Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #15
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Paul View Post
If I remember correctly, the gentleman in the Camaro said the Porshe could not catch him. I'm pretty certain he was running Pfadt suspension mods.
Yeah, he's doesn't look too worried in that photo. The guy in the passenger side of the Porche...not looking so happy.Okay, maybe he's just blurry because of the photo, but sometimes it's okay to speculate.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #16
EastBayBossMan

Drives: 2010 Cyber Gray Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Camaro comes with a very soft suspension on a very solid platform, so a lot can be gained with just minor suspension mods.

With enough money you can make anything fast but IMO the Camaro will beat a stock M3 on a road course with a few thousand. Wonder how them M3s respond to mods...
EastBayBossMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #17
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayBossMan View Post
Camaro comes with a very soft suspension on a very solid platform, so a lot can be gained with just minor suspension mods.

With enough money you can make anything fast but IMO the Camaro will beat a stock M3 on a road course with a few thousand. Wonder how them M3s respond to mods...
The M3's don't need much there already designed for tight roads and cornering from the factory
Old 11-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #18
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayBossMan View Post
BINGO! Very well put.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #19
EastBayBossMan

Drives: 2010 Cyber Gray Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andro View Post
The M3's don't need much there already designed for tight roads and cornering from the factory
So the M3s are almost maxed out from the factory?

I'm interested to know what car- Camaro, Mustang or the M3, is a more capable handler with roughly the same amount in suspension mods. Let's say 3 levels- $1K, $5K, and $10K.

I'm hoping that stock for stock that the Camaro handles the worst not only because of it's heavy weight, but because of it's relatively soft suspension.
EastBayBossMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:15 AM   #20
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
the M3 is one hell of a car from the factory but remember it has sequential clutch transmission with true paddle shifters. 15 different transmission settings. multiple performance modes. Launch control traction control Think Z06 meets CTSV

and it's hard to get one for less than 70grand.

and the mustang and the M3 have "performance" suspension options from the factory where the camaro does not.

So, if you assume that the M3 and mustang have the upgraded suspensions then the camaro would get more for the money with a suspension upgrade.

once you start spending over 5k in suspension mods everything becomes pretty equal.

so my opinion if you spend 3k on all cars... the camaro catches the other two but could still lag behind a bit.

Now this conversation is kinda out there cus there are so many other factors that go in to a "road race" car... brakes, HP, weight, suspension, balance, tires... on and on...

So trying to say that we are confine this to suspension mods is kinda hard to do...

But in my opinion the Camaro will benefit more from suspension and tire mods than the other two.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #21
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
i cant say what other stuff will work but i can share my experience with you and tell you at least some data. 1st off, i wanted to keep my car streetable. i have a hot rod that noone else can drive. i wanted a street car that i could take to a track day and have fun and hold my own against similar street cars. my mods were thought out and picked to be a low budget stage one kit that will help the car handle without giving up my street car.
JohnsonRod's hoemade stage one kit:
1) PFADT stage one kit that comes with springs and a rear sway bar. we also tuned the new suspension with a PFADT setup.
2) KnN filter for the stock box.
3) SLP axle back straights
4) BMR tunnel brace and sub frame connectors
5) skip shift eliminator (already have the factory short throw hurst)
6) Elite catch can
7) super blue brake fluid

with this kit i can enjoy my car on the street or track without harming it. you wont believe differance in how this car will handle.
everyones has their own needs. i just wanted to tell you a setup that does work for my needs.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:43 AM   #22
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
How about a six months of Jenny Craig? (for some of us)
Ha Ha Ha!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #23
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
another point that we all could remember . . .
seat time is the BEST mod for road course success. i bet the best drivers could take a V6 car and make a novice look bad. so if there is that much to be gained with seat time and knowledge, then seat time is the best mod because you can take that from car to car with you.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #24
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Adding a roll cage, 9" rear with Quaife differential, Cobra Race seats, better steering wheel, power steering upgrades and a few other goodies during the winter - all these upgrades are intended for the road course in addition to what I already have done.

Game on!
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote