Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Disgusting policy on Gm's part or whoever created this.

Thought you guys might enjoy this story.

So roughly a year ago I was about to head down to Seattle to grab my brand new 2012 which was on the lot - Black on black Camaro. After contacting the dealer, sorting out a price, and negotiating everything I was ready to leave.

Huge excitement on my part, I was counting down the days like a 10 year old on Christmas. Day of the transaction I get in contact with the dealership to let them know that I will be there in roughly 6 hours as I am driving over from Canada.

Dealer goes silent, tells me sorry deals off. I ask why. He tells me "we are not allowed to sell cars to Canadians". I ask him why? He tells me its a agreement GM has with the Canadian version of the company.

This is absolute discriminatory garbage...to this day, they still will not sell a brand new car off of their lot to Canadians. YET the opposite is possible here.

I find this to be highly offensive, it almost made me turn away from GM forever. Luckily the Camaro did the persuasion and I still bought one in private avoiding all dealerships.

I still cannot believe they would do such a thing...
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
ss04flores
2012 Camaro SS

Drives: 2012 camaro ss
Sounds odd. Did they tell you whats the reason?
Old 06-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss04flores View Post
Sounds odd. Did they tell you whats the reason?
Yes they did, by email. They basically repeated again.

We are not allowed to sell to Canadian customers. I would lose my job if GM found out I sold you a car and you are a Canadian citizen and you brought the car to your country.

I asked many more times, and got the same answer, "we just are not allowed due to policy". Eventually they stopped replying to me. Keep in mind I kept EVERYTHING civil did not get rude or angry. I really wanted to get a answer out of then....

Apparently what Canadians CAN do is get a American friend to buy them the car, then gift transfer it over.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
ss04flores
2012 Camaro SS

This sound ridiculous. Have to tried contacting GM?
Old 06-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
camarozzzz

Quote:
This sound ridiculous. Have to tried contacting GM?
I did not but I did a TON of research on this matter, as this is absolute bullshit. I love America and Americans, there is not any ****ing rivalry here or imagined anything. What I did find was TONS AND TONS of attempted and failed lawsuits against this policy, as well as tons of previous individuals being treated identically.

This is one example of apparently hundreds out there:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/06...n_1596030.html

Surprisingly VERY VERY few people know about this policy, and its one of those shady tactics that exist in today's money hungry world.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
norton750

Drives: 2010 2LT sumit white
Didn't you know this ? Not just GM. try buying a ford, dodge, Polaris, Skidoo, just about any new vehicle
norton750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Buying and selling cars in other countries has always been a huge problem. I've done it many times in Europe...exasperating and you can't seem to do a thing about it. Sorry for your trouble, but be sure to buy one in Canada when you can...you'll love it.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton750 View Post
Didn't you know this ? Not just GM. try buying a ford, dodge, Polaris, Skidoo, just about any new vehicle
No I did not know this hence the present situation that arose and this thread I created. This is against the very laws the country has...its ridiculous. Its a huge money gauging tactic on part of both countries governments and the corporations...
Old 06-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
Buying and selling cars in other countries has always been a huge problem. I've done it many times in Europe...exasperating and you can't seem to do a thing about it. Sorry for your trouble, but be sure to buy one in Canada when you can...you'll love it.
Oooo I already have I got it in private second hand in order to avoid all dealerships from making a profit on me. I got a more than fair price too!

Trust me I love the car, if it were not the fact it was a Camaro I would have literally stepped away from GM forever.

The major reason I was so upset was basically that the 2012 1LS was going for 1900$ American, and something like 25k Canadian. Its all designed to basically gauge people.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
ss04flores
2012 Camaro SS

The only thing i can think of is that in Mexico one cannot register an american bought vehicle that is less than 15 years old(Or somewhere around there). In order to have Mexican citizens buy from Mexican dealerships.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
camarozzzz

Quote:
The only thing i can think of is that in Mexico one cannot register a vehicle that is less than 15 years old(Or somewhere around there). In order to have Mexican citizens buy from Mexican dealerships.
Canada has this same policy when importing from any Asian countries such as Japan - its to prevent cars like the Nissan skylines in and what not - the cars have to be 15 years or more.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
norton750

Drives: 2010 2LT sumit white
It came about when people realised that a new car in the USA costs so much less than in Canada and started cross border shopping for cars.
norton750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #13
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton750 View Post
It came about when people realised that a new car in the USA costs so much less than in Canada and started cross border shopping for cars.
But why is it then that when the dollar is in favor of America such as currently. Americans are allowed to come here and buy up all of the Canadian cars and take them home.

This seems like a one way policy. I would agree with it if it where 2 way. But this is 100% targeted at charging Canadians more.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #14
mcbeth15

Drives: '11 RS 2LT IBM
Has anybody told the GM execs where the camaro's made?
mcbeth15 is offline   Reply With Quote