Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-24-2021, 10:59 AM   #1
p.s.

Drives: 2014 v6 manual
Rear shocks won't fit 😑

I'm trying to reinstall my factory shocks but the control arm won't adjust far out enough to allow the struts to fit into them. I've adjusted the lower control arm bolts to allow them out as far as possible but it's still off and I can't get anything to fit. Seems like I'm trying way too hard to force stuff to fit. I
https://ibb.co/JytdD5P
p.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:53 AM   #2
Crazych66

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.s. View Post
I'm trying to reinstall my factory shocks but the control arm won't adjust far out enough to allow the struts to fit into them. I've adjusted the lower control arm bolts to allow them out as far as possible but it's still off and I can't get anything to fit. Seems like I'm trying way too hard to force stuff to fit. I
https://ibb.co/JytdD5P
Had the same challenge when installing new shocks on mine just recently, at least on one side. Do not fully tighten the upper mounts which gives you some play to secure the lower mount. Make sure the bolt that attaches the LCA to the frame is still loose.

As for getting the last bolt into the hub/LCA, you have to wiggle the rear hub assembly and LCA to get it to line up. I ended up using a spare floor jack to lift up the LCA so I could move the hub to get the hole to line up.

Hope that helps.
2012 Camaro SS Convertible: 2SS, LS3, M6, Triple Black. Mods: Solo Axleback, 1LE FE6 rear swaybar, CAGS delete, Vararam CAI, Heritage grill, Hotchkis springs, '15 FE4 struts/shocks, ZL1 side rockers, Velgen Classic5 wheels, Pedders radius rod bushings, ARH LTHs, gutted HFCs,...
Crazych66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 01:02 PM   #3
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
They are VERY hard to line up on your own. IF you tightened the top plate to the
chassis, it's even harder. Someone has to pull and hold the LCA down, as you push and
line up the shock bottom and get that bolt through. Doing it by yourself, without
the proper tools, is almost impossible. So, don't fret, you're not the only one that has
had difficulty with it on their own.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:35 AM   #4
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRubin View Post
They are VERY hard to line up on your own. IF you tightened the top plate to the
chassis, it's even harder. Someone has to pull and hold the LCA down, as you push and
line up the shock bottom and get that bolt through. Doing it by yourself, without
the proper tools, is almost impossible. So, don't fret, you're not the only one that has
had difficulty with it on their own.
All of this. Had a friend help with mine yesterday. There's a lot of wedging needed to get everything to line up. I needed a 2 lb mini sledge to get the 120 degrees of torque on the bolts.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:58 PM   #5
bayarea408

Drives: T
i can usually get it to line up enough to wiggle in a screw driver once i get that in i can usually nudge it around, but im not a small guy and its a hard move for sure.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote