Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-22-2018, 05:00 PM   #1
camarokin

Drives: camaro ss 12
Remote Lock/Unlock stopped working

hi everyone,
I'm having an issue with remote entry to my 2012 SS,

My car started randomly opening the trunk about 3 times per week, then one day my remote stopped working.
I thought it was the battery so I changed it, then I tried my other key it did not work either, (Lock/Unlock)
I have used it to turn on the car, then tried to lock the car it worked only once,

Now both of my remotes can't Lock/Unlock the car nor remote start it, but they turn on the car normally.

My question is if the keys are recognized by the immobilizer and crank the engine normally, does that automatically mean it's programmed to unlock/lock the car, or should I reprogram them.

My GM dealership are really unprofessional in my area, I would like to try anything I can before asking for their help.

thank you
camarokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:24 AM   #2
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
If the immobilizer is programmed, the the transmitters should be as well. Check for DTCs in the BCM.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:33 AM   #3
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarokin View Post
hi everyone,
I'm having an issue with remote entry to my 2012 SS,

My car started randomly opening the trunk about 3 times per week, then one day my remote stopped working.
I thought it was the battery so I changed it, then I tried my other key it did not work either, (Lock/Unlock)
I have used it to turn on the car, then tried to lock the car it worked only once,

Now both of my remotes can't Lock/Unlock the car nor remote start it, but they turn on the car normally.

My question is if the keys are recognized by the immobilizer and crank the engine normally, does that automatically mean it's programmed to unlock/lock the car, or should I reprogram them.

My GM dealership are really unprofessional in my area, I would like to try anything I can before asking for their help.

thank you

First and foremost; "welcome to the Forum".

OK, your problem could involve one of three issues that you might look into, unfortunately if you don't have the manuals or proper tools you may want to consider seeing a dealership, even if you have to go outside your area.

1. There is one "module called the RKE module" (Remote Keyless Entry Module) this module contains the antenna for receiving and transmitting the signal.

2. The above module (RKE) is a shared module being it's also used by the TPMS system (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). If you are having an issues with any of the four TPM Sensors this might also interfere with your locking system.

3. Others have experienced problems with the "lock function" not working on the key FOB when the only problem was they had low air pressure in one single tire! Aired the tire and problem solved!

I might start with number 3 and work my way backwards. Any problems with tire pressure or tpms sensors?
Old 12-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #4
camarokin

Drives: camaro ss 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 View Post
First and foremost; "welcome to the Forum".

OK, your problem could involve one of three issues that you might look into, unfortunately if you don't have the manuals or proper tools you may want to consider seeing a dealership, even if you have to go outside your area.

1. There is one "module called the RKE module" (Remote Keyless Entry Module) this module contains the antenna for receiving and transmitting the signal.

2. The above module (RKE) is a shared module being it's also used by the TPMS system (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). If you are having an issues with any of the four TPM Sensors this might also interfere with your locking system.

3. Others have experienced problems with the "lock function" not working on the key FOB when the only problem was they had low air pressure in one single tire! Aired the tire and problem solved!

I might start with number 3 and work my way backwards. Any problems with tire pressure or tpms sensors?
thank you for your reply, tpms works great never had an issue with it,
camarokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:32 AM   #5
eatooe43
Augustus 2E

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro Z-28
I had a slow leak in the LF tire. I took just the tire to the Chevy dealer. The valve on my LF TPS (Tire Pressure Sensor) was leaking and was replaced. The dealer said I would need to bring the car in for the module to relearn the new TPS. The new TPS read correctly but the trunk would not unlock remotely. The doors would lock and unlock though. (The button inside the car will unlock the truck). 2015 Z-28
eatooe43 is offline   Reply With Quote