Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-05-2018, 12:20 AM   #15
wsmith

Drives: 2011 LS
Do long tubes delete the stock resonators on the V6? I would like headers but don’t want to delete the resonators. Is it possible to get resonated high flow cats and mate them to long tubes? And if not, can Doug Thorley headers be attached to the Solo Performance cats?
Old 05-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #16
Linker239

Drives: 2022 WC 2SS
I should be attaching solo high flow cats to my Doug thorley shorties soon if everything goes according to plan. There is some fab work required as the solos connect to the stock manifolds.
2010 VR 1LT RS; Sold
Linker239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #17
wsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linker239 View Post
I should be attaching solo high flow cats to my Doug thorley shorties soon if everything goes according to plan. There is some fab work required as the solos connect to the stock manifolds.
Let me know how it works out and about how much the installation costs because I really like the sound of the Doug Thorleys and am strongly considering this set up.

Last edited by wsmith; 05-11-2018 at 12:41 PM.
wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #18
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
It can be done. I attached mine to JBA shorts-
Attached Images

Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #19
Ventmaster

And the car LOVED it! Never ran or sounded better!
Old 05-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #20
wsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
It can be done. I attached mine to JBA shorts-
Was welding necessary? Did you have it done at a shop and did you have a tune?
Old 05-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #21
Ventmaster

I have a neighbor who is handy with a welder. He installed the "flat flange" on the header end of the cat. JBA likes to do it that way, but I think you are better off with Thorley's method of just welding the cat to the header (leaks can be a PIA at that flat flange interface).

With the long resonator Solo includes with their V6 high flow cat, I found it very easy to cut the stock mid-pipe back (the Solo cat and resonator are a bit longer than the stock) and when you've got the length right, just use the OE sleeve clamp (doesn't have to be perfect- those clamps are great!)

Because of the angle of the Solo design, for everything to line up, you will lose a little ground clearance (1" max). I trimmed a couple inches off the end of the Solo resonator and about the same for the stock midpipe. I never had any issues with touching down on anything going up driveways, etc.. I think the placement just behind the front tires raises everything up, increasing your clearance right when you need it.

Also never had a CEL (Solo provides O2 sensor extensions that work- period) and never required any tune- the car ran like a scalded dog! Those ECM are able to adapt to significant airflow increases.

So thanks to my neighbor, this was a DIY project that worked like a charm. Combined with Borla's Touring axle back mufflers (#11776 I believe) it sounded great too IMHO.

Any other questions, just ask or drop me PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:16 PM   #22
Linker239

Drives: 2022 WC 2SS
So here's an update. I got the solo hfcs installed. It ran me about $200 and they kept the stock cats. But they blew out my number 7 fuse in the process. Well that took out my cam timing Ecu but the car sounded like an absolute monster during that period. I got it fixed but it tamed the exhaust back down. Overall It really just made the car a bit deeper and a bit louder. The car does seem to pull better though. They had to cut enough off of the neck of the solos that I actually didn't loose any ground clearance. And I have no check engine lights, so that's a big plus.
2010 VR 1LT RS; Sold
Linker239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #23
Ventmaster

Quote:
So here's an update. I got the solo hfcs installed. It ran me about $200 and they kept the stock cats. But they blew out my number 7 fuse in the process. Well that took out my cam timing Ecu but the car sounded like an absolute monster during that period. I got it fixed but it tamed the exhaust back down. Overall It really just made the car a bit deeper and a bit louder. The car does seem to pull better though. They had to cut enough off of the neck of the solos that I actually didn't loose any ground clearance. And I have no check engine lights, so that's a big plus.
Good work! You are in the mod "zone". there's no stopping now, LOL.

It happened to me too- ended up spending alot of $ on that LLT and it ran like it!

Someone ended up picking up a highly modified 2010 V6 for a song buying it used from a car dealer in St. George, UT (blue with white stripes). It's a long story, but I'd love to know who got it...!