Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 02-11-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Suggestion on track tire (305x19)

About to get some 19 wheels for a square set up to run 305's.

I'm looking for suggestions on what tire to use. Due to some of the HPD events I will be running in, the tires need to be DOT approved with at least 120 tread wear rating.

Up until now I've been running Pilot Super Sports on the OEM ZL1 wheels. They're good tires, especially compared to the Eagle F1's. However as my skill level has increased I've started to really push the car and over heat the Super Sports causing them to wash out in the corners. I could dial it back I suppose, but I'd like a tire that will allow me to push it further.

Suggestions?
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
G:2s were much better than Michelin PSS for me at the track. They have a much higher tolerance against overheating. They are 220 treadwear, so they're well within your limits. I don't think they have the right size for this application, though.

Bridgestone RE-11 should fare better than G:2s (though have not tried it on a 1LE), but they have a newer better compound sold as RE-11A, which is not available in that size. I think there are better options, at least until RE-11A is released in our size.

Hankook RS-3 is a pretty good tire, and I did a little better time than I did with G:2s. They are also very affordable, so for the price, they are very hard to beat. They were pretty resistant to overheating, and were fairly consistent throughout the session at the track. Again much much better than PSS. I use these as my street tires at the moment.

Once my RS-3s are done, I intend to try Yokohama Advan AD08Rs. They seem to provide a bit better lap times as far as what I've read. They are not discounted like the RS-3s at the moment, though.

Finally, the best tire you can get in terms of traction with 120+ treadwear in my opinion is actually Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. They are pricey, but they are close to Trofeo Rs in stickiness even though they are at 180 threadwear. I've recently bought a set, and will try them at the track, hopefully in April.

Bottomline: RS-3 or AD08R for lower budget, MPSC 2 if you can pony up within 120+ treadwear constraint.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
MTCobra

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
About to get some 19 wheels for a square set up to run 305's.

I'm looking for suggestions on what tire to use. Due to some of the HPD events I will be running in, the tires need to be DOT approved with at least 120 tread wear rating.

Up until now I've been running Pilot Super Sports on the OEM ZL1 wheels. They're good tires, especially compared to the Eagle F1's. However as my skill level has increased I've started to really push the car and over heat the Super Sports causing them to wash out in the corners. I could dial it back I suppose, but I'd like a tire that will allow me to push it further.

Suggestions?

What 19" wheels are you going with?

2014 ZL1
MTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
tomster
RedLine

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
G:2s were much better than Michelin PSS for me at the track. They have a much higher tolerance against overheating. They are 220 treadwear, so they're well within your limits. I don't think they have the right size for this application, though.

Bridgestone RE-11 should fare better than G:2s (though have not tried it on a 1LE), but they have a newer better compound sold as RE-11A, which is not available in that size. I think there are better options, at least until RE-11A is released in our size.

Hankook RS-3 is a pretty good tire, and I did a little better time than I did with G:2s. They are also very affordable, so for the price, they are very hard to beat. They were pretty resistant to overheating, and were fairly consistent throughout the session at the track. Again much much better than PSS. I use these as my street tires at the moment.

Once my RS-3s are done, I intend to try Yokohama Advan AD08Rs. They seem to provide a bit better lap times as far as what I've read. They are not discounted like the RS-3s at the moment, though.

Finally, the best tire you can get in terms of traction with 120+ treadwear in my opinion is actually Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. They are pricey, but they are close to Trofeo Rs in stickiness even though they are at 180 threadwear. I've recently bought a set, and will try them at the track, hopefully in April.

Bottomline: RS-3 or AD08R for lower budget, MPSC 2 if you can pony up within 120+ treadwear constraint.
I'm bayous as I work for Bridgestone but I like the performance of re11's, also the compound update that was put in to re11A'a was also put in to the re11's in the 305 size. and also the 325 size they just didn't get the A designation because there was no first generation re11 in ether size
2022 GMC 2500 "Blue"
2022 ZL1 1LE 6spd "Rapid Blue"
2023 ZL1 1LE Auto Rapid Blue (ordered)
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #5
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomster View Post
I'm bayous as I work for Bridgestone but I like the performance of re11's, also the compound update that was put in to re11A'a was also put in to the re11's in the 305 size. and also the 325 size they just didn't get the A designation because there was no first generation re11 in ether size
Good to know!
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 02-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #6
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Speaking to a few other people I am going to try the Hankook RS-3's. Like you said, for the price it is hard to beat. I will see how they perform, I've got larger events later in the year so I've got some time to test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCobra View Post
What 19" wheels are you going with?

2014 ZL1
TSW Nurburgring, if I could afford Forgeline's I would but that just isn't in the budget. The TSW's are 24.5 lbs per wheel and the OEM ZL1 wheels are 29 lbs front and 30 lbs rear, so it is still going to be an improvement for me. The TSW's are rotary forged and have a 1,650 lb load rating, so they should work great for what I want them to do.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
I love my re-11s they seem to grip really wheel. They are from what I remember .250 of a second slower than the mpsc2.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #8
X25

Quote:
Speaking to a few other people I am going to try the Hankook RS-3's. Like you said, for the price it is hard to beat. I will see how they perform, I've got larger events later in the year so I've got some time to test.

TSW Nurburgring, if I could afford Forgeline's I would but that just isn't in the budget. The TSW's are 24.5 lbs per wheel and the OEM ZL1 wheels are 29 lbs front and 30 lbs rear, so it is still going to be an improvement for me. The TSW's are rotary forged and have a 1,650 lb load rating, so they should work great for what I want them to do.
I've heard of discrepancies in TSW's posted weights v.s. the actual weights, so you might want to weigh them yourself when you get them. I've heard they are more like 26 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodside783 View Post
I love my re-11s they seem to grip really wheel. They are from what I remember .250 of a second slower than the mpsc2.
That's too small of a difference (if it's a usual 2+ mile track). If it is true, it'd mean MPSC 2s are far from R-compounds in performance.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 02-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Time to go back and try GY again... Hotter they get the better.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #10
Quicksilver 1LE

Drives: 14 1000HP SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Guess mine were not hot enough when I slid off the track at turn one but it was fuuunnnn!!
Quicksilver 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:54 AM   #11
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Just bought the Hankook's and should have them for the next track event. We'll see how they work.

Quote:
I've heard of discrepancies in TSW's posted weights v.s. the actual weights, so you might want to weigh them yourself when you get them. I've heard they are more like 26 lbs.
Once they come in I'll weigh them on our scale at work (super accurate).

Even if they're 26 lbs it is still less than OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
To a certain point yes, but the GY over heat much quicker than the Pilot Super Sports. The biggest issue I had on track was when I was running GY's up front..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver 1LE View Post
Guess mine were not hot enough when I slid off the track at turn one but it was fuuunnnn!!
I don't know if you realize how close you were to the fence. I have a picture I snapped that is on my home computer, I'll have to send it to you. Picture will make your butt hole pucker
Old 02-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #12
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:

WELL.. I DID have the RS-3's on order but they're on a back order with Hankook for 4-6 weeks and my next track event is March 15. I just ordered the Yokohama Advan AD08R's and will be here on Tuesday.

I'll report back in March on how the performed.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #13
X25

Quote:
WELL.. I DID have the RS-3's on order but they're on a back order with Hankook for 4-6 weeks and my next track event is March 15. I just ordered the Yokohama Advan AD08R's and will be here on Tuesday.

I'll report back in March on how the performed.
Cool, I'm yet to hear any feedback for AD08Rs on a Camaro. Let's see how they perform.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 02-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #14
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Well Tire Rack sure is fast!