Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Kevlo79

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro SS LS3
Question Express Seat and Sun Roof Controls

This is a question for those with the power seats and/or the sunroof.

First:

I find it a total pain in the butt the way you have to sit there forever holding the button to move the power seat forward in order get someone in/out of the back seat. Has anyone found/installed a mod to add an "Express" forward button? This, or some kind of disconnect from the power linkage that would allow the seat to be manually slid forward and then back to the power linkage for power adjustment?

Second:

The sunroof has the Express open, just by pushing through the first click to the second, and the close button has the second click but it doesn't do anything. Is there a mod or setting that I can enable to get the express close function?

These are nit picky but they would be very nice to have! I appreciate any point in the right direction.

Veni, Vidi, Vici

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
Driving a 10 sec. honda is like coming out of the closet. Sure at first you'll surprise a few people but everyone could see you were gay all along.
Kevlo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Ocikat

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th convertible
These are both safety issues I imagine, the 2011 I had was the same with the sunroof; no express close, I can see someone adjusting their seat driving down the highway and it "expressing" back so they couldn't reach the peddels then suing because it was GM's fault for not protecting us from our own stupidity.

Ocikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Mightygrasshopper

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary edition 'vert
it's not a safety issues as many other cars have express close on sun roof..and we even have it on our windows. it's a shame, as i would love that feature too.

as for the seats..on the passenger side..there's a latch near the head rest that you can pull and it brings the seat forward in a snap. i use that instead of the recline button.

www.mightygrasshopper.com
Into health, wellness and fitness? Check out my site for natural health product reviews, health articles and industry news.

Want to get into summer time shape? I'm a former fatty who's lost the weight - "Train With Me" for FREE - sexy abs in 16 weeks! Just follow along!
Mightygrasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
cmb74656

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/BLI A6
The sunroof doesn't have express close in case someone has their hand/arm/head/torso out of the roof when the button is pressed. As for the seat issue, make the rear seat passengers get out on the passenger side.

MODS: RX Performance catch can, Jegs CAI, ZL1 grille, chrome license plate frame, GM locking gas cap, Defender Worx chrome DRL bezels, GM molded splash guards, Oracle LED side markers, DRLs, tag lights and reverse lamps, Technostalgia Rapid Fire tail lamps, Vitesse shift paddle extenders, MBRP cat back.
FUTURE: long tube headers, front splitter, slotted/drilled rotors, leather console and e-brake handle boot, remote fuel door and rear seat release, sway bars and bushings.
WISH LIST: Edelbrock E-Force SC, LS3 conversion
cmb74656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
The Blue Angel

Drives: 2014 BRM 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocikat View Post
These are both safety issues I imagine, the 2011 I had was the same with the sunroof; no express close, I can see someone adjusting their seat driving down the highway and it "expressing" back so they couldn't reach the peddels then suing because it was GM's fault for not protecting us from our own stupidity.
Been there, done that!!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Ocikat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygrasshopper View Post
it's not a safety issues as many other cars have express close on sun roof..and we even have it on our windows. it's a shame, as i would love that feature too.

as for the seats..on the passenger side..there's a latch near the head rest that you can pull and it brings the seat forward in a snap. i use that instead of the recline button.
I hear ya !, I think the difference is, they probably have a sensor to stop or reverse if there is an obstruction, the door windows on our camaros do but I don;t bevieve there is on the sunroof, for the seat; I know it tilts the backrest forwad but I think the issue for the original poster was getting a rear seat passenger in and out

Old 01-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Kevlo79

Ocikat has it on the money. Basically what I'm looking for is to have the same feature in the "seat" as in the back. The handle disengages the back portiion of the seat from the power mechanism and it is rengaged when the seat back is lowered. Why can't that same concept be used with the seat portion? I have power on both driver and passenger seats so there's no difference there.

Also, don't think there is any safety concern here, on seats that don't have power mechanisms, when a rear seat passenger disengages the seat it is in "free fall" until rengaged, same here. Either a power express function or the ability to disengage as with the seat back. It seems that this function could be part of the current handle on the back of the seat, when it disengages the back and the back is pushed forward the seat would also disengage. Just as in manual seats!! I'm still searching for a mod here, if anyone has ANY info on this I certainly appreciate the guidance!!

Veni, Vidi, Vici

Quote:
Driving a 10 sec. honda is like coming out of the closet. Sure at first you'll surprise a few people but everyone could see you were gay all along.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
Ocikat

My 2011 didn't have the 6 way power seats so it did have a manual release in front of the passenger seat for forward back movement, see if you can find someone local with a 2011 RS and take a look and see if that mechanizm could be adapted to your 6 way seats in the 2012. I can't recall for sure if the passenger seat had power forward and reverse, I do remember it had power recline. perhaps someone could chime in on this ?

I bet you could find someone on these forums who would trade seats with you, If you have followed these forums for a while it had been a big issue with some people that the passenger seat wasn't hieght adjustable and passengers could'nt see over the dash, ypu would need to swap seat covers allso since you have a 45th

Old 01-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Looking forward to hearing about this malfunctioning and pinning the driver against the steering wheel. Could be the reason it's NOT done though, never know.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #10
Grimlock
dey see me rollin

Drives: the magic school bus
OP, I don't think you're in anyway being nitpicky. The Camaro is the only car I've been in that has a sunroof without an auto close option. It's funny because of the whole "hands-free" direction we're going with the steering controls yet we have to press and hold the close button for the sunroof. The seat is something I found uncomfortable. If it's power seats, it should have the memory function.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
Kevlo79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocikat View Post
My 2011 didn't have the 6 way power seats so it did have a manual release in front of the passenger seat for forward back movement, see if you can find someone local with a 2011 RS and take a look and see if that mechanizm could be adapted to your 6 way seats in the 2012. I can't recall for sure if the passenger seat had power forward and reverse, I do remember it had power recline. perhaps someone could chime in on this ?

I bet you could find someone on these forums who would trade seats with you, If you have followed these forums for a while it had been a big issue with some people that the passenger seat wasn't hieght adjustable and passengers could'nt see over the dash, ypu would need to swap seat covers allso since you have a 45th
Good idea Ocikat, I don't know any other Camaro owners near me but I'll try to find someone and have a look. I mean, if we can disengage/re-engage the the power recline why not for the forward/back function as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL1CK View Post
Looking forward to hearing about this malfunctioning and pinning the driver against the steering wheel. Could be the reason it's NOT done though, never know.
It seems like a long shot for this to be a safety concern. What about memory seats? Could do the same thing... Never know though I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
OP, I don't think you're in anyway being nitpicky. The Camaro is the only car I've been in that has a sunroof without an auto close option. It's funny because of the whole "hands-free" direction we're going with the steering controls yet we have to press and hold the close button for the sunroof. The seat is something I found uncomfortable. If it's power seats, it should have the memory function.
Grimlock, the memory seat idea would be the perfect power solution. It could be simple, just two positions "Rear Seat Access" (all the way forward and tilted), and "Previous" (take back to position it was in prior to hitting the "Rear Seat Access" button. This would work, but really, I think it might get a little rough on the motors driving the seat after awhile. The handle on the back mechanically disengages the incline/recline assembly and when the seat is dropped back in place it re-engages at the same position it was in before. This would be a perfect mod for the seat portion as well. Ideally would be linked to the existing handle which could disengage both the back and seat portions, allow the seat to be manually pushed forward, then manually pushed back and reclined and then lock back on to the power assemblies? I know it's not quite as simple to do as it sounds but really, it can't be that hard.

Also, I totally agree about the sunroof. The windows are express down AND up and that button is on the door, easily accessed and NOT in the way of forward vision. Holding your arm up waiting for the sunroof to close is totally in the way of forward vision. Plus, the second click is there which tells me that it must have at least been thought of!! Seems like this could be as easy as programming? It would be nice to hear from GM on this....

Anyhow, I'm still in the hunt!! If anyone out there has figured a solution to these gripes I would love to hear about it!!

Veni, Vidi, Vici

Quote:

Tags
express seat, express sunroof, mod, power seat, power sunroof