Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #15
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Nice 55...Car looks sick with the brake set up and those awesome 4.5" SOLO PERFORMANCE tips!

How much were the rotors??
Old 01-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #16
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick2010 View Post
You have your rotors on backwards. They should have been stamped L or R
uh oh.................

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #17
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
You have your rotors on backwards. They should have been stamped L or R
No they are on the right way. Check Brembo, Stillen, and Racing Brake. They all say that the outer most end of the slot should enter the brake pad first.
Name:  a.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  36.7 KB
Old 01-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #18
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
They look great! Yup, they look correct - they were written on:
Attached Images

2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #19
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1BADZ View Post
uh oh.................
No worries. Those are pillar vane rotors, which means the internal venting is unidirectional. The shop has guidelines they adhere to for the L/R designation in general, but these can run either way with no difference. Our experience has shown that slot direction is immaterial.

Now with curved-vane vented rotors (like many Corvettes), it does matter. We choose to slot across the vanes for better strength, so the slots are like what the above picture here shows. It is important to run curved-vane rotors in the correct direction so they pump the air from the center of the rotor outward.

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #20
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Well mine had no L or Right designation but after installing lots big brake kits my eyes drew a blank and I figured it out.

Thanks the car does look sweet.

These rotors were cheaper than the Brembos so for anyone interested get a set.

The braking performance is awesome. Car stops better than other cars I owned with factory Brembo kits, E63 AMG, Jaguar XKR etc. For anyone to spend 7k on a big brake kit has rocks in their head unless they are doing a show car and want the look. I am hard as heck on my cars and my Camaro has ZERO fade. The pistons are a decent size for the OEM calipers so I doubt I will do aything else unless a vendor wants to gives me a bigger kit to try out for kicks.

Xmicro Paul when the weather gets better we will all get together and you cant take my SS for a spin. You will be blown away at the way it drives now.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #21
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Cool can't wait for the weather to clear so I can do mine. Hopefully Saturday!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #22
Rick2010
Chevrolet's & NY Yankees!

Drives: ALL CHEVROLET'S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
No worries. Those are pillar vane rotors, which means the internal venting is unidirectional. The shop has guidelines they adhere to for the L/R designation in general, but these can run either way with no difference. Our experience has shown that slot direction is immaterial.

Now with curved-vane vented rotors (like many Corvettes), it does matter. We choose to slot across the vanes for better strength, so the slots are like what the above picture here shows. It is important to run curved-vane rotors in the correct direction so they pump the air from the center of the rotor outward.

Chris
I called Stillen and they actually told me I was one of the first customers to correctly install the rotors.....and they are left and right.....

It's your car.......so as long as you are happy.....so are we.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #23
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
I called Stillen and they actually told me I was one of the first customers to correctly install the rotors.....and they are left and right.....

It's your car.......so as long as you are happy.....so are we.
Just for the record, the next batch will not be marked. Install in the direction you wish.

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #24
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post

Xmicro Paul when the weather gets better we will all get together and you cant take my SS for a spin. You will be blown away at the way it drives now.
Sounds Great, I cannot wait for warmer weather!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #25
6liter

Drives: BLK
I think I might raise my car up a little in the rear. I love the stance of your car.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd - Mods: Kenne Bell 2.8, Kooks, Wortec Bi-Modal Exhaust & Big Brake Kit (12piston front), MTI Shifter, BC Racing Coilovers, CCW Thunderbolt, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Carbon Fiber and satin wrap. Thanks to Hartely Automotive for helping with this build.
6liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #26
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6liter View Post
I think I might raise my car up a little in the rear. I love the stance of your car.
Do it your car would never last 10 minutes up my way. Yours is LOW

My car really has no gap the edge of the tire is flush. I parked today on an angle in front of the train station so the weight to the right makes it look like it has an inch of gap but it really doesnt. Youd have to see it in person. With the custom spacers it looks TOUGH as HELL
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #27
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post

Chris
The stock Brembos on the SS's are curved-vane vented rotors, so are the Racing Brake rotors.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #28
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
So by replacing the Brembo stock curved vane rotors with Stillen drilled/slotted straight vane are we compromising performance/heat dissipation or will the slots and holes make up for having straight rather than curved vanes?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote