Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 11-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
DIY: Make your own cradle bushing inserts.

I am not taking credit for this DIY mod, but I did help tkrupinski with this project, so we are posting this DIY as a joint venture.

Make your own street version cradle bushings.

This mod is for someone that needs a cheap alternative to street bushings.

1 Purchase a large tube of self leveling two part seam sealer. Any brand will work fine but I do know that the 3m in the picture below gets very hard and sets up in about 10min.

You also need the proper gun and tips to dispense the dual tube material.

2 remove or lower suspension cradle to access the top of the cradle bushings. (If you don't know how, then you'll need to find another DIY to show you how to do this.)

3 Remove dirt and debris from bushing air pockets with compressed air.

4 Apply self leveling seam sealer into the bushing filling the air pockets completely.

5 Wipe off all excess sealer before it starts to harden.

Front bushing:

Rear bushing:

6 After sealer starts to harden wipe mounting surface with some sort of paint thinner to avoid potential squeaks due to body rub.

7 Let dry one hour then reinstall suspension cradle.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
That right there is smart, That is Camaro Fabrications at its best.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Madness11
086YN

Drives: Black 2SS/RS Demon of Madness
What is the point?

I am missing something.
Madness11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Creative as I have come to expect from D_E.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness11 View Post
What is the point?

I am missing something.
This mod saves you about $250.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
looks good, wounder if it has the same effect.. also since its a lot of work to drop the cradle woundnt be best to just change out the bushings..
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Madness11
086YN

Drives: Black 2SS/RS Demon of Madness
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
But what does it do. A solid cradle bushing.
Madness11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness11 View Post
What is the point?

I am missing something.
This is from the Pfadt website about using their solid subframe bushings:
With the Pfadt Camaro Solid Subframe bushings you can completely eliminate subframe movement. By solidly mounting the rear subframe you will find that the car feels more precise and reacts to your steering inputs more quickly. Drag racers will find that their launches will be more controlled and wheel hop will be drastically reduced if not eliminated. When launching the car before we found that the subframe would violently oscillate and cause a drastic reduction in traction. Now with the solid subframe mounts the launch is substantially smoother and more controlled. Auto-crossers and road-racers will find that the rear end is more controlled and the car is far more stable and predictable. After the installation of the solid subframe mounts the chassis and subframe are no longer acting as separate structures so the rigidity and strength of the rear subframe and chassis is also improved.

This mod should provide similar results for a lot less money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
The solid subframe bushings I put in my car cost about $700. This costs less than $50. The street kit inserts from some shops cost about $200. So, yeah, it saves some money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINE1991 View Post
looks good, wounder if it has the same effect.. also since its a lot of work to drop the cradle woundnt be best to just change out the bushings..
I'm pretty sure you have to drop the cradle to change out the bushings.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #9
Squintz Palladoris

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
Nice DIY DE!

Just want to point out that the title should be DIY Rear cradle bushing INSERTS as this will not perform the same as a solid bushing or a polyurethane replacement. If the seam sealer hardens to roughly the same durometer as the bushing inserts that are on the market, then the same performance could be expected.

Oh and BTW dropping the cradle is not that big of a deal. Its easier than removing a solid rear axle. Changing out the entire bushing can be a major pain in the butt, depending on how well the OEM bushings are seated in the cradle.
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squintz Palladoris View Post
Nice DIY DE!

Just want to point out that the title should be DIY Rear cradle bushing INSERTS as this will not perform the same as a solid bushing or a polyurethane replacement. If the seam sealer hardens to roughly the same durometer as the bushing inserts that are on the market, then the same performance could be expected.

Oh and BTW dropping the cradle is not that big of a deal. Its easier than removing a solid rear axle. Changing out the entire bushing can be a major pain in the butt, depending on how well the OEM bushings are seated in the cradle.
Thanks. But this was tkrupinski's idea.

We think that this method is even better than the cradle bushing inserts some vendors sell because it completely fills the bushings without there being any seams to make for extra play in the bushings.

I've asked a mod to modify the title to make it more accurate.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #12
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
It is a good budget mod, but does not come close to the stability a quality sub-frame bush insert will offer. The control surfaces that contact the monocoque are unchanged. The underside of the bushes are not filled. That said it is a step up from the OE deeply NVH voided sub-frame bushes coming close to the new improved OE rubber sub-frame bushes that began coming down the assembly line with the Vert.

I say cool mod and very creative!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:25 AM   #13
tkrupinski
Hugger Orange

Drives: 2010 Hugger Orange 2SS/ RS YSI/4l80
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
It is a good budget mod, but does not come close to the stability a quality sub-frame bush insert will offer. The control surfaces that contact the monocoque are unchanged. The underside of the bushes are not filled. That said it is a step up from the OE deeply NVH voided sub-frame bushes coming close to the new improved OE rubber sub-frame bushes that began coming down the assembly line with the Vert.

I say cool mod and very creative!
This is an alternative to the "STREET BUSHING" which consists of poly spacers that are inserted into the original cradle bushing"NOT A REPLACEMT FOR SOLID BUSHINGS". The mod is to save someone money, time and the hassle of changing bushing if not really needed.
tkrupinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #14
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I'm pretty sure you have to drop the cradle to change out the bushings.
No just lower it same as inserts; that's how I did my full replacements.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote