Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 02-06-2017, 05:34 AM   #379
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Nice to hear you're getting back in the game...

-Don
Thanks man...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2017, 11:33 AM   #380
Firefighter

Let me just add for any younger people following my thread and to the chagrin of the older fellas. Enjoy your youth, once you hit 40 things just don't heal like they used to. I would've bounced back in a month or two from my injury 20 years ago. That damned ankle still hurts like a mofo and it's been 6-8 months...

Old 02-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #381
10 2SS/RS 6M

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 bone stock 9K miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Let me just add for any younger people following my thread and to the chagrin of the older fellas. Enjoy your youth, once you hit 40 things just don't heal like they used to. I would've bounced back in a month or two from my injury 20 years ago. That damned ankle still hurts like a mofo and it's been 6-8 months...

That's so true, I wish I was 30 again! Young men- -think about it,...Don't bang up you body... Because when you get older, you will see how hard it is to get out of bed until you start moving!

Yes, anything with the ankles and feet take forever to heal. I bruised my right heal, I was on crutches for 2 months, man that hurt!
SLP- long tube headers, hi flow cats w/full SLP 3'' PowerFlo exhaust incl/X-pipe, 160 degree stat, SLP Blackwing CAI. Dyno tuned by ECS-407/409RWHP&TQ. BMR- trailing arms w/poly knuckle bushings, toe links, cradle bushings and differential bushings. QA1 rear lower control arms. Hurst short throw shifter, SS- level 4 axles, DSS- aluminum driveshaft, Pfadt- sport 1.5" rear sway-bar. SPOHN 1.25" front sway-bar. Monster LT1-S twin clutch. Prothane motor mounts. Best 1/4 mile so far- 12:70ET @ 112.24 MPH w/ 2.06 second 60'.
SOLD.
10 2SS/RS 6M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #382
Firefighter

So I started getting some of my parts in...

The belly pan showed up cracked they packed it like crap. So now I need to square that issue away.

The Race Ramps came in and they look pretty good. I'd never seen a set before they are a pretty interesting set up. I bought the 56" 2 piece ones so once the car is up I can remove the front half.

The ACS rad support that activates the mail slot is coming in next week.

As it stands the plan is to do the clutch reservoir this weekend and then next week end do the rad support and belly pan.

I'm also coming to the conclusion that I'm getting a Havoc rear diffuser. At one point they had offered to make an NPP version for me and I decided against it. Now I'm really leaning towards it if they'll still make the NPP version.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:29 PM   #383
Firefighter

Well as it stands right now none of my parts are going to be here in time for the weekend.

The pan came in broken and the replacement part still hasn't left and it's Wednesday night.

The ACS part finally left today and I won't see it until next week hopefully on Wednesday.

So that screws the whole weekend project plans...

To hell with it... I'm going shooting.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:06 PM   #384
Firefighter

Well all the stuff got put together over the weekend. I'll have pics tomorrow. List of things accomplished.

ACS T3 Radiator support. Minimal air introduced but finally the mail slot is functional.

Belly pan installed. Only a few mods needed to the pan but pretty much bolt on.

Added some of the ZL1 Add-ons curb guards. I've had them sitting around forever.

Tilton clutch reservoir installed. Only made 3 brackets before I got it right... lol

Flushed the brake fluid and clutch too... I apparently let it go too long.

Oil change because it was due... nothing special.

I'll add pics tomorrow...

Last edited by Firefighter; 04-12-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:25 PM   #385
Firefighter

Well I forgot to take pics under the car. Here's the clutch reservoir.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #386
Firefighter

I'll snap some pics of the T3 Rad support mod and the ZL1 pan later.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:15 PM   #387
Firefighter

So... I bought something today.

It's the Duraflex H Sport Rear Diffuser... I know... I know... Duraflex. They offer a CF one and a Fibreglass one. They had very similar weights around 7lbs. The glass one is to my door for about $290.

I know how to work glass pretty well so modding it will be no issue for me. I need to make it work for my NPP exhaust. At less than half the price of the part it is obviously copied off of and being a material that I'm comfortable in working with, I'm willing to take the chance. I'll be making enough mods that any fitment issues can be dealt with then.

I'm not for a second saying this is any better than the original piece. I'm not even saying that it's right to have something copied, but hell I'll be finished at under $500 that's about 1/3 of the price that the original manufacturer was going to send one to my door ready to install... I mean shit... I'm just a Firefighter $1,000 is kind of a big deal.

Wish me luck... LoL

BTW... I dealt with the original company and they are some good people...

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #388
Firefighter

I've been doing research on what type of resin to use. The Duraflex is supposed to be a FRP (Fibreglass Reinforced Plastic) a more flexible type of fibreglass. I've been thinking that I need to use the Vinyl Ester resin. It's supposed to be more resilient to flex and rebound and resistant to cracking.

If anyone has any input I'd appreciate it...

Old 04-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #389
Firefighter

So this is the first time in forever both the cars were clean at the same time. I figured a few pics were in order.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:32 PM   #390
Firefighter

I've been trying to brainstorm exactly what I wanted the openings around the tail pipes to look like. Since I have to make them from scratch I have options but also the difficulty. Then it hit me...

I like the look of the Z/28 rear diffuser.

How can I mimic this look but stay in line with the '10-'13 rear? Easy... mimic the look of the taillights. How to do that? Possibly not so easy...

Then genius hit me... just get some bezels and make it happen.

I did a WTB some bezels in a local FB Camaro group and had two guys step up almost immediately. The best part is they didn't want any money (I tried) well the one guy had two sets and a killer '13 1LE. We talked for a while and off I went with my bezels.

So holding them up to the tips I'm thinking the inside bezels are the right shape for the job. I need to section them and add maybe 3/4" in both directions. Fill & shape then add some tubes and a flat part to make my fibreglass pieces pull out the frankenbezels I make and graft them to the diffuser...

I'll be able to plan better once the diffuser gets here in a couple of weeks.

I'm making steps in the right direction though.

Last edited by Firefighter; 04-21-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #391
Firefighter

Diffuser showed up today. Looks good and I should be able to make it do exactly what I want it to. The tail light bezel sitting there is just to give an idea of what my plan is. I'll modify the bezels to fit the tails and then make my molds out of glass to modify the diffuser.

I'm also thinking I will make a diffuser belly pan like ZL1 add-ons has for the Z/28 pan. I'll most likely make mine out of glass.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:22 AM   #392
hooch

Drives: 2012 SS RS
Any update on the diffuser? Looks like a cool project.

On a side note, I’ve been thinking about buying that one as opposed to the real brand. I know it’s iffy, but I think once it’s satin black and near the ground it’ll look just as good. Have any thoughts?
hooch is offline   Reply With Quote