Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-15-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
Totaled 2010 2LT/RS - Advice

So Daisy's reign as the Sassiest V6 in the South has come to an end.

A driver did an illegal lane change into the front fender of my car while my husband was driving her to work going 75mph.

There were 10,000 ways the situation could have been worse but my husband walked away with nothing but a really sore back and a mild concussion - for which I'm super grateful!

Spoke with the body shop, and while I'm still waiting for the official word from insurance they are saying totaled.

This is not just a car to me, not just a way to get from point A to point B. I saved every paycheck for a straight year in college for this car. I have seen half the United States and met hundreds of people who I now call friends and family. Its like losing a friend.

Any tips on what to ask insurance and what I should consider an acceptable amount from insurance would be great.

Daisy in her former glory.

Last edited by bossbunny; 08-15-2015 at 10:28 PM.
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:18 PM   #2
clashley1976

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS M6
Ouch. This makes me tear up a little bit. I'm glad there were no serious injuries.
CAI intake, VTC, VMax PTB, VMax Iceolator, Apex intake scoop, Roto-Fab washer bottle relocate
Build Journal: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419992

clashley1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I remember when you got the hood installed. I think the hood made the car unique. Looked great in her day! Sorry for your loss.

Total would be tough to call. Hopefully someone here with some insurance experience can have a better idea. One thing though is for certain...usually you don't want to take the first offer, because it's usually low.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Glad to hear no one was seriously hurt; sorry about your Camaro. Not familiar enough to give any insurance advice, but I'm sure there are some here that can be helpful .... good luck.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:57 PM   #5
ricosuave
MC-12W

Drives: 2006 Civic LX, 2011 Camaro 1SS
ouch..that hurts just looking at it..glad no one was hurt
Old 08-15-2015, 09:02 PM   #6
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Oh no! At least your husband is OK.

As for the insurance company, make sure you let them know about all of the aftermarket parts you had installed, including paint work. If you can find your receipts for all of the work you had done, give them a copy. You should be reimbursed for all of the custom work you had done since their initial estimate will likely only be based on a 5 year old stock Camaro.

Time to start planning for a 6th gen...wasn't ordering supposed to start around mid-August?
Old 08-15-2015, 10:14 PM   #7
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
I remember when you got the hood installed. I think the hood made the car unique. Looked great in her day! Sorry for your loss.

Total would be tough to call. Hopefully someone here with some insurance experience can have a better idea. One thing though is for certain...usually you don't want to take the first offer, because it's usually low.
Awe! Me too! She was a sexy little beast.

Thats what I have heard too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Glad to hear no one was seriously hurt; sorry about your Camaro. Not familiar enough to give any insurance advice, but I'm sure there are some here that can be helpful .... good luck.
I'm so thankful my husband wasn't seriously injured. There were so many things that could have gone wrong and made it worse (like the car shutting down in the middle of the free way during rush hour traffic and him having to push it off).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
ouch..that hurts just looking at it..glad no one was hurt
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Oh no! At least your husband is OK.

As for the insurance company, make sure you let them know about all of the aftermarket parts you had installed, including paint work. If you can find your receipts for all of the work you had done, give them a copy. You should be reimbursed for all of the custom work you had done since their initial estimate will likely only be based on a 5 year old stock Camaro.

Time to start planning for a 6th gen...wasn't ordering supposed to start around mid-August?
Exactly.

I have all my receipts for my lights, my hood and my paint. What I don't have is my exhaust, my headers and sway bars. Which I wonder if they would consider those.

It depends on what I get for my car as to what I get. So we will see.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:29 PM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Oh noooo, So sad to see this, but super glad to hear Skip is OK (the important part).

6th Gen ordering begins in a couple weeks if it's in the cards.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:32 PM   #9
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
First, it is great that your husband is safe!

About insurance companies, let them know EVERY aftermarket expense you had, including window tint, decals, EVERYTHING! If you have receipts, better! If not, contact the vendors some of them may still have your order in their system.

last yr, my insurance company gave me over $20K for an 8 yr old Pontiac Solstice GXP and then mailed me a check for a little over $200 when they discovered other aftermarket parts while they were dismantling it.

Good luck and please get another SASSY CAMARO!!!

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:33 PM   #10
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Oh noooo, So sad to see this, but super glad to hear Skip is OK (the important part).

6th Gen ordering begins in a couple weeks if it's in the cards.
Yes! He called me almost in tears and the first thing out of his mouth was, "Please don't kill me but your car is totaled." Is it bad if your husband fears you? Lol.

Considering kids my be in the works in the next few years I'm not sure if we are going to get another Camaro right now. But I did go test drive a new SS yesterday. So who knows.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:44 PM   #11
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMADONNA View Post
First, it is great that your husband is safe!

About insurance companies, let them know EVERY aftermarket expense you had, including window tint, decals, EVERYTHING! If you have receipts, better! If not, contact the vendors some of them may still have your order in their system.

last yr, my insurance company gave me over $20K for an 8 yr old Pontiac Solstice GXP and then mailed me a check for a little over $200 when they discovered other aftermarket parts while they were dismantling it.

Good luck and please get another SASSY CAMARO!!!
Indeed!

I made a list of all the aftermarket mods to the car and I'm working on getting all the performance receipts (I have all the cosmetic ones).

Really? DANG! That gives me hope. How many miles did it have?

Well I'm hoping they give me what I believe its worth but we will see.

Thank you!
Old 08-15-2015, 10:52 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbunny View Post
Yes! He called me almost in tears and the first thing out of his mouth was, "Please don't kill me but your car is totaled." Is it bad if your husband fears you? Lol.

Considering kids my be in the works in the next few years I'm not sure if we are going to get another Camaro right now. But I did go test drive a new SS yesterday. So who knows.
Poor guy... that call could not have been good.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:56 PM   #13
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Poor guy... that call could not have been good.
Well I was more worried about him at first. Until I saw he was okay. Then when I saw my car I was really upset (not with him though). If I ever find the loser who hit him and drove off without stopping it won't be pretty at all.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:58 PM   #14
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbunny View Post
Well I was more worried about him at first. Until I saw he was okay. Then when I saw my car I was really upset (not with him though). If I ever find the loser who hit him and drove off without stopping it won't be pretty at all.
...and they left the scene. Damn that sucks.