Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 06-01-2018, 07:44 AM   #15
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZIN View Post
OK FELLAS I CALLED A LOCAL SHOP THAT GAVE ME SOME IDEAS ON WHAT THEY THINK I SHOULD DO TO THE CAR IF I START TRACKING IT. I'M STILL GONNA DRIVE IT ON THE STREET AND PROB DO 3-4 TRACK DAYS A YEAR. I DEF WANT TO CHANGE CAMS AS I'VE ALWAYS WANTED A LOPING RUMBLE. THEY SAID THIS STEP 1ST THEN MOVE INTO A CAM AND NEW FUEL SYSTEM/INJECTORS.

STAINLESS POWER LONGTUBE HEADERS
COLD AIR INDUCTION COLD AIR INTAKE
AFCO HEAT EXCHANGER
UNDERHOOD SUPERCHARGER COOLANT EXPANSION TANK
MOTUL RBF 660 DOT 4 BRAKE FLUID
DYNO TUNE

THOUGHTS?
Thoughts?

Get some seat time and start with wheels/tires and suspension before adding power beyond perhaps a cold air & tune.

Road course driving in a car at the HPDE level is still more about the corners than it is about getting down the straights. There will be plenty of time to add the rumble once you've got some experience driving a lot closer to 9/10ths than the 3/10ths or so that defines most peoples' street cornering. I'm guessing that your street driving is not nearly as aggressive - relatively at least - as your street riding.

(I've heard about, but never seen, the little gremlin who turns the caps on when you aren't looking, and then steals the caps lock key)

Norm
Old 06-01-2018, 07:55 AM   #16
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
More power is the last step if at all for road course work. Grip and brakes. Seat time.

More power is fun though, can't argue that Just consider the whole car and how it works together. As you become a better driver, your pace increases, you carry more and more speed into, through and out of corners, getting you to the next corner that much faster. Everything matters. if you level up the power, level up the car to match.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:46 AM   #17
BLAZIN

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Thoughts?

Get some seat time and start with wheels/tires and suspension before adding power beyond perhaps a cold air & tune.

Road course driving as a developing HPDE driver is more about controlling the car into, through, and out of the corners than it is about the engine getting you down the straights. Much more, and there will be plenty of time to add the rumble once you've got some experience driving a lot closer to 9/10ths than the 3/10ths or so that defines most peoples' street cornering.

(I've heard about, but never seen, the little gremlin who turns the caps on when you aren't looking, and then steals the caps lock key)

Norm
THANKS NORM
MY WORK COMPUTER IS ALWAYS IN CAPS FOR MY SOFTWARE SO I JUST GET SO USE TO IT.
BLAZIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:41 PM   #18
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZIN View Post
OK FELLAS I CALLED A LOCAL SHOP THAT GAVE ME SOME IDEAS ON WHAT THEY THINK I SHOULD DO TO THE CAR IF I START TRACKING IT. I'M STILL GONNA DRIVE IT ON THE STREET AND PROB DO 3-4 TRACK DAYS A YEAR. I DEF WANT TO CHANGE CAMS AS I'VE ALWAYS WANTED A LOPING RUMBLE. THEY SAID THIS STEP 1ST THEN MOVE INTO A CAM AND NEW FUEL SYSTEM/INJECTORS.

STAINLESS POWER LONGTUBE HEADERS
COLD AIR INDUCTION COLD AIR INTAKE
AFCO HEAT EXCHANGER
UNDERHOOD SUPERCHARGER COOLANT EXPANSION TANK
MOTUL RBF 660 DOT 4 BRAKE FLUID
DYNO TUNE

THOUGHTS?
DOT 4 yes. Otherwise I would leave the car stock until you understand from experience what you need. It may take a few weekends before it starts to make sense on where the car could be tuned (suspension, tires, engine, all the above). On a track like MSRH its more about technique corner to corner. Tires and different brake pads probably next. Solid cradle bushings solve the "wobble" on fast sweepers.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #19
BLAZIN

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
DOT 4 yes. Otherwise I would leave the car stock until you understand from experience what you need. It may take a few weekends before it starts to make sense on where the car could be tuned (suspension, tires, engine, all the above). On a track like MSRH its more about technique corner to corner. Tires and different brake pads probably next. Solid cradle bushings solve the "wobble" on fast sweepers.
HOW ABOUT THE CAT'S ON THE EXHAUST? I'VE BEEN TOLD TO BE CAREFULL RUNNING CATS DOING DRACK DAYS. YOUR THOUGHTS?
BLAZIN is offline   Reply With Quote