Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
dentnshell

Drives: Black 2014 2SS
Next mod / setup advice (suspension)

Recently added an ADM LSA conversion to my GPI SS1 cammed 2014

Car has a BMR 1" drop - Rear tires are 305/35/20 Pirelli P Zero's on 10" wheels. The amount of torque on hand is "impressive"
The car is fun to drive but, but you have to drive it! With just the cam. It was a brainless act. With the LSA you had better not hammer down. The car breaks loose way to easy and on shifts seems to have a rear sideways jump.

I am looking at BMR Toe Rods... Trailing arms... and Cradle bushings.
I feel like alot of the problem is I also need the Posi mod... ( I keep bouncing back and forth between the mod, and a ZL1 rear end. I keep thinking the money I spend on the mod could partially offset a used ZL1 Cradle

The car is my wife's daily driver... will likely never see the track or strip.
Also shopping for my next set of tires... I need an all season (Oklahoma) that has a little stick - Besides if the tires grab too much I will need new axles.

Currently the car is alligned at factory spec. I know an alignment will help things alot... but my tire wear is perfect now.

Opinions???
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
dentnshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:17 PM   #2
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
What are doing for Lower Control Arms? As you lower the vehicle, the Camber gets out of whack. Our TCA028's are a different length to correct the Camber. When you do this you will also need Adjustable Toe Rods. Cradle Bushings, I would do our Pro Version Full Polys.

On another note, since this is your wife's car and it seems pretty stout, driver training for her and yourself would make a great Christmas Gift!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #3
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentnshell View Post
Recently added an ADM LSA conversion to my GPI SS1 cammed 2014

Car has a BMR 1" drop - Rear tires are 305/35/20 Pirelli P Zero's on 10" wheels. The amount of torque on hand is "impressive"
The car is fun to drive but, but you have to drive it! With just the cam. It was a brainless act. With the LSA you had better not hammer down. The car breaks loose way to easy and on shifts seems to have a rear sideways jump.

I am looking at BMR Toe Rods... Trailing arms... and Cradle bushings.
I feel like alot of the problem is I also need the Posi mod... ( I keep bouncing back and forth between the mod, and a ZL1 rear end. I keep thinking the money I spend on the mod could partially offset a used ZL1 Cradle

The car is my wife's daily driver... will likely never see the track or strip.
Also shopping for my next set of tires... I need an all season (Oklahoma) that has a little stick - Besides if the tires grab too much I will need new axles.

Currently the car is alligned at factory spec. I know an alignment will help things alot... but my tire wear is perfect now.

Opinions???
Um, I'll have a posi-mod unit for sale here shortly ;o) Done by GPI, I'm going trueTrac so I can run NCM...

Now that the hijack is over ;o), agree with alignment but, trailing arms/bushings, toe rods would be a big help first. Cradle bushings would be next -- I personally like the solids -- I did have the BMR, but felt it moved too much. Upper Control arm bushings would be after that...

I've done them all -- and now found I needed to do the diff bushings after racing at NCM.

Sometimes, its best to save up and do these all at 'once' then, get the alignment.

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
dentnshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
What are doing for Lower Control Arms? As you lower the vehicle, the Camber gets out of whack. Our TCA028's are a different length to correct the Camber. When you do this you will also need Adjustable Toe Rods. Cradle Bushings, I would do our Pro Version Full Polys.

On another note, since this is your wife's car and it seems pretty stout, driver training for her and yourself would make a great Christmas Gift!
Have you been talking to my wife??? She wants to take a training course at Hallet (about 50 minutes from us.) I keep putting it off. She has grown into the car we did the cam first... then FI...

Exactly the information I was wanting... Adjustable or Not. I know the 1" drop makes it borderline on needing the adjustable links.
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
Old 10-20-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
BMR Sales

Quote:
Have you been talking to my wife??? She wants to take a training course at Hallet (about 50 minutes from us.) I keep putting it off. She has grown into the car we did the cam first... then FI...

Exactly the information I was wanting... Adjustable or Not. I know the 1" drop makes it borderline on needing the adjustable links.
lol. I've been a Racing/Driving Instructor for over 25 Years and I believe in people having the skills to be able to handle situations in their road cars. I know my Training has saved my bacon a few times. 1st thing I did when my son was of driving age, I sent him to two driving schools (Audi & BMW) even though he had raced Karts for 4-5 years.

On the Toe Rods, you are Borderline!
Old 10-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #6
dentnshell

Are the stock ZL1 (2013 ) Toe Rods and trailing arms an upgrade over the SS parts?
I have decided to go with a ZL1 Differential and Axles. Didn't know if they other parts would be an upgrade (for the time being) over what I have or not. The price would be minimal compared to adjustable (Future upgrade.)

Thoughts on the ZL1 sway bar?
Old 10-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #7
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Honestly until you get proper tires on it, your wasting your money. Get some DR's or smaller wheels.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:32 PM   #8
wrtowman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
I just had the same upgrade done as you. I also pieced together some suspension bits to the rear and couldnt be happier.

BMR LCA which you dont need since you already have FE4
BMR Toe rods
BMR trailing arms
ZL1 sway and end links(I have this for sale)
DSS 1kHP axles
ZL1 hubs

Everything you need can be had brand new for 1400. Less if you browse the forum.

And of course you need some grip.
2011 SGM Camaro 1SS/RS A6 - Vengeance Racing built/tuned. 590RWHP/560RWTQ, ADM LSA Conversion, 2.5 Grip-Tec, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM, FIC1000, VRPD2 Cam and LS3 Conversion with all the internal goodies, American Racing 1 7/8 Headers, no cats, SW Retro Cat Back, ADM Intake, AFCO HX, Varimax Pump, Rotofab Reservoir, B&M Transmission Cooler, VMAX TB, Elite Engineering CC, BMR LCAs, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, DSS 1000hp axles, ZL1 Bumper and Sideskirts, Night Owl Halos, Matte Black 20" Rohana RC-22 with 20x10-275s/20x11-315s, R1 Concept Premier Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.
wrtowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:00 PM   #9
dentnshell

Quote:
lol. I've been a Racing/Driving Instructor for over 25 Years and I believe in people having the skills to be able to handle situations in their road cars. I know my Training has saved my bacon a few times. 1st thing I did when my son was of driving age, I sent him to two driving schools (Audi & BMW) even though he had raced Karts for 4-5 years.

On the Toe Rods, you are Borderline!
Ok - So the ZL1 Diff and axles are in. Also installed the ZL1 Rear Sway.
Solid Subframe mounts are on the way (I wanted to install at different times, just to be able to feel the difference in how the different parts made the car feel.)

Next?? Remember this is a 2014 with FE4
Do I need TCA028? If so BMR's documentation about endlinks "seems" to be confusing and the first note **** may only apply to 2010 and 2011????

Also BMR TCA033 - I am not sure I wouldn't prefer Detroit Speeds DSE-042303 due to the polyurethane bushing vs a spherical bushing

Finally BMR TR003 - due to maintenance I think I would prefer these over the TR004. And for that reason I have concerns about the above trailing arm... I am ignorant about the true maintenance and longevity of the spherical bushing. I am simply going off of the BMR Website information.

So with the 2014 FE4 lowered 1" do I need or are Control arms highly recommended?
Old 11-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #10
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Ok - So the ZL1 Diff and axles are in. Also installed the ZL1 Rear Sway.
Solid Subframe mounts are on the way (I wanted to install at different times, just to be able to feel the difference in how the different parts made the car feel.)

Do I need TCA028? If so BMR's documentation about endlinks "seems" to be confusing and the first note **** may only apply to 2010 and 2011????

Also BMR TCA033 - I am not sure I wouldn't prefer Detroit Speeds DSE-042303 due to the polyurethane bushing vs a spherical bushing

Finally BMR TR003 - due to maintenance I think I would prefer these over the TR004. And for that reason I have concerns about the above trailing arm... I am ignorant about the true maintenance and longevity of the spherical bushing. I am simply going off of the BMR Website information.

So with the 2014 FE4 lowered 1" do I need or are Control arms highly recommended?
Your going to spend a ton of money on suspension parts, I did, and still had issues. Not as bad, but it didn't help any where near as much as a 700 dollar set of drag radials. Just saying....
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #11
BMR Sales

Quote:

I would recommend them mainly due to the Camber issue when lowering - some cars can get away with better Camber Bolts

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...576&superpro=0
Old 11-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #12
dentnshell

Quote:
I would recommend them mainly due to the Camber issue when lowering - some cars can get away with better Camber Bolts

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...576&superpro=0
Hoping for a Black Friday sale.
Looking at adjustable toe rods - TR003
Rear Trailing Arms and bushings (Non Adjustable) TCA026

Trying to decide on bolts vs control arms - TCA028

I have been looking at the article that superchevy did on a 2012 ZL1 and noticed they did not do the adjustable trailing arm, even with the new control arms...

Thoughts??? I simply don't want to spend money on adjustability - If I don't need to adjust.