimate muscle car is the 70 chevelle LS6...

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:28 AM   #77
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
You have to understand that the V8 is not the future any longer. So that much N/A power you're going to have to pay. The new thing is S/C'd or twin turbo V6. Decent numbers at an affordable price. But no roar like a V8. I can see Chevy renaming or eliminating the Camaro one again cause times are changing. You can't keep building 5th gens lol and as you change body styles, it begins to transform into something not associated with the car any longer. I like the front end of the 6th gen however it's not something I'd own...

As a poster said? Bring back the Malibu "chevelle" and Chevy would win again. I'd say either a 67 or 70 would turn heads regardless of either retro design. I prefer the 67 but the ultimate muscle car is the 70 chevelle LS6...

There’s a profitability argument in there, too. More cars doesn’t necessarily mean more money, and GM can sell a premium Chevelle in the same way it sold the Chevy SS: low in volume and high in price.

I don’t think a V8 is a necessary option, but the premium nature of the Camaro SS and above make an argument to keep the V8 an option, even if other engines are available. I’d like to see a return to engine options for trims, badged as SS376 (6.2L V8) or SS218TT (3.6L twin-turbo). Designations like these allow traditional buyers to stick to their V8, even if an alternative is faster. Both could share other components, such as suspensions and interiors.

Someday, car enthusiasts will look back and love these cars, but emerging technologies may make cars a lot faster, more fun, or more interesting. We can’t be too stubborn to enjoy what new options come out in time.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #78
King Nothing
Under a Peterbilt

Drives: Rogue, Durango and Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
The z28s even had crank Windows right up to 2002 they were truly stock strippers

Automatic transmissions with automatic windows sounds like a options to me
Those are called manual windows, hate to break this to you but manual windows were standard on all Camaro's.
Sold-2000 Camaro SS A4 Hardtop #867 of 8913
1 of 103 Bright Rally Red Hardtop SS A4 in 2000
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 By Berger #11BC21
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:17 AM   #79
Wizard1183

Quote:
There’s a profitability argument in there, too. More cars doesn’t necessarily mean more money, and GM can sell a premium Chevelle in the same way it sold the Chevy SS: low in volume and high in price.

I don’t think a V8 is a necessary option, but the premium nature of the Camaro SS and above make an argument to keep the V8 an option, even if other engines are available. I’d like to see a return to engine options for trims, badged as SS376 (6.2L V8) or SS218TT (3.6L twin-turbo). Designations like these allow traditional buyers to stick to their V8, even if an alternative is faster. Both could share other components, such as suspensions and interiors.

Someday, car enthusiasts will look back and love these cars, but emerging technologies may make cars a lot faster, more fun, or more interesting. We can’t be too stubborn to enjoy what new options come out in time.
No no I agree the V8 won't get extinct. But you're now paying for one and in the future you'll pay even more. I wouldn't be surprised if in say 5 yrs if the "SS" is still around it'd be a base of $80K+

Old 09-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #80
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
Those are called manual windows, hate to break this to you but manual windows were standard on all Camaro's.
Should still be there as an option. Stripped car at a cheaper price. But unfortunately that's not an option and no, I'm not talking about the Z/28 lol

Old 09-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #81
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
They're called Crank windows man you call them what you want I'll call them what I want. They may be standard but I've never seen another 2002 with crank Windows except the one I owned.

A true stripper you can argue all you want but your SS was not a stripper

https://www.google.ca/search?safe=ac...73.anozIRXxBXI

There's a Google search of crank windows
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:48 AM   #82
kingz
Banned

Drives: The best!!!!!!!
Quote:

The only problem is : is that most including myself too saw the SRT as the competitor not the low budget V8 RT. Because when I was buying the RT wasn't a option , only the SRT , GT and SS . And it seems that GM is marketing the SS to compete with the SRT and the GT.
kingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #83
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Someone mentioned bringing back the Nova? Yeah, Chevy killed that name when they teamed up w/ Toyota in the late 80's to come out with this... No va, Spanish for No Go!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #84
gen5dewy

Drives: 2015 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
You have to understand that the V8 is not the future any longer. So that much N/A power you're going to have to pay. The new thing is S/C'd or twin turbo V6. Decent numbers at an affordable price. But no roar like a V8.
I can't buy into the V6 turbo deals. I work at a Ford dealership and most of the people who come in and look at the F-150s want the 5.0 and I agree. For me I'd much rather pay a bit more for a V8 than get a V6. Atleast in a truck or muscle car. I'd rather buy an older car and rebuild the motor. To add onto the idea of killing of the Camaro name plate, just don't. Keep with the retro styling, which made the gen 5's a hit. If they want to make a modern muscle car, come up with a new name and start a new legacy. That's how it starts. Make a affordable muscle car. Big V8 power in a stripped down car. The aftermarket is out there for people to add what they want. Just don't kill off the damn name!
gen5dewy is offline   Reply With Quote