Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2012 Camaro5 Fest (III)

Old 08-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #421
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITMerc View Post
No problem, it is hard to tell much of anything once we get past the person taking the side shot video.
Nothing against Robert OR his car but everything else being equal its extremely hard for a manual tranny car to be quicker than a car using something like a 4L80 or Turbo400. There are of course ways to mitigate the loss of boost and forward thrust between gears but the reality is it puts them at a disadvantage vs a car that doesn't have those inherent problems. For a turbo car like we both have launching off a transbrake at full throttle then never having to lift to shift and never losing forward thrust for the ENTIRE race simply equates to quicker and more consistent ET's and makes it MUCH easier to make a really nice launch. I lose some MPH out the back end compared to a manual since the Turbo400 torque converter doesn't lock up, with a 4L80 you get that back but lose the transbrake launch. They all have their benefits/drawbacks and there are guys/cars that do a really good job getting the max out of their manual tranny! For me the difference was night and day and while I DID enjoy my old manual on the street the benefits from the 4L80 or Turbo400 are hard to argue with at the strip and I'm starting to enjoy it on the street too.
Throw in there as well that I'm running 3.07 gears, since the car was built for the mile, not the quarter... Still fun none the less... And I have a grand total of ten launches on my car... I've also run a 10.92 my first time out with a bad launch... So... With the "two years of this challenge being bantered" though my car has only had twins for about 15 or 16 months, maybe some day I'll be able to crawl back from the dead...

Wanna go a mile...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #422
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5THGENRS View Post
After 2 days my face matches her outfit!
Attachment 406303
You know, your phone has a feature to take pictures from the front instead of using the mirror.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #423
Atti2de
Móderator

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post

Wanna go a mile...

Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #424
Smkymts

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS
Didn't anyone stick around and take pictures of the final round of drag racing??

Who were the final top three in the different classes?

How about the postings of times and pictures of the AutoX participates and winners?

Are there a posting somewhere??

It would be nice to see a single posting of all the Car show award winners, Drag race events Top three and the AutoX individual times and winners in one place to finalize this great event.
Smkymts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #425
ITMerc
Account Suspended

Drives: A.R.D. 1500, LSX Twin Turbo
Quote:
Throw in there as well that I'm running 3.07 gears, since the car was built for the mile, not the quarter... Still fun none the less... And I have a grand total of ten launches on my car... I've also run a 10.92 my first time out with a bad launch... So... With the "two years of this challenge being bantered" though my car has only had twins for about 15 or 16 months, maybe some day I'll be able to crawl back from the dead...

Wanna go a mile...
Hi Robert! It was never my intent to poke you in the eye so I've gone back to any other posts and the vids and re-edited them to take out the small bit of braggadoccio regarding your potential status as a zombie. Heh! 16 months, 2 yrs, it was an approximation and the point was that there were in fact lots of folks out there in our region that had been talking about our 2 cars facing off for what amounts to a significant amount of time. I never really cared though to some extent I understood the interest since there aren't a TON of twin turbo cars out there. As I mentioned in the original post, I have nothing against you as a person OR against your car.

We're all familiar with the old saying "don't bring a knife to a gun fight"... Bringing a mile car to a 1/4 mile race is USUALLY going have a predictable outcome so hopefully its just done for the fun of it, sounds like you did so Kudo's. Me taking a 1/4 mile car with a 3 gear turbo400 tranny to a mile race would be pointless and I'm well aware of that. I DID do the half mile at Aero's and Auto's on my old 6speed, still have that tranny actually, but I don't ever intend to run my car in a mile. Regardless of how well built/tuned your car is it's extremely hard on the motor to hang it out there that long (the higher performance the motor the harder it actually is as I'm sure you know), and realistically speaking one shouldn't do it unless you can afford to build a new motor after each event like many of the high end competitors end up doing, either intentionally OR unintentionally... Not something I would like to have to do so I'll stick to the much more frequent and less stressful 1/4 mile stuff. Stuff breaks often enough there!

I actually only have around 15 TOTAL runs on that car and that weekend was the first time I had ever ran it with the new tranny so that race we had was my 3rd run with an entirely new set up. My best run was in qualifications with a 10.5 and a combination of driver error and a lack of time for a good mechanical shakedown kept that from being very low 10's, maybe edging into the 9's. My brain was still hard wired to lift during the 1st to 2nd gear shift which isn't needed in a Turbo400, and my linkage was slightly out of adjustment and the tranny didn't shift properly when I pulled the lever so I ended up hitting the rev limiter twice in that one qualifying run on top of also pointlessly lifting once. Practice makes perfect so I'll get it there pretty soon. We could both learn from Keith in that regard, he's a frikin gear rowing machine in Rubye!

BTW, due to the actual tranny ratios our final drive gear ratios aren't as far apart as you may think. I have a 3.55 rear end and the final drive ratios work out like this for our 2 tranny's (unless you have a custom 1st gear which is a possibility, I used standard published ratios.) Your final drive in 1st gear is actually shorter than mine but I'll still be in 1st when you're in 2nd, and you'll probably use 3rd while I'm in 2nd and 4th while I'm in 3rd.

Final drive ratios
______Me____________You
1st___8.804__________9.2407
2nd___5.254__________6.3549
3rd___3.55___________4.3901
4th___NA____________3.07

Actual tranny gear ratios
Turbo 400______TR6060
1__2.48________3.01
2__1.48________2.07
3__1.00________1.43
4__NA__________1.0
ITMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #426
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
So I finally go the video footage edited and uploaded...

Here is my 2nd run on the auto-x.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #427
Ladyblack

Drives: Camaro 2Lt 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSX_Camaro View Post
Nice Pics!
thank you BSX_Camaro
Old 08-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #428
Ladyblack

Drives: Camaro 2Lt 2010
Quote:
Hey Ladyblack,

I saw you guys taking pics at the entrance and the camera pointed at us... I like the shot...

Wish I had had a chance to visit...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1344439890
Happy that you like it, my pleasure :party0038:
Old 08-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #429
duffmobile

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - IOM/IOM

Special Thanks to Kevin for filming this!!
L99 with 2.8 LC Kenne Bell, Kooks 1 7/8 headers, Corsa Catback, R2C CAI, 491 RWHP / 500 RWTQ ---- 2010 MY #7539
duffmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #430
sugar'n'spice

Drives: .
We Canadians represented Canada at the Fest. We all had a blast !

Our friend Gary ( HINEY1 ) front row on the far left with his lovely wife Cindy....went all out and had these T-shirts made for us. Awesome !!!

On the floor on the far right is Bill (JAREDCAN ) who is our group photographer! Always does a FANTASTIC job!
Besides him is Rick ( Ripcard ) and his wife Karen. Both great people.

Back row...from the far left...
Denis ( camaroblack ) His wife Mariane ( Ladyblack ) absent from the picture was receiving a prize. Beside him is Chris ( Christ Chringle ) his wife Suzanne (2Fast4Her ) was absent...then there is Bev ( The Nurse ) and her man Tim ( tpower ) who is holding the Canadian flag ! Then there is my husband Rick ( camarorick ) and ME, Joanne ( sugar'n'spice ) and behind me is Jason ( RAVIRN ) his wife Louise could not make the event...and then Linda and her husband George ( mrbrans5 ) and Rachel ( RaayRaay ) and directly behind her is her husband Rick ( RickRay ) and Brad and Dianne ( Brad&Dianne ) Plus Dave ( Luckynuts ) and Karen (RRED HOT ) were most likely at the track...our whole group is full of wonderful people and I'm so proud to be a part of them!
Attached Images

Last edited by sugar'n'spice; 08-23-2012 at 10:42 AM.
sugar'n'spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #431
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Drives: 2011 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar'n'spice View Post
We Canadians represented Canada at the Fest. We all had a blast !

Our friend Gary ( HINEY1 ) front row on the far left with his lovely wife Cindy....went all out and had these T-shirts made for us. Awesome !!!

On the floor on the far right is Bill (JAREDCAN ) who is our group photographer! Always does a FANTASTIC job!
Besides him is Rick ( Ripcard ) and his wife Karen. Both great people.

Back row...from the far left...
Denis ( camaroblack ) His wife Mariane ( Ladyblack ) absent from the picture was receiving a prize. Beside him is Chris ( Christ Chringle ) his wife Suzanne (2Fast4Her ) was absent...then there is Bev ( The Nurse ) and her man Tim ( tpower ) who is holding the Canadian flag ! Then there is my husband Rick ( camarorick ) and ME, Joanne ( sugar'n'spice ) and behind me is Jason ( RAVIRN ) and then Linda and her husband George ( mrbrans5 ) and Rachel ( RaayRaay ) and directly behind her is her husband Rick ( RickRay ) and the last couple is Brad and Dianne ( Brad&Dianne ) ...our whole group is full of wonderful people and I'm so proud to be a part of them!
You guys/gals were awesome. I'm the one who you all invited into your large circle in the back. My wife an I had a great time meeting you all.

Last edited by GbrilliantQ; 08-23-2012 at 09:10 AM.
GbrilliantQ is offline   Reply With Quote