Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Wreckless driving? Me?? No way!

I just have to vent about the terrible way I had to start my day. I had just gotten out of the shower, wet hair & a short robe on. There was suddenly a loud knock on the door. My husband & son were not up yet so I went to the bedroom window & peeked out. It was a law enforcement officer. I opened the door a crack & spoke to him. He identified himself as an officer from the local sherrif's dept & said he was looking for the driver of "that red Camaro over there" I said "that would be me". He went on to explain that an older gentelman had called & wanted to swear out a warrant for wreckless driving on me! He claimed I had passed him in a no passing zone in a wreckless manner. Had made a drawing & the officer showed it to me. He asked my side & I told him the guy was going very slow (well under 45 in a 55) and that I was in a passing zone with plenty of room but the guy sped up. I still made it easily in front of him just as the passing zone was ending. He said he would talk to the guy & try to talk him out of it. Half of a day of stress later & I learned the guy is not going to do it. Gee, I could have lost my job, car, house everything because some guy was mad I passed him, safely. That stinks. I learned anyone can claim anything & you end up in court. They have to proove you did it but still!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
I just have to vent about the terrible way I had to start my day. I had just gotten out of the shower, wet hair & a short robe on. There was suddenly a loud knock on the door. My husband & son were not up yet so I went to the bedroom window & peeked out. It was a law enforcement officer. I opened the door a crack & spoke to him. He identified himself as an officer from the local sherrif's dept & said he was looking for the driver of "that red Camaro over there" I said "that would be me". He went on to explain that an older gentelman had called & wanted to swear out a warrant for wreckless driving on me! He claimed I had passed him in a no passing zone in a wreckless manner. Had made a drawing & the officer showed it to me. He asked my side & I told him the guy was going very slow (well under 45 in a 55) and that I was in a passing zone with plenty of room but the guy sped up. I still made it easily in front of him just as the passing zone was ending. He said he would talk to the guy & try to talk him out of it. Half of a day of stress later & I learned the guy is not going to do it. Gee, I could have lost my job, car, house everything because some guy was mad I passed him, safely. That stinks. I learned anyone can claim anything & you end up in court. They have to proove you did it but still!
I would be hunting that guy down and making him pay. What an A-hole.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Drives: The one with a roof rack
man people just suck!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
Forcer

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
as much bull**** as that is, unless he gots a video, or a streetlight recording of you actually doing it, its your word against another civilian's.

I booked past a row of cars merging into their lane while going the speed limit because they were stopped and i was not. obviously i pissed off the woman and her family in the car behind me, she caught up to take a picture of my license plate, i was like what are you trying to do lady?

I was going the speed limit, used my blinker where a lane was ending and merged into your lane. i think its just cause these cars sound more aggressive as well as look it, you shouldnt have anything to worry about except waisting your time.
Forcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
sangerbanger58

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT/RS
That bs does he have it on video or a waitness and 2 if he was going 45 n a 55 then he should be the 1 who gets fined I hate it when ppl do that
sangerbanger58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
In talking with some highway patrol officers here in Montana that I know, they have to get credible witnesses, at least three of called in reckless driving before they will act on it. UNLESS, the complaint is drunk driving. Now I am not sure of this is Law but its what they said they go by.

They have said its amazing how many pissed off EX's see their old flame out with another person and call them in just to get them picked up and ruin their day (or night).

Its crap but at least up here, the cops have some common sense, well some of them!!!

Sorry to hear about your stress, I believe you get what you deserve in life, he will get his comins, one way or another!!! Probably get rear ended by a cement truck going 35 on the freeway!!!

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
In NC, if you call in they get an officer to follow that vehicle as any kind of vehicular violation can not be ticketed without an actual officer witnessing the event.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
In NC, if you call in they get an officer to follow that vehicle as any kind of vehicular violation can not be ticketed without an actual officer witnessing the event.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Same in FL...an officer must witness a civil moving violation...witness testimony can be heard in a jury trial, but a citation cannot be issued...

My guess is the officer was NOT trying to be a jerk to you, but only trying to keep a positive rapport with the community and do his part to investigate a complaint...that is all. Don't read to much into it...no one is taking your car from something some A-hole witness who is not credible and was the ONLY person to complain.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
spoone123
Next is SS camaro.....

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, Rally yellow
Quote:
Well he have no prove that you did it tho, did the old guy even have your license plate?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #11
Dion_1969

Drives: ABM 2SS/RS LS3
Send a message via Yahoo to Dion_1969
Quote:
Gee, I could have lost my job, car, house everything because some guy was mad I passed him, safely. That stinks. I learned anyone can claim anything & you end up in court. They have to proove you did it but still!
Um are we being a bit dramatic here? You may have lost some cash for fines if he had video and it showed he was right vs you but your job, car, house? You would have had to run down somebody or run him off the road and killed him.

I understand the frustration you had though. I live in a tourist area and get caught behind people doing 15 in a 30 as they look at the scenery and it is all no passing.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
sounds like a miserable old driver
Old 09-29-2010, 10:17 PM   #13
KARR48

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Imperial Blue
He's probably just jealous, what kind of car was he driving? Probably worked all his life and can't reach the pinnacle of automotive ownership you have. Or he's a Mustang fan. Either way he's a LOSER!
KARR48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #14
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion_1969 View Post
Um are we being a bit dramatic here? You may have lost some cash for fines if he had video and it showed he was right vs you but your job, car, house? You would have had to run down somebody or run him off the road and killed him.

I understand the frustration you had though. I live in a tourist area and get caught behind people doing 15 in a 30 as they look at the scenery and it is all no passing.
No, I literally would have lost my job. I have to have an "F" endorcement lisence because though we rarely do, we may have to transport clients. We are only allowed so many points on our lisence then we are fired. I am only 9 years from retirement. Most folks in my field now are lisenced; but I would have to get another master's degree to be lisenced. I have 25 years invested in this career. Could never get a job making nearly as much $ if I lost this job plus at my age? Could not make my car or house payments. This scared the life out of me!!!

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 09-29-2010 at 10:30 PM.
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote