Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
Ok i'am confused now? So dlr's are daytime driving lights,why are they located in the area where fog lights go? If I change the bulb to a Hid bulb,then I just have daytime runnin lights with a cool blue glow. I thought the halo's acted as daytime running lights?
If you have an RS, you DON'T have fog lights. They are considered DRLs and not fog lights, because you can't turn them on at will (like when there is fog lol).

Yes, if you change your bulb you would have DRLs with a cool blue.

Nope, halos don't act as DRLs

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
Kdogg

Drives: Hyundai genesis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
You have lights, they are the same as fog lights on a non-RS model, but there is a difference in WHEN and HOW they are turned on.

Note: DRLs = Daytime Running Lights; basically the lights that are just always on during the day.

So for a

Non-RS: Headlights are the DRLs, driver can push a button to turn on fogs at any time

RS: Fogs act as DRLs. At night, when the computer turns on the headlights, your fogs will turn off and no longer be able to be turned on no matter what.

As nyrfan said above, a simple harness can change that and allow you turn on your fogs whenever you want if you are in a RS model
Definitely gonna need that harness! Lol thanks!
Kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #17
Moorepheus

Drives: 2013 Dodge Charge R/T Plus AWD
DRLs do not need to be the head lights. If I recall, my 99 Trans Am, used the Amber front turn signal lights as their DRLs. I also, believe the Corvette did it that way too (I could be wrong). There are other cars that used the Amber Turn Signal lights as DRLs. So, for Camaros w/ the RS package, which includes the HID lights, Chevrolet uses what was the FOG LAMPS on the NON-RS Camaros as DRL. I also believe they are a different watt bulb in them, but not sure. Like others that stated before, with HID lights, you really don't need the Fog Lamps and they are mostly for show if they are on.
Moorepheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #18
Kdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorepheus View Post
DRLs do not need to be the head lights. If I recall, my 99 Trans Am, used the Amber front turn signal lights as their DRLs. I also, believe the Corvette did it that way too (I could be wrong). There are other cars that used the Amber Turn Signal lights as DRLs. So, for Camaros w/ the RS package, which includes the HID lights, Chevrolet uses what was the FOG LAMPS on the NON-RS Camaros as DRL. I also believe they are a different watt bulb in them, but not sure. Like others that stated before, with HID lights, you really don't need the Fog Lamps and they are mostly for show if they are on.
Yep,for me it would be for show. My current car has Hid's but the standard (yellowish) fog lights. So changed them out for Hid bulbs.totally changed the look and that's why I will be getting that harness and changing out them bulbs! Lol
Old 08-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #19
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Kdogg...from what I researched, I believe HID bulbs for the DRLs (or fogs depending on the model) run really hot and is problematic. Many forum members simply went with plasma bulbs as replacements. They look better than the stock bulbs but be careful...some have a strong blue hue, so do your research. I have the RS package and with my HID headlights on, i do not see an improvement with vision, however, i just like them on for looks and they are a vast improvement from the OEM yellow bulbs. Good luck.
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #20
Wabbit

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS SIM/Grey lnt/Sun/Nav
OK, I learned something today.

I need to look a the Camaro information more deeply. I don't remember anywhere where it stated that you lose the fog lamps with the RS package. Not a big deal for me since I haven't had them the last 6 years anyway.

Thanks for all of the clarification.
Ambient Lighting - Saving my $$$ now
Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #21
Kdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikenn View Post
Kdogg...from what I researched, I believe HID bulbs for the DRLs (or fogs depending on the model) run really hot and is problematic. Many forum members simply went with plasma bulbs as replacements. They look better than the stock bulbs but be careful...some have a strong blue hue, so do your research. I have the RS package and with my HID headlights on, i do not see an improvement with vision, however, i just like them on for looks and they are a vast improvement from the OEM yellow bulbs. Good luck.
Agreed, they have some cool Led Hid bulbs that not only look cool,but also run at a cooler temp and yes I will check the kelvin for correct color. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #22
Kdogg

Also will be lookin into some Led secuencial tail lights/ turn signals.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #23
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbit View Post
OK, I learned something today.

I need to look a the Camaro information more deeply. I don't remember anywhere where it stated that you lose the fog lamps with the RS package. Not a big deal for me since I haven't had them the last 6 years anyway.

Thanks for all of the clarification.
It doesn't really say that anywhere. You just have to learn from the forums

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #24
Wabbit

They sure buried this information.
2012 owners manual section 6-5
For vehicles with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) replace the fog lamps.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #25
Calikenn

Exactly what ihaveacamaro said! When I found out from this forum, I went back to the dealership so they can show that the forum members were wrong (i had just ordered my car) but that day I learned something new, along with 4 salesmen, and the service manager!! They had no clue that the DRLs on the RS package did not turn on at night!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #26
Wabbit

Quote:
Exactly what ihaveacamaro said! When I found out from this forum, I went back to the dealership so they can show that the forum members were wrong (i had just ordered my car) but that day I learned something new, along with 4 salesmen, and the service manager!! They had no clue that the DRLs on the RS package did not turn on at night!
I just hadn't seen this information listed anywhere. If it is, it's in fine print that I didn't notice somewhere. Oh well, I still wanted the HID lights, and I'll still get the HID lights. It's all good.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #27
Calikenn

@wabbit...looks like you've got a pretty nice car coming based on your info, so enjoy the hell out of it and congratulations!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #28
Wabbit

Quote:
@wabbit...looks like you've got a pretty nice car coming based on your info, so enjoy the hell out of it and congratulations!
Thanks, I plan on it :-)

I ordered on 6/14, TPW is 8/20. I'm getting antsy right now. I want to have some fun before the winter rains kick in here.