Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-02-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
Berean

Drives: Truck
What will coilovers do for me?

Ok, here's the setup:

I use my car as a weekend driver on the curvy back roads.

I have Pfadt sport sways, end links, and strut tower brace.

I have the TPMS stem rubbing issue with my after market wheels, and this problem is likely not going to be resolved. So, that means I have to keep it at stock height for the time being.

If I get coil overs, how much additional handling improvements am I really going to get keeping it at stock height?

I'm considering Pfadt since my other suspension upgrades are Pfadt. However, I don't really want to spend $2500 and drive away with little handling improvement.

So, will coilovers be a waste of money or will they definitely make my weekend drives more fun?
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
The coil overs will still make a for a nice upgrade,we have Pedders xa's on our camaro.You will have a slightly different spring rate and be able to adjust the shock valving which will help your ride and handling.The Pedders coil overs allow you to adjust the height up 2"or down 2" from stock height.Not saying lowering the car wouldn't help the handling but you can still make a nice upgrade and still get the stance that you like for your car.What kind of wheels did you go with? I have ccw our camaro.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
It was mainly already said in the post above, you wouldn't get the benefits of a lower CG (Center of Gravity) but the improved shock valving, adjustability, and increased spring rates will definitely make the car handle better. Then when you get your brake cable problem corrected you can easily lower the car and get the lower CG benefits as well.
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
SSRSLY
Lady Racer

Drives: 2012 GT500
Going from H&R springs to KW V3's, the biggest difference we noticed was a ride quality improvement. It was MUCH nicer with the coilovers, arguably better than stock. The adjustability is a bonus: tighten it up when you want to go carve some weekend roads, loosen it up when you're just cruisin down the highway. That, and we were able to get the ride height spot on perfect.

2014 Ford F150 Tremor
2012 Shelby GT500
SSRSLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
Berean, take a ride to Raymonds and go for a ride with Bruce in his Camaro.

The coilovers are the way to go for what you want, and Bruce can show you what the subframe bushings will feel like too.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
RichJ.
Shop Owner

Drives: 1 ton silverado
You can get sensors that do not stick out in the wheels we have them in a set of Forgeline Wheels.
RichJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
Berean

Drives: Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce@Raymonds Performance View Post
The coil overs will still make a for a nice upgrade,we have Pedders xa's on our camaro.You will have a slightly different spring rate and be able to adjust the shock valving which will help your ride and handling.The Pedders coil overs allow you to adjust the height up 2"or down 2" from stock height.Not saying lowering the car wouldn't help the handling but you can still make a nice upgrade and still get the stance that you like for your car.What kind of wheels did you go with? I have ccw our camaro.

Thanks for all the replies.

Specifically, I have Foose Legend 20's. If you have a solution for internal mounted sensors, let me know. I'm about 3 hrs from you and could easily come over to let you work on my car.

Here's the thread I started specifically for a solution to my TPMS problem. I'd really like to resolve it first before I get coilovers so that I can lower the car.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97397
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berean View Post
Ok, here's the setup:

I have the TPMS stem rubbing issue with my after market wheels, and this problem is likely not going to be resolved. So, that means I have to keep it at stock height for the time being.

If I get coil overs, how much additional handling improvements am I really going to get keeping it at stock height?

I'm considering Pfadt since my other suspension upgrades are Pfadt. However, I don't really want to spend $2500 and drive away with little handling improvement.

So, will coilovers be a waste of money or will they definitely make my weekend drives more fun?

coilovers are going to be the an ultimate solution to your touring! They are going to offer a refinement, better roll control with moving the cars center of gravity, better damping allows the wheel and tire to stick or track the road better.

Here is a chart on Pfadts coilovers which may provide some insight into their specific coilover system

Coilovers will certainly be worth the investment , they will allow you to hone in your camaro to a whole new level!

Let me know if you have any more questions

Regards
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Ok, here's the setup:

Lowering the car with coilovers is only one aspect of many. If you need to keep it at stock height, there are plenty of other benefits of coilovers as others have mentioned above. The biggest deal will be the ride refinement. Making the move to coilovers does not mean you need to be a race car driver as a result. Add to that the adjustability of damping curves, spring rate choice (with Pfadt units), more consistent and smooth shock performance (with Pfadt floating piston units), and more stable turn in and transient handling characteristics (with Pfadt inverted units), and you have plenty of performance benefits. It will be night and day.

The great thing about it, is you know all of the performance is there no matter what. These coilovers take victories on the track, so you know they are the real deal!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #10
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPS Brandon View Post
coilovers are going to be the an ultimate solution to your touring! They are going to offer a refinement, better roll control with moving the cars center of gravity, better damping allows the wheel and tire to stick or track the road better.

Here is a chart on Pfadts coilovers which may provide some insight into their specific coilover system

Coilovers will certainly be worth the investment , they will allow you to hone in your camaro to a whole new level!

Let me know if you have any more questions

Regards
Thanks Brandon!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.

Specifically, I have Foose Legend 20's. If you have a solution for internal mounted sensors, let me know. I'm about 3 hrs from you and could easily come over to let you work on my car.

Here's the thread I started specifically for a solution to my TPMS problem. I'd really like to resolve it first before I get coilovers so that I can lower the car.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97397
Bruce Raymond is a racer on weekends and a suspension, alignment wheel professional during the week. Bruce will be able to resolve your TPMS sensor issue when you travel to his shop and give you a demo in his Pedderised Camaro. While I am very confident you would be satisfied with our Xa coilovers, it is always best to test ride or drive the suspension modifications you are considering. With a bit of planning between you and Bruce you will be able to do them all in one visit.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote