Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-20-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
Tritanium

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Can Anyone identify these longtubes?

I found them on craigslist for a good price, and was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about them? The post just says they are for a 2010 Camaro, so I'm hoping to get them for my 2014 SS. Any help would be great.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1524269335
Attached Images

Tritanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:25 PM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
The original manufacture of that style was Borla (XR-1). https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...ders-17249.htm - But now there are several chinese knock-offs of that exact same style.

What's the price? Because I know that there are several chinese knock-offs of that exact style.

I passed on them because it looks as though the collector area hangs very low compared to other designs. But without comparing directly against another set, I cannot be certain. Other problem is you cannot use cats on them. They designed them so that the 'off-road' pipes are integrated right into the pipes. Another possible issue, depending on your power goals, is they are 1 3/4".
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), FlowMaster Outlaw axle back/X-Pipe, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #3
Tritanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
The original manufacture of that style was Borla (XR-1). https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...ders-17249.htm - But now there are several chinese knock-offs of that exact same style.

What's the price? Because I know that there are several chinese knock-offs of that exact style.

I passed on them because it looks as though the collector area hangs very low compared to other designs. But without comparing directly against another set, I cannot be certain. Other problem is you cannot use cats on them. They designed them so that the 'off-road' pipes are integrated right into the pipes. Another possible issue, depending on your power goals, is they are 1 3/4".
Thank you so much, that was really quick. They are under $300 and off a wrecked SS. Honestly I don't really have any crazy power goals. I want a fairly tame sounding(but louder then stock) exhaust, so I was planning on some used NPP and then just painting the factory exhaust manifolds with some high heat black paint so they'd look pretty. I saw the good deal on this though, and am planning a 100-150 shot NOS setup in the near future. So I figured I could grab these instead. I'm not really to fond of the whole no cats thing though. All in all what do you think?

Thanks again for your help!
Old 04-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #4
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
They look more like the cheap knock off ones, but as InFiD3ViL said they could be the Borla ones. If you're looking for inexpensive long tubes that don't require cats then go for Speed Engineering. They're under $400 with O2 extensions, new clamps, and new gaskets. Also, the Speed Engineering ones are 1 7/8" primaries which IMO I wouldn't go any smaller than.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
...the Speed Engineering ones are 1 7/8" primaries which IMO I wouldn't go any smaller than.
Agreed.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), FlowMaster Outlaw axle back/X-Pipe, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
Old 04-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #6
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
X2 for speed engineering headers!!!
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #7
Tritanium

Wow those speed engineering headers seem really awesome for what I want. Its been a while since I've shopped for performance parts. Last I knew you were looking at close to 1k for any kind of long tubes. Is there anything I should know about those speed engineering headers? Also ideally I would actually like to keep the cats.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:45 PM   #8
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
They do look like Speed Engineering headers nice find.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:10 PM   #9
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritanium View Post
Wow those speed engineering headers seem really awesome for what I want. Its been a while since I've shopped for performance parts. Last I knew you were looking at close to 1k for any kind of long tubes. Is there anything I should know about those speed engineering headers? Also ideally I would actually like to keep the cats.

If you need or want cats, there are also Texas Speed and Performance long tubes.

Their headers are around $500, without cats, but with everything else needed included. The cats are around $300 I believe. From what I understand, the Texas Speed cats will also fit the Speed Engineering headers. So you can go either way.

Some people want to have top end headers regardless of cost. I don't fault them for that, it's their money not mine. But I personally cannot justify spending $1000+ on something when there is a much cheaper alternative. It just so happens that the cheaper alternatives are also of very high build quality. The expensive headers will typically have a lifetime warranty though, so there is that. There is may be some performance benefits to stepped or Tri-Y headers.

You have plenty of choices available for headers for this car. Prices ranging from $350-1500. I suggest you do a little research into the headers types available. ie. Tri-Y, Stepped, regular long tubes, shorties. 1 3/4", 1 7/8" (most common), and 2". It all depends on your goals and budget.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:25 AM   #10
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
My question to you would be....why would you even contemplate buying from someone who doesn't know what they are selling?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #11
pyroguy

Quote:
If you're looking to keep cats then I'd recommend going with Texas Speed, OBX, or Stainless Power. You'll end up spending near the same amount of money piecing together a setup with Speed Engineering to get cats, clamps that are worth a darn, O2 extenders, etc. as you would if you just went the next step up in price point. Texas Speed are basically ARH knock offs, OBX are Kooks knock offs, and Stainless Power are Stainless Works knock offs. As InFiD3ViL said, you'll get the lifetime warranty with companies like ARH, Kooks, and Stainless Works, but TS, OBX, SP will still warranty for a couple years. The primary difference is that the headers are made in China vs. America. You'll end up spending around $800 last that I checked for headers with cats, but if you need/want cats it's really not a bad route.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #12
Tritanium

Thanks so much, everyone! I'm so torn between all of my options lol. I'm not sure what I want to do. I really just want a fun, badass street car.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #13
pyroguy

Quote:
Thanks so much, everyone! I'm so torn between all of my options lol. I'm not sure what I want to do. I really just want a fun, badass street car.
We're all happy to help! Just remember we all have our own opinions on what is best and what will be the best combo.

Here's a few questions to ask yourself about your build:
- How long do you typically keep cars?
- How long do you plan on keeping your Camaro? (Is this time longer than your typical vehicle ownership?)
- How much power do you plan on going with?
- Knowing yourself, would you go beyond your power plans eventually?
- What supporting mods will get you to your power goal?
- Will choice "X" allow you to achieve your end power goals or will you have to buy the same part again to achieve your power goal?

Basically what I'm getting at is, if you're a lifetime owner of the car, wanting BIG power, and probably will go beyond that power goal eventually, you should probably buy something like ARH, SW, or Kooks. If you don't plan on keeping the car past 10 years, then something like Texas Speed, OBX, and SP are more than adequate. If you are planning on going BIG power (>600rwhp) or will eventually get there then you should probably get 2" primaries, otherwise 1 7/8" primaries will definitely get the job done. If you plan on auto cross where you need low end power and high end power you may want to pick stepped headers (1 3/4" into 1 7/8" primaries) or tri Y headers (research Z/28 headers, they're a cross between tri Y and shorty manifolds). Pretty much all brands will yield near the same amount of power +/- 5rwhp due to the fact that they all have a very similar design and function nearly identically. Some early editions of 5th gen Camaro headers were made without a merge spike which you want because it helps encourage exhaust flow away from the engine. This tip is if you buy used from someone.

Good luck with your choice and happy modding!!
Old 04-21-2018, 04:38 PM   #14
Rich2010

Drives: 2010 Cyber Gray LS3 SS/RS
If you don’t want to run cats try the speed engineering headers on your stock exhaust. Losing the cats will increase noise and won’t drone bad with the stock mufflers.