Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
The truth behind the "clutch problem"

Want to know the problem with the manual camaro's "sticking" clutch problem? The answer is easy:

There is none!

This same exact problem has been going on since 1997. The problem is simple. The hydraulics in the clutch just plain sucks. This problem is NOT new. It has been going on since the beginning of the ls1, and still plagues the GM community today. You can try fixing it by installing larger master cylinders/different slaves/shimming the slaves/religiously changing the fluid, I even saw one guy wrap every hydraulic line to help insulate it from heat soak.

You can try any of the following. It's hit/miss. The problem isn't new. Now quit making threads/complaining about it. If you didn't know about the issue, you obviously didn't do your homework on the vehicle that you bought.

/rant

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
so whats the problem?
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
so whats the problem?
Over 14k miles on my M6 and no problems yet. I think people buy a hot new car and dont do any research on anything that is going into the car and when it messes up, everybody thinks the sky is falling. A few people on a forum out of hundreds of thousands of owners have an issue and next thing you know, PANIC!
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
05gofast

Drives: Something Fast
Keeping fluid changed seems to help. Here's a video that explains it pretty well.

05gofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
Al Robinson
RACKM

Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
I had a '95 Trans Am with the manual trans. Never had a problem with the clutch or grinding or the pedal sticking half way down and I powershifted many times. The clutch had 85,000 miles on it when I sold it. I do not know if the current trans in the 5th gen Camaro are the same. I have a hard time believing that this is an old issue, with as many problems as some are experiencing. These six speeds seem to have problems across the board regardless of which vehicle they're in. Something just doesn't sound right to me having problems with Transmissions, clutches and axels. Just maybe putting somewhat inferior parts are cost cutting measures. We may not have had the horsepower in the 60's that are in these cars, but they were heavier and had more mass to move with nowhere near the problems. Snapping and twisting drive shaft, yes, but not like this.
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
SSRSLY
Lady Racer

Drives: 2012 GT500
That's why I liked the cable clutch in my Mustang. No fluid to boil if you slip the clutch too much

I think there are so many issues with this car because there are so many people new to sports cars and new to manuals in general, and of course it can NEVER be driver error, they're all expert racecar drivers!

2014 Ford F150 Tremor
2012 Shelby GT500
SSRSLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
usmc8411
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Robinson View Post
I had a '95 Trans Am with the manual trans. Never had a problem with the clutch or grinding or the pedal sticking half way down and I powershifted many times. The clutch had 85,000 miles on it when I sold it. I do not know if the current trans in the 5th gen Camaro are the same. I have a hard time believing that this is an old issue, with as many problems as some are experiencing. These six speeds seem to have problems across the board regardless of which vehicle they're in. Something just doesn't sound right to me having problems with Transmissions, clutches and axels. Just maybe putting somewhat inferior parts are cost cutting measures. We may not have had the horsepower in the 60's that are in these cars, but they were heavier and had more mass to move with nowhere near the problems. Snapping and twisting drive shaft, yes, but not like this.

The 93-97 fbodies had different slave cylinders that didnt go all the way to the throwout bearing. They were traditional fork style.

Id bet most of the people not experiencing this problem are still running mostly stock. I noticed it big time on my 98 when I installed headers.

Anyways, its a good indicator of all the newb, johnny come lately camaro owners this gen....lol. Just like ones that think a cai is going to give you 40hp ect ect.

But, I agree enough with the sticking clutch threads already.
usmc8411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
Mungo

Drives: trans am
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc8411 View Post
The 93-97 fbodies had different slave cylinders that didnt go all the way to the throwout bearing. They were traditional fork style.

Id bet most of the people not experiencing this problem are still running mostly stock. I noticed it big time on my 98 when I installed headers.

Anyways, its a good indicator of all the newb, johnny come lately camaro owners this gen....lol. Just like ones that think a cai is going to give you 40hp ect ect.

But, I agree enough with the sticking clutch threads already.
Now that you mention it I do remember the fork. Maybe simpler is better?
Thanks for the reminder!
Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
KISS

Keep It Simple Stupid

why do you think cheap single plane intakes still outperform 1000+ dollar fast intakes??

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Mine hasn't returned since the clutch replacement

I also change the fluid regularly - just did it last week after a track day.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
chopss

Drives: 04 sentra, 2ss
Yes I never drove a pony car or muscle car but I drove a lot of manuals my life and to keep changing the hydraulic fluids and worrying about boiling the fluids is not acceptable. This is my 1st brand new car and I got to work on it like its a used car. When all the BMW n alfas I drove never had that problem. Alfas for godsake. They all blow up on you but they never gave me this clutch problem.
chopss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #12
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
I have 60 or so passes on my Pumpkin and I tend to slide the clutch a bit. I have smelled the clutch was hot on more the a few occasions. I have never experienced the clutch pedal issues the other people complain about. Which suprises me as I know I have heated it up on numerous ocassions.

Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
3min3m2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SIM L-99
I do think there was a design "miscalculation". I think should have used a more driver friendly set up in a way. I'm sure a good percentage is driver error, but everyone who has driven my car comments on the akwardness of the clutch.

Just seems like there has to be a better way to do it. Not necessarily a recall, just do it better next time.

Borla S type, Volant CAI.
3min3m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #14
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
90% of the time the problem is the clutch,not the hydrolics. When a stock clutch slips it gets hot and expands while putting alot of heat into the hydrolics which breaks down the hydrolic fluid.

I never have hydrolic problems in my cars but I run good clutches. My Firehawk had 120+ track passes with the stock hydrolics/clutch fluid with no sticking peddle.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote