Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Noticed 2 spots where paint is cracking today....

When I got done washing today, I noticed 2 spots where the paint is cracking (located on the hood), almost in a perfect shape of a quarter. I also have a few spots on top of my fenders where there are small dings (after I tested out the top speed, in a controlled enviroment, of course)...

My questions are-
1) Will the dealer cover repainting the hood, when the car is only a year old?
2) Do you think the dings could be from the downforce of the top speed and if so, would the dealer warranty cover that too? Any Chevrolet dealers on this forum, please chime in!
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
You might want to check with the advisor at your dealership about this. This might be under warranty from GM.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Cornflakes'Camaro

Do you know if it would have to be at the same dealership I bought the car from? I recently moved away from the area where I orginally bought the car. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Envious
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Twin Turbo Synergy RS Coupe
Warranty is for manufacture defects. Are these a defect, or should you get your insurance company involved?
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
Do you know if it would have to be at the same dealership I bought the car from? I recently moved away from the area where I orginally bought the car. Thanks!
Nope, you can get warranty work done at any Chevy Dealership.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Cornflakes'Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious View Post
Warranty is for manufacture defects. Are these a defect, or should you get your insurance company involved?
These are certainly defects. unless someone snuck out to my car and struck a match to the hood. I checked underneath to see if anything had heated up from the engine bay, with no results. Recently its been around 100 up here in DC, let alone how much heat the black paint is putting out. it seems feasible to me, but i'm not a paint expert.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
Cornflakes'Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious View Post
thanks on this btw. I also would post pictures, but I honestly don't think that they would show up in it.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
Cornflakes'Camaro

I went and talked to 2 different dealerships the other day. One told me that the warranty wouldn't cover the cracking, because it's bird **** that i left on the paint too long. Now i've never gone more than a week, maybe a week and a half without washing my car. and unless birds started eating sulfuric acid, i don't see how bird **** would eat through clear coat that quick....any suggestions?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #9
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
I went and talked to 2 different dealerships the other day. One told me that the warranty wouldn't cover the cracking, because it's bird **** that i left on the paint too long. Now i've never gone more than a week, maybe a week and a half without washing my car. and unless birds started eating sulfuric acid, i don't see how bird **** would eat through clear coat that quick....any suggestions?

Bird bombs can eat through clear much faster than that. It's nasty shit, pardon the pun.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #10
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Bird bombs can eat through clear much faster than that. It's nasty shit, pardon the pun.
+1 you gotta get that bird "stuff" off within a few hours if possible otherwise it'll leave a dull outline/discolored area... Got any pics of these cracks/spots?

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #11
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
I would talk to a paint shop and ask them for their opinion and then call you insurance company. BTW call GM customer hot line to file a complain because I don't know if it's cause by bird droppings but it's could be possible, I seen this happen but it has to be on there all summer long for something like this to happen. Any pictures would help if you can get them posted.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
My first thought, when reading your original post, was bird bombs. Some bird bombs can damage paint in a matter of hours, although most take several days before any damage is noticeable. If it had been a week or more (with particularly acidic bird bombs) then chemical damage is likely. It will look like dull patches, which under close examination, have tiny cracks everywhere.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote