Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #1
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Talking Unknown interior squeak coming from boot area

Unless the road is super even, I'm hearing a squeak coming from the console. I tried holding down any grey plastic I can but the only thing that appears to suppress it is holding the automatic shifter boot.

Anyone else experience weird interior squeaks on the console and possibly know the solution?
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
PatrickS

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
This is an older post, though I have the same squeaky issue! Haven't found what is making the sound
PatrickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
mbesman
Great White

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
I had a squeaking sound too. The culprit was the driver center air vent. The little center part rattled because it was not flush. Had just enough of a gap to rattle. I pulled the dash and than the vent out and placed a little fuzzy sticky in between the center strip. The kind you use under lamps and stuff. Now I have no rattle. Drove me up the wall. Easy fix. about 5 cents.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #4
PatrickS

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbesman View Post
I had a squeaking sound too. The culprit was the driver center air vent. The little center part rattled because it was not flush. Had just enough of a gap to rattle. I pulled the dash and than the vent out and placed a little fuzzy sticky in between the center strip. The kind you use under lamps and stuff. Now I have no rattle. Drove me up the wall. Easy fix. about 5 cents.

Thanks! That sounds very possible to what mine is then! Now that I think of it, it seems to have started not long after air conditioning season started. I'll check it out!
PatrickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
jethrobandit

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS
I have a massive one that drives me nuts. I have held down every part I can touch, tried to crawl up under the steering wheel, taken it to the dealership, and looked at everything from the hood hinges to things attached to the firewall. And nothing. I've posted about it on here before and haven't gotten any responses.

Mine seems to originate from around or to the left of the steering column. But, passengers hear it in different areas too. Someday I'm going to rip out the dash...
jethrobandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:04 PM   #6
jethrobandit

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS
I fixed my squeak finally...

Installed a cam and long tubes and now I don't hear a damn thing other than sweet engine noise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrobandit View Post
I have a massive one that drives me nuts. I have held down every part I can touch, tried to crawl up under the steering wheel, taken it to the dealership, and looked at everything from the hood hinges to things attached to the firewall. And nothing. I've posted about it on here before and haven't gotten any responses.

Mine seems to originate from around or to the left of the steering column. But, passengers hear it in different areas too. Someday I'm going to rip out the dash...
jethrobandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #7
gen5dewy

Drives: 2015 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrobandit View Post
I fixed my squeak finally...

Installed a cam and long tubes and now I don't hear a damn thing other than sweet engine noise...
sounds like the perfect fix to me
gen5dewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #8
camarodragonL99

Drives: 1967 Camaro, 2010 Camaro
I know the sound. I have a 2010 automatic. Mine comes from the shift slider. The black plastic part that traverses with the shiftier. Its like plastic on plastic crackling. If i hold down the plastic right under the shift rod it goes away. I was thinking some lube may help it but in order to access I may have to remove the console. I don't know how hard that would be.

ya it drive me nuts. All the little lines in the road. You hear them all.
camarodragonL99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:32 PM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
My crap noise:sun glasses moving in the door, and tons of stuff in the console and where ever rattle is usually them. But hey its not very noticeable.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #10
mbesman
Great White

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Rattle Noise GONE in sixty seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarodragonL99 View Post
I know the sound. I have a 2010 automatic. Mine comes from the shift slider. The black plastic part that traverses with the shiftier. Its like plastic on plastic crackling. If i hold down the plastic right under the shift rod it goes away. I was thinking some lube may help it but in order to access I may have to remove the console. I don't know how hard that would be.

ya it drive me nuts. All the little lines in the road. You hear them all.
I found the solution to the Automatic Shift rattle noise. Drove me nutz as well. Spray this dry lube on, wait a few minutes and wipe away residue. Will not stain plastic. Couldn't believe it worked. Highly recommend.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #11
TastyBake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbesman View Post
I found the solution to the Automatic Shift rattle noise. Drove me nutz as well. Spray this dry lube on, wait a few minutes and wipe away residue. Will not stain plastic. Couldn't believe it worked. Highly recommend.
Thank you SO much for this!

I'm going to buy dry lube now (as in now-now) and see if it works.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #12
TastyBake

Ok. I bought it. It does leave a white residue when it dries in less than 1 min, as mentioned. Pretty easy to wipe off but you have to squeeze into the hard to reach places.

I'll drive it around and see if it still has the squeaks.