Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
adk46r
PROUD MARINE DAD! OORAH!!

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS,1967 Murina Blue RS
Question 1967 Camaro RS....

Hey guys I'm looking for a little help. I was on my way home from work yesterday and drove by what I thought was a 68 maro.....I swung it around and lo and behold it was a 67 RS, it has matching numbers ans has been totally gone through, every bushing, every piece of rubber, new springs, new gas tank, new interior, I mean it's sweet. the only thing is that it has an old TA hood and a spoiler on the trunk lid, also I checked it out and found that it was originally Granada Gold and it's now Emerald Turquoise...it has a few minor paint flaws under the doors ans a few minor dents that someone missed, I mean hardly noticeable.....It has a totally gone through 327 and custom exhaust. Sorry I didn't have my camera with me so no pics yet! My question is do you guys think it would be worth the 23K the dude is asking, just looking for some advise. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

Delivered 6/12/09 VIN#2G1FT1EW3A9112635!!!
adk46r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
I say no. The RS option is nice, but the 327 was pretty common. It's not an SS (or it would have a 350 or a 396), so it's not that terribly rare. Remember, there were over 200,000 Camaros built in that year model.

Make SURE it's numbers-matching. Don't just take his word for it.
Bring a magnet to check for bondo, and crawl under the body, look under the trunk mat, under the wheel wells, and under the back windshield for rust. Also check the rocker panels.
Do the hidden headlight doors work? They were electrical in 1967, went to vacuum operated for '68 and '69.
The T/A hood and spoiler brings the value down if you tell him you're looking for a true restoration.
The fact that it's not the original color brings the value down.

Assuming everything checks out ok, I still think 23 is high. For a non SS, non Z/28, RS only V-8.... well, there's a lot of those. I'm sure he spent a lot of money restoring it, but is it worth 23,000? I don't think so. But I'm sure some sucker off E-bay will pay it. I wouldn't pay over 18,000. I'd try to get him to 15,000.

Good luck! The '68 was my favorite year model, then the '67, then the '69.
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
Gibb

Drives: 1967 rs/ss 396 4speed
I have a 67 Coupe with Gold interior. It was Granada Gold and I changed it to Black. It's a 327/275 with a Two speed auto with Deluxe interior and 23,000 original miles. It was Appraised at 24,500 before I painted it. Probably cost me money to change the color. I don't care it's not for sale at any price.
I have a 67 RS/SS 396 4 Speed it was appraised at 34,500 in 2005. I will know better next year what it is worth as It will need a new appraisel in 2010.

Hope that helps
Gibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
Well, the car might be worth 23k depending on how much you want it. You wrote "...minor paint flaws under the doors..." Are these rust bubbles coming through the paint, poor paint prep, or actual flaws in the paint? Granada gold was the 3rd most used color behind bolero red and butternut yellow. Honestly, you see a lot of SS and Z28's at car shows and not so many "just" coupes. The RS option, while cosmetic, is desirable and I'll disagree with UsedTaHaveA68 as, although there were 220,906 built in '67, I think that "regular" coupes are becoming more rare, especially the I6's. Also, a non-performance model typically sees a lot less abuse as they are typically not hot-rodded around. Does the car come with documentation (i.e., build sheet, Protect-O-Plate, etc.)? Does the owner have photos of the car during restoration? You really need to do a thorough check of the car as paint can hide a lot. I recently saw photos of a silver '68 that looked to be in good shape. When the owner got into it, there was thin metal (e.g., roof flashing) in the rockers, and other areas, that was riveted in to hide a bunch of rust underneath. If the car is in good shape and no evidence of rust can be found, then I'd start around $16-17k and go from there. If there are things about the car that give you pause, then walk away. In this economy, the last thing you need to do is throw away thousands of dollars on a car that will take $20-30k more to make it right. By then, you are into the car $38-50k. If you are thinking of buying in the hopes of later selling it for a profit, then that's a gamble I would not be willing to take right now.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
adk46r

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDoc View Post
Well, the car might be worth 23k depending on how much you want it. You wrote "...minor paint flaws under the doors..." Are these rust bubbles coming through the paint, poor paint prep, or actual flaws in the paint? Granada gold was the 3rd most used color behind bolero red and butternut yellow. Honestly, you see a lot of SS and Z28's at car shows and not so many "just" coupes. The RS option, while cosmetic, is desirable and I'll disagree with UsedTaHaveA68 as, although there were 220,906 built in '67, I think that "regular" coupes are becoming more rare, especially the I6's. Also, a non-performance model typically sees a lot less abuse as they are typically not hot-rodded around. Does the car come with documentation (i.e., build sheet, Protect-O-Plate, etc.)? Does the owner have photos of the car during restoration? You really need to do a thorough check of the car as paint can hide a lot. I recently saw photos of a silver '68 that looked to be in good shape. When the owner got into it, there was thin metal (e.g., roof flashing) in the rockers, and other areas, that was riveted in to hide a bunch of rust underneath. If the car is in good shape and no evidence of rust can be found, then I'd start around $16-17k and go from there. If there are things about the car that give you pause, then walk away. In this economy, the last thing you need to do is throw away thousands of dollars on a car that will take $20-30k more to make it right. By then, you are into the car $38-50k. If you are thinking of buying in the hopes of later selling it for a profit, then that's a gamble I would not be willing to take right now.

Thanks for all the good info and opinions guys, this is why I love Camaro5!!
I'm bringing my camera down tomorrow afternoon and I'll take some good pics and post. By "Minor paint flaws" I mean looks like they were in a bit of a hurry or maybe it was late. I'll go through it much more thorough tomorrow and post with the pics. The guy usually does a car every winter and has done some real beauties!! He tells me that 23K is what he has into it and thats what his "NO bullsh*t" price is. We'll see what tomorrow brings and go from there! Thanks again for the great info!!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
adk46r

1967 RS Camaro PICS>>>

Here is a link to the pics....LMK what you guys think.....Sorry but I had a DRR moment and didn't get any interior pics but it's all brand new except for the dash and instruments. Oh ya this is a powerglide auto transmission. LMK what you think if you would! Thanks!!

http://s688.photobucket.com/albums/v...k46r/?newest=1

Old 05-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Well there's no way in heck you could buy one and restore it for that money. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So the question is, are you willing to pay that for it? Looks pretty good to me.

One note though, in '67 they normally didn't stamp the partial VIN on anything but the higher performance SS's and Z/28's. Don't see a partial VIN on the engine pad. So technically it can't be "numbers matching" unless there is a partial VIN stamped on the block. Don't think I've ever seen a '67 327 with it.
Also remember that it's technology is over 40 years old, and it will not drive like a more modern car. They make great cruisers though!
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
adk46r

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
Well there's no way in heck you could buy one and restore it for that money. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So the question is, are you willing to pay that for it? Looks pretty good to me.

One note though, in '67 they normally didn't stamp the partial VIN on anything but the higher performance SS's and Z/28's. Don't see a partial VIN on the engine pad. So technically it can't be "numbers matching" unless there is a partial VIN stamped on the block. Don't think I've ever seen a '67 327 with it.
Also remember that it's technology is over 40 years old, and it will not drive like a more modern car. They make great cruisers though!
Ya I realize it won't be a modern beast but my 2010 SS wil be here soon so what I'm looking for is the cruiser!! I looked at it the same way, there is no way I could buy it and do a restore for that price!! He has several pics of the original condition....she was pretty rough!! He also added disc brakes on the front. Do you think the value would appreciate even though it's not the original color? Also according to the Cowl Tag it had a "Custom Interior" I'm not exactly sure what that means She sure is pretty and sounds sweet too!! There are numbers on the front of the block but you can't really read them to well with the paint. I know the early Vettes used to put theirs there but didn't the 327 have a Vin stamped on the back of the block by the cowl??
Thanks for the input I'll guess I'll take her out for a test drive tonight and then maybe put down a deposit....still not sure yet though.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
OK, the car looks o.k., but I would take a much closer look. Frankly, it looks like "they" (whoever they are) painted over a door that had some rust damage and they did not bother to repair it. And, that makes me wonder what else did they not fix correctly. The "custom interior" just means that it was the deluxe interior that was a step-up from the standard. In your case, the "711" refers to a custom interior that was originally gold...and the exterior was originally Granada Gold. The photos of the underside look nice and clean and the chrome seems to fit pretty good. If you are serious about the car, then go back and look up under the dash (lie on your back with your head by the brake pedal. If you see little to no surface rust, then that is a great sign. You should be able to see if any repair work has been done as well. Also, roll down the windows and look down into the door shell to get an idea of the condition of the doors. If all is good, then make an offer if you are so inclined.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
adk46r

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDoc View Post
OK, the car looks o.k., but I would take a much closer look. Frankly, it looks like "they" (whoever they are) painted over a door that had some rust damage and they did not bother to repair it. And, that makes me wonder what else did they not fix correctly. The "custom interior" just means that it was the deluxe interior that was a step-up from the standard. In your case, the "711" refers to a custom interior that was originally gold...and the exterior was originally Granada Gold. The photos of the underside look nice and clean and the chrome seems to fit pretty good. If you are serious about the car, then go back and look up under the dash (lie on your back with your head by the brake pedal. If you see little to no surface rust, then that is a great sign. You should be able to see if any repair work has been done as well. Also, roll down the windows and look down into the door shell to get an idea of the condition of the doors. If all is good, then make an offer if you are so inclined.
Yeah...I noticed that too about the doors. I really went over it and that was the only questionable spots for me. The underside of the doors were clean and didn't show any signs of rust or bondo. The paint has a few flaws also, she isn't perfect but she's really nice. He said so himself, that's why he's not asking 30K. My real concern is would it be an investment or will she depreciate with time? I'm just not that knowledgeable about collectible cars! Oh also she has power windows and they work great as does all the rest of the electrical. LMK what you guys think!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #11
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
I would ask the guy if you are allowed to have a expert come look at the car, Get a hold of a local Camaro club & have someone who knows their stuff on this year of car, or even have someone that works for an ajester come out & look at the car.

for me It would be worth it, but thats me. I would also want to get under the car with a lift & check for holds or replacement panels under the car.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote