Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #15
Ghosttowncs

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Ive always heard that letting them run for short periods isn't necessarily a good thing, unless it comes up to operating temperature? I guess the concern being any sort of condensation will just build up in the crankcase in that case. That being said, the car is still fair game to drive, as long as I can get in and out of the driveway! Same thing with my bike. I am convinced letting them sit is the worst thing for them.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #16
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Mine sits off and on thru winter. I might put 200 miles on it other than our yearly January trip to Vegas for laps for charity(that’s about 1000 miles) I try to bust it out of prison at least once or twice a month when the weather isn’t too cold. We don’t get much snow here so not much salt to worry about... I’m shooting for some mods this winter my self. I think I’m gonna put headers on it for a start, it’s getting closer to being paid off so I’m getting more comfortable with modding it performance wise.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #17
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosttowncs View Post
Ive always heard that letting them run for short periods isn't necessarily a good thing, unless it comes up to operating temperature? I guess the concern being any sort of condensation will just build up in the crankcase in that case. That being said, the car is still fair game to drive, as long as I can get in and out of the driveway! Same thing with my bike. I am convinced letting them sit is the worst thing for them.
The oil temp is the important one. You need the oil temp to get above 212 so you can boil the condensate/combustion acids out of the oil. If you don’t get the oil temp up it will continue to build the condensate mixture up.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:30 AM   #18
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
yeah i used to not start it..i just worry about starting in spring to find a snapped valve spring
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:30 AM   #19
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
I put mine away last week ahead of a big snowstorm. Washed, tires inflated, stabil in tank, trickle charger and covered. Weather will be really nice next week and on and off throughout the winter, but I just leave it alone. Let’s hope next year is a lot better.
Attached Images

Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late

Last edited by AG454; 10-30-2020 at 01:52 PM.
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:08 PM   #20
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Just changed oil/filter for the winter. It’s been partially put away for a few weeks due to low temperature, anything less than 50* is like driving on ice with the G/Y 3R. Fresh AMSOil after 178 miles from last oil change in January. I figure with covid this year I wouldn’t risk it and change 2 months early. Wouldn’t want the old oil catching anything odd. Ha!
No metal flakes in oil filter paper, back covered and ready for a long dark cold winter, as some might have us think.
I’m all for getting rid of 2020 and fast track to 2022
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:15 PM   #21
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Never done. About the ONLY good thing about Calezuela.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #22
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Every evening I put my SS away.

Every morning I take her out and beat the guts out of her.

Except for the days it snows which doesn't happen too often.

Some things are nice about the sweet sunny south!
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:58 PM   #23
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
The oil temp is the important one. You need the oil temp to get above 212 so you can boil the condensate/combustion acids out of the oil. If you don’t get the oil temp up it will continue to build the condensate mixture up.
This,

Running it for a few minutes actually introduces enough heat to promote condensation.....either get it all the way up to temperature, or leave it alone is my method.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:21 PM   #24
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
I think one more week then I'll put it away.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:29 PM   #25
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I think people really overthink this issue. A lot of the old school problems like flat spotted tires and bad fuel are apparently overstated. Winter is really only four months long and other than good wash and wax, changing the oil and a trickle charger, you really shouldn’t have to do much. I will drive mine until the first time they salt the streets and I won’t bring it back out until all the salt dust and residue is gone.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:01 PM   #26
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
I change the oil, fill up the tank and give it a good was. Once in the garage, I pull the battery and put the cover on. I have a bunch of batteries in my basement so I put the charger on each one once a week.

joe...
Old 10-30-2020, 04:16 PM   #27
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
I hope to get a few more weeks out of her, then get on the Flatstoppers for the first time. I also believe in starting the car once or twice a week in the winter, although I find myself worrying about start up damage and condensation. Catch 22 I guess. Last year , I had the Camaro out until December. I have a really bad feeling about this winter though.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:00 PM   #28
punk5150

Drives: 2014 SS/RS CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesster View Post
All tucked in. Winter sucks, esp in Michigan.
Still got a half tank of premium, wish there was a way to drain it out - I tried, but can't get even a small diameter tube to fish into the tank.
Everyone use Sta-Bill, or fill it up, or what. I don't like the idea of a full tank of 5-6 month old gas.
Dam. I see a beautiful 78 Trans am. Looks like it’s in immaculate condition too. Such a sexy car. Ditch the Camaro and just keep the T/A. No need to hate on me for loving that Trans Am.

Parking mine next week. Like I have done every year for the past 6 years. Disconnect the battery. Put in some fuel stabilizer. 40 pounds of air in the tires. Cardboard under the tires and see you the first week of April.
Hopefully 2021 will be a better year. It was a disaster here in Jersey. All the car shows from May through mid summer were cancelled.
punk5150 is offline   Reply With Quote