Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
patrickt

Drives: still saving!
ZL1 exhaust on a standard LS3 SS First in the world!

Hello everyone.

To let everyone know we will soon be putting the Zl1 exhasut on our Orange Crush project car. With this there are really two main factors at play. One being the actual fitment of the exhaust. It looks like we have that figured out as all the pipe diameters and measurments appear to be the same however as everyone knows when modding you know know for sure until you physically bolt it up.

The second issue comes with the activation of the exhaust control actuators. Through extensive service manual research we have determined the actuators function identically to those used on the Corvettes with the NPP variable mufflers. This is good news. The reason this is that we will be able to use a slightly modified version of the NPP in a box kit which includes the Mild to Wild (enables you to remotely control the actuators on and off as desired).

The last thing we need to verify however it appears to all be in good order is integrating the NPP in a box to the Homelink transmitter to give a completly seamless and factory look.

As of right now we have the NPP in a box installed however since our car is supercharged we figure we may need to modify the system to add an auxillary vacuum reservoir, since we feel that when in boost it may actually drain from the systems built in reservoir. If we find we do have to do this we plan on using the factory one from the ZL1 for again a seamless install. We will not know for sure until the exhaust is bolted up but that is all coming soon.

We will keep you all updated on our progress and also will be creating a complete separate DIY thread in order to walk you all through the process.

Sound clips and pictures to come soon but I know this is exciting as it should sound amazing to have variable mufflers on a stock SS

Last edited by patrickt; 05-02-2012 at 08:18 AM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
sounds good!
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Hmm, this very thought crossed my mind earlier today....

Wonder what it will take to retrofit the dual mode exhaust of a ZL1 into a 2011 L99 and make it functional. Is it possible to set this system up to be a true variable system, rather than using the 'mild to wild' controller to just turn it on and off? I'm looking for something that would allow me to select something between mufflers and wide-open, not one or the other. Mostly looking for an option that will allow me to run LT headers but still quiet things down when I need to.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
dshep214

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ssRS Ls3
sweet
Old 05-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Old 05-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
patrickt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post

Wonder what it will take to retrofit the dual mode exhaust of a ZL1 into a 2011 L99 and make it functional. Is it possible to set this system up to be a true variable system, rather than using the 'mild to wild' controller to just turn it on and off? I'm looking for something that would allow me to select something between mufflers and wide-open, not one or the other. Mostly looking for an option that will allow me to run LT headers but still quiet things down when I need to.
This would work with a L99 but you may get that annopying weedwacker sound once the fuel management kicks in. Now if you get a tuner you can turn that off and solve that problem. From what it sounds the mild to wild would be what you want that way you have full selection over if it is quiet or loud and can change it when you want to not when the RPMs dictate

Last edited by patrickt; 05-02-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
kewl
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
This would work with a L99 but you may get that annopying weedwacker sound once the fuel management kicks in. Now if you get a tuner you can turn that off and solve that problem. From what it sounds the mild to wild would be what you want that way you have full selection over if it is quiet or loud and can change it when you want to not when the RPMs dictate
I've already got the somewhat annoying sound of AFM with my muffler delete - for this I plan on using the dual mode in full-muffler mode. Not quite ready to void my warranty just to get rid of AFM but adding LT headers will likely push me over the edge anyhow just because I'll need a tune.

Now I just need to find a local ZL1 donor for the dual mode exhaust - sure as heck don't want to pay GM's price for a full exhaust.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
patrickt

Quote:
I've already got the somewhat annoying sound of AFM with my muffler delete - for this I plan on using the dual mode in full-muffler mode. Not quite ready to void my warranty just to get rid of AFM but adding LT headers will likely push me over the edge anyhow just because I'll need a tune.

Now I just need to find a local ZL1 donor for the dual mode exhaust - sure as heck don't want to pay GM's price for a full exhaust.
I gotcha well this will definatly help you figure this out
Old 05-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
SteveRS

Drives: 2010 SIM Cobalt SS
Send a message via AIM to SteveRS
Can you shed any light on the New SS exhaust for the 2013 model I hear about??
Old 05-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #11
patrickt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRS View Post
Can you shed any light on the New SS exhaust for the 2013 model I hear about??
From what I have heard it is going to be the same as the ZL1 exhaust except different tips. I do not know the exact details yet but it will have the variable mufflers like this setup on the ZL1 and the actuators will most likely work the same, so our conversion should work on previous models using the NPP in a box as well but we will not have specifics until it comes out
Old 05-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #12
1954 Belair-man

Drives: 2010 Camaro IOM 1SS M6
Interesting!
1954 Belair-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #13
CLEAN

Drives: '19 Stingray '22 MB GLC 300
Quote:

One of the controllers allows you to vary the valves anywhere from open to close to anything in between, but I can't remember whose it was. I think it was called Exhaust Commander or something, but it had a specific ability to vary the opening, not just do open and closed like all the rest do. EDIT: Here it is http://www.sunsetorangecreations.com...nder_Elite.php It is adjustable, but it's by RPM, not valve angle, sorry.

What I ended up doing was using these http://www.nakidparts.com/adjnpp.html. The closed mode was too quiet, so I put these on so that the valves are cracked about 1/4 inch when "closed", which doesn't sound like much, but it gives it a nice little something at idle and cruise, without being obnoxious.

Last edited by CLEAN; 05-03-2012 at 10:15 AM.
CLEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Cool! That's right along with what I'd want to do. Not dead quiet when closed but not open all the time. Thanks.