Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
1badtie

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
kicker vs. powerbase? help

ok so i have two 10 inch kicker comp VRs in a sealed pro box currently in the trunk being pushed by a 250 watt 2channel RF punch amp... so i went to the local audio store today and this guy tried to talk me into buying two powerbase 10s with a ported box all for $175 my question is.. is powerbase a good brand the subs looked pretty good with alot of flex room but are they better than my kickers?, ive never heard of that brand before buy they looked alot better and with a ported box?

2010 2SS RS --- SOLD
MODS-
Performance: BMR trailing arms & bushings | BMR Toe links | X-pipe | Muffler delete | Vmax ported throttle body | Apex "strong" MAS | Vararam CAI | Apex catch can | Kooks Headers | Kooks HF Cats | Dyno tuned by GPI 417 RWHP 409 FT-Lb
Cosmetic: painted Zl1 rockers | Zl1 grill | AAC side markers | AAC LED backup lights | windows tint | taillight tint | JDP tow hook | all emblems blacked out | LED fogs
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
1badtie

heres a pic of the powerbase 10in....looks like a new brand i just read on their website that they just got started in 2010.
Attached Images

2010 2SS RS --- SOLD
MODS-
Performance: BMR trailing arms & bushings | BMR Toe links | X-pipe | Muffler delete | Vmax ported throttle body | Apex "strong" MAS | Vararam CAI | Apex catch can | Kooks Headers | Kooks HF Cats | Dyno tuned by GPI 417 RWHP 409 FT-Lb
Cosmetic: painted Zl1 rockers | Zl1 grill | AAC side markers | AAC LED backup lights | windows tint | taillight tint | JDP tow hook | all emblems blacked out | LED fogs
Old 12-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Bigmike33

Drives: 2011 chevy camaro LS
I've never heard of them and I have two cvr 12in in my car. I've always liked kickers they hit hard and sound great if you ask me stay with the kickers.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
atlang3lo

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro LS All Black
kickers bro
atlang3lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
its important to know/remember that you cant do a side by side comparison of ported vs sealed... the ported box with the exact same sub will be louder at and around its given tuning point.

The Powerbass subs are decent... I have seen/heard a couple of installs with them and they seem like a decent sub.

If you already have the kickers, keep them. you might consider going to a ported enclosure if you need/want more volume out of them, but the Powerbass subs are not 175.00 better than the Kickers in a sealed enclosure.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
SparksAI

Drives: 2004 GTO
I carry both and I really enjoy the Powerbass subs. If you go to their site http://www.powerbassusa.com/ and rotate through the main iteems you will see a tiburan that was their 2010 CES car. It is owned by a guy here in Austin named Wyatt. He also has a GTO and I have heard his Tib. It sounds amazing. I include the Powerbass subs in some of my speaker packages.

2 subs in a ported enclosure in a Camaro trunk is a bit of a squeeze though. When you port a subwoofer it takes almost twice the airspace than a sealed sub to do it right. If you are looking to hit harder just upgrading your amp might get you where you want to be. A 250w RMS amp is pretty underpowered for two Comp VR's.
Shoot me a PM of what your goals are and we can see about working out something for you.
SparksAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
kcamarom
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 CGM RS
I am new to the audio field and need some help. I want to get two 10' kicker subs. I like these http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20610C1...=detailed_info. What I woould like to know is what would be a good amp to run these on at a reasonable price. Thanks for all the info.
kcamarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:45 AM   #8
SparksAI

Drives: 2004 GTO
The Kicker 10" speakers are good but I wouldn't recommend the 8 Ohm version unless you are putting 4-8 of them in your car. A lower resistance speaker will let you utilize more of an amp as long as it is stable at the resistance chosen. They offer them in a 4 Ohm version.
http://www.sparksai.com/product-p/10c104.htm

For a pair of the 4Ohm 10" Comps, I would either pair them with the Kicker ZX300.1 Amp or the MTX Audio JH300 Amp. Both of them produce 300w at 2 Ohms RMS into a single channel. I know you said you are new to this so here is a quick run down of how everything would be connected together.

The two 4 Ohm speakers would be wired in Parallel to a single output on the amp
See Figure 1
http://caraudio.biggz.com/parallelseries.html

This would present a 2 Ohm resistance load to the amp. Both of the amps listed will run at 300w into a single channel at 2 Ohms which divided between the two speakers would give each 150W which is their max. I'll shoot you a PM as well.
SparksAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:49 AM   #9
dcamarom
SoCal Family Member

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparksAI View Post
The Kicker 10" speakers are good but I wouldn't recommend the 8 Ohm version unless you are putting 4-8 of them in your car. A lower resistance speaker will let you utilize more of an amp as long as it is stable at the resistance chosen. They offer them in a 4 Ohm version.
http://www.sparksai.com/product-p/10c104.htm

For a pair of the 4Ohm 10" Comps, I would either pair them with the Kicker ZX300.1 Amp or the MTX Audio JH300 Amp. Both of them produce 300w at 2 Ohms RMS into a single channel. I know you said you are new to this so here is a quick run down of how everything would be connected together.

The two 4 Ohm speakers would be wired in Parallel to a single output on the amp
See Figure 1
http://caraudio.biggz.com/parallelseries.html

This would present a 2 Ohm resistance load to the amp. Both of the amps listed will run at 300w into a single channel at 2 Ohms which divided between the two speakers would give each 150W which i their max. I'll shoot you a PM as well.
Alright thanks, this information helps greatly.
dcamarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
1badtie

hmm its a hard decision i could already have sold me kickers and that would pay for the powerbases...

2010 2SS RS --- SOLD
MODS-