Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Amp grounding

When installing an amp in the trunk, how and where are people grounding the amp?

Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
AmericanV8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, Chrysler 300 SRT8
I used the metal assembly that holds the battery in place. I'm almost certain that is what the vehicle is grounded to as well. If you remove the air compressor and look down at the battery you'll find it on the bottom right. I hope this helps. Sorry don't have picks to post up.......
AmericanV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Yup, same place...power from the opposite side, off the battery, with an inline fuse.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Moriartii

My particular amp says to keep the ground wire as short as possible, not longer than 10" inches. Is this a big deal or?

Cheers
K
Old 03-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Use a large enough gauge and it should be fine. The one that came with my MBQuart was huge!

Where are you putting the amp in the trunk?
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Old 03-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
Moriartii

The amp is either going on the back of enclosure facing the passthrough area or on the front facing into the trunk. Depends on how Steve designs it.
I will be using 4 GA wire for power and ground.
Cheers
K
Old 03-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Then you're set! That's huge! no issues there...Good luck!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
When I install an amp in a trunk with the battery back there, I always ground directly to the battery. Reason for this is the ground wire from the battery to the car is only usually big enough for everything that's already in the car, not the demands of the extra amp(s).

The proper way to do it in ANY car is to add an extra ground strap from the battery to the body of the vehicle the size of the amp wire you're using if you can't go to the battery directly.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
strauchpete
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
I would do power and ground directly to the battery since it is right there and then do an upgrade ground from the battery to the cars body.
strauchpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #10
Moriartii

Bringing this back up.

-I have the enclosure, its a ******** dual made to house one 12" sub (goes in the pass through area of the trunk).

-I am using the Stinger HPM #4 Amp install kit (btw very nice stuff!!)
-My amp specifically says to keep my ground 10" or shorter.
-I am mounting my amp to the back of my enclosure between the enclosure and the back seat.
-Given my requirement of the 10" ground where can I ground to? Not too keen on drilling into the car. If I could drill through a panel without going through the car body it would be fine. I dont believe I have enough length to reach the battery, either the terminal or the bracket.

Thoughts or pics?
Thank you
K
Old 04-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
You could always upgrade to 2/0 and go to the factory ground, or battery. While keeping the ground as short as possible is ideal, it's not something set in stone. That said, you don't want a 2' ground either.

Find a good brace, sand all the paint off and through bolt it, if you can't reach the battery/factory ground. Should be one on either side of where you are looking to put the enclosure. If not, I'll look in my trunk and see if I can come up with something.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #12
Moriartii

Thanks Mrray! I appreciate it!
You dont think those braces would be too small?
K
Old 04-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
Moriartii

In this picture, courtesy of third1 as it is their trunk, could I ground to the brace rail that you can see poking out in the lower left corner? The orange power cord is there and the carpet panel is covering part of it.

Cheers
K
Old 04-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #14
Moriartii

Bump for some love since I had my album pics set to private.

Fixed that so now maybe you all can see what I am referring to.
K