Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
1badtie

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
ported subwoofer box that fits in the trunk?

i went down to my local car audio store the purchase a ported subwoofer box for my two 10 inch subs i went to see if it would fit but the trunk opening was not big enough nor was the back seat access to the trunk so this is my question has anyone found a ported box for two 10 inch subs? if so please let me know so i can order asap. i know ******** has custom made boxes for camaros but none are ported...
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
n-shane@hotmail.com

Drives: 2010 MAROOOOOO
ported seems to be useless seeing as how the ported flow wont go into the cabin. it will just be muffled in the trunk. think of it like talking with you hand over your mouth... i have a full enclosed box with 2 12s and wow does it hit bro.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
1badtie

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
good point .ya ill prolly jus end up getting a sealed one anyways..
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
n-shane@hotmail.com

Drives: 2010 MAROOOOOO
check out my thread i just put up. its my entire system . check it out bro. audio section.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
scnhra

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS White
Send a message via ICQ to scnhra
Ported would not be useless. If you have low power and a very effecient sub ported would be the way to go. However I do agree the sound would be muffled.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
tightchevelle69
Derrick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
i agree about a sealed box. i built one to fit in the trunk the way i wanted. it has 2 12"kickers getting about 240watts rms each. they sound great. they will sound better when i get a bigger amp!

2010 ABM 2SS/RS, A6, home Dec 10th, wifes birthday present!
2007 GMC Yukon XL, 2000 S10 Xtreme, 1969 Chevelle
tightchevelle69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
FIREWOLFF

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
custom built ported box! If ported in the trunk was useless so would sealed. Bass is omni directional it will fill the car no matter where it is. Ported boxes are more efficient and if built right alot louder.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
jordan 572

Drives: none
lip down the back seat
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
bummpppp
I just bought 2 10 inch type rs with the m1000 amp and i cant find anything. please help, i love ported.
nikos30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
Sour DeeZ

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS RS M6
Ported or Sealed is a preferance. Seeing how this trunk is small piece of crap. I could not do the system I wanted without spending a fortune.
2011 SS/RS IOM M6 --- Kooks 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers Coated, Kooks 3" HFC, Kooks X-pipe, Kooks 3" Cat-back, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Custom Quad Exhaust & Diffuser, Custom Tuned at Jannetty Racing. (2) 10" JL Audio w6's. Rockford Fosgate Power T500-1. Cache COE6.
Sour DeeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #11
Hamilton2400

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra/2015 GMC Acadia
********.com. They have custom boxes to fit our camaros
Hamilton2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
Look at some websites for boxes. They have some really cool custom boxes for the camaro.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #13
TeamTCA

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS #21068
I have also had several requests for PORTED enclosures for the Camaro also. I will be working on some designs in the near future. There is nothing wrong with sealed but generally I tell most of my customers to "go ported or go home". There are several advantages to ported: much more output than sealed (usually 3dB minimum--- typically around 5dB louder than sealed with exact same variables--- same sub, amp, etc) plus the low end extension that you CANNOT get with a sealed enclosure. Easy to get down to 30-35Hz F3 with ported. Same sealed box usually is around 45Hz at best on a good sub. In other words, a ported 10" sub with enough volume will sound like a 15". Disadvantages: normally LARGER overall size than ported with minimum space req'd per sub size, port or vent design must be accurate (to sub being used), and sonically the response will have a "hump" in frequency usually around 50Hz depending on size and tuning freq (meaning wherever the "hump" is in the response, bass freq will be naturally much louder at that point).... Sealed enclosures are smoother sounding, require no design, but do need to meet minimum box sizes to perform.

In a Camaro, the problem is the size of the opening in the trunk. The trunk itself has a decent amount of room but anything built into it must either enter from the main trunk opening or the front seat area which again limits "how big" you can build an enclosure. The areas on each rear side in the trunk or prime area for a subbox but most have to be built custom to fit (and fit thru the trunk opening). If you do NOT want to cut anything in the car (OEM trunk carpet) then this limits how big you can build one. You need at least 1.0 cu ft to PORT a 10" sub and have good results. Larger, even better. We usually don't go bigger than 1.4 or 1.5 cu ft per 10" and this is really not happening in a Camaro on each side without removing some carpet and building a subbox to use every inch of space there. 12" or pointless in this location UNLESS sealed. There are tons of drivers out there that do extremely well sealed in around 1 cu ft. but NOT ported. I would put a 10" ported in EVERY TIME over a 12" sealed but that's my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree. A 12" sub needs 1.5 cu ft MIN, more close to 2.0cu ft EACH to perform well. And of course, the other alternative is to build a more basic, rectangular subbox to fit across the entire area in the front of the trunk (going all the way across) but again, limited to how big will fit INTO the trunk. Also, will almost always be louder with better bass response with subs firing to the rear of the car (basically, loading them against the rear wall, whereas the bass wave is reflected back into the cabin area)...

Just thoughts... Fast and easy with good results (considering) go with a prefab ******** or similar box. Keep in mind "prefab" boxes are built to fit with minimum amount of time to install them and are usually pretty cost effective.. Better results = have something custom built like you want. Custom work will be more expensive without question but a good shop will build the box better and offer you options on cosmetic finishes as well. It makes no difference how a box is finished on the outside either (carpet, vinyl, fiberglass & paint)... They will all sound the same. You will pay more for the amount of time involved to deliver the "flash" in a custom install.

Kenwood Excelon, Rockford Fosgate, JBL, Hertz, Audison, Illusion Audio,
Mosconi, Diamond Audio, Hybrid Audio, WetSounds, & more
TeamTCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #14
Kevinshawnm
Biggz

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 Rally Yellow
Have Steve build you a ported enclosure.
Kevinshawnm is offline   Reply With Quote