Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-02-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
bob2the2nd

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
painting chevy emblem... how?

a lot of people have painted their chevy emblems and I would really like to but I have no clue where to start. I was thinking about just running down to the hobby store and picking up a small amount of model paint and using that, but Im not totally sure that would work. has anyone painted theirs and wish to share how they did it?

1100: 11-29-08
6000: 6-29-09
cracked windshield: 7-1-09
1000 miles 7-4-09
windshield replaced: 7-9-09
2000 miles 7-10-09 (yep 2000 miles in 11 days)
3000 miles 7-16-09
4000 miles 7-30-09
bob2the2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Red Hot SS

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS/RS M6
Paint = NO
Vinyl = YES

You wont be disappointed

VIN: 2G1FT1EW8A9118043
Finally Home! (6/16)
Red Hot SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
PonyMan

Drives: 2009 C6 4lt Vert, 2011 Camaro Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2the2nd View Post
a lot of people have painted their chevy emblems and I would really like to but I have no clue where to start. I was thinking about just running down to the hobby store and picking up a small amount of model paint and using that, but Im not totally sure that would work. has anyone painted theirs and wish to share how they did it?
Trust me I am no paint guy!!! You can go to Paintscratch.com and get a kit, or just the paint. I ordered IOM paint and clear coat in 24oz spray cans from them (about a week and half to receive), and I already had auto primer.

The front bowtie removes very easy (search forum), the rear bowtie I painted on the car. Make sure you use good painter’s masking tape, not that thin cheap stuff at your local hardware store.

You can ruff up the gold/clear part of the bowtie with a fine sand paper (400g, 600g). I mask the bowtie off first, and then cut away the area you want to paint, and then I sand it lightly. Sanding it unmasked, you may scratch the plastic chrome around the bowtie. When cutting away the part of the tape on the bowtie you want to paint, use a new razor blade, and follow the chrome edge/slot.

After you have covered everything up that you don't want painted, double check yourself, primer, paint, and clear coat has a habit of finding places you have forgotten. Make sure after you have ruffed up/sanded, you clean the area of any matter, and grease. Apply your primer, if you have a fan it helps the drying process, I applied three coats (easy on the first two coats). Next is the basecoat color, same process as the primer - making sure you let the paint dry in between each coat, don't rush it. When you start to apply the clear coat, you feel like a pro by now, but don't let you guard down now. One little slip, tip, or flick can damage all your hard work.

After the last coat of clear coat has gotten past the tacky stage, remove the masking tape - VERY SLOW & EASY!!! I put the fan on the area over night, and let the paint cure/harden. After the paint has hardened, you can take a rubbing compound, and put a shine on the clear coat (or don't, for a semi/flat look). Some people will also wet sand in between each coat of primer, base color and even clear coat (it is up to you).The process above works for me, I hope you can use all or some of the above steps in your bowtie painting process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hot SS View Post
Paint = NO
Vinyl = YES

You wont be disappointed
I agree with you on the vinyl, it is easy to apply. But for me, I wanted to match my IOM stripes, and no supplier is doing that right now, so painting them was my only avenue. For what you pay for good vinyl decals, I paid about the same in paint and supplies to paint them. In the future if I need to change out, I will order and replace. Paint or Vinyl, you can't go wrong, the mod looks great!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Red Hot SS

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS/RS M6
True, in your case I would say painting is the best way to go.

BTW: A local stripes/decal guy did mine as well as my side gills for $25.

What a bargain

VIN: 2G1FT1EW8A9118043
Finally Home! (6/16)
Red Hot SS is offline   Reply With Quote