Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #1
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
New Here, first post.

With this being my first post, I'd like to start out by saying "hello everyone"!
I've been lurking for about a year, and just registered.
I have been exited about this car yet undecided about weather to buy one or not. Last year due to new baby and financial reasons, I was forced to sell my most prized posession, my 2000 Trans-Am. I had poured lots of money into it and we had been thru hell together. I now have a '04 GTO, Ill have it payed off this October, with less than 40k miles on it, Im thinking it will make a good down payment on a new Camaro. I just have one thing holding me back, you guys may think this is stupid, but, With no Pontiac version of the car, I feel really left out and let down by GM. Ive had about 4 Trans-Ams and 6 f-bodies all together, Im a big time Pontiac fan, always have been. Ive daily driven them, raced them, built them, worked on countless T/As as a mechanic. They are, in a way, my true love. Dont get me wrong, the new Camro is a near perfect car. I really like it. Just kinda makes me feel like a sellout to go ahead and order one.

Sorry for the rant, I guess Im looking for some one to help talk me into ordering, lol. Either I order one soon, or I get me a used 4th gen T/A and start over.

Thanks
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBandit911 View Post
With this being my first post, I'd like to start out by saying "hello everyone"!
I have been exited about this car yet undecided about weather to buy one or not. Last year due to new baby and financial reasons, I was forced to sell my most prized posession, my 2000 Trans-Am. I had poured lots of money into it and we had been thru hell together. I now have a '04 GTO, Ill have it payed off this October, with less than 40k miles on it, Im thinking it will make a good down payment on a new Camaro. I just have one thing holding me back, you guys may think this is stupid, but, With no Pontiac version of the car, I feel really left out and let down by GM. Ive had about 4 Trans-Ams and 6 f-bodies all together, Im a big time Pontiac fan, always have been. Ive daily driven them, raced them, built them, worked on countless T/As as a mechanic. They are, in a way, my true love. Dont get me wrong, the new Camro is a near perfect car. I really like it. Just kinda makes me feel like a sellout to go ahead and order one.

Sorry for the rant, I guess Im looking for some one to help talk me into ordering, lol. Either I order one soon, or I get me a used 4th gen T/A and start over.

Thanks
Coming from a GM family, and the son of a man who was in the conference room the day they decided to cut Pontiac, it was absolutely not by choice. The brand was unsustainable in this economy, and although GM gave it everything they had to build an amazing product line (which in all reality, they did) it still wasn't enough to keep the brand viable.

That being said, you shouldn't let that get in the way of you owning a Camaro. There is muscle car heritage teeming throughout this entire vehicle, in a way that really makes the glory days of the sixties and seventies proud. It has a stunning exterior, functional interior, and massive powertrain. It is something every GM fan can get behind and be proud of, and has the ability to make people think twice about writing off American made vehicles.

This car is the lifeblood of General Motors, and stands for so many cars that came before it. In many ways, it is standing on the shoulders of giants. That is why it is worthy of ownership.

At least, that's how I see it.

oh, and welcome to Camaro5!!
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties

Last edited by kdbolt70; 04-27-2009 at 12:00 AM.
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
25thanniversary

Drives: 92 Camaro Convt RS,2011 Camaro RS
welcome to the site enjoy your stay

TEAM LLT

1992 Camaro Rs Convertible
2011 Camaro 1lt Rs
25thanniversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
2010cantwait
not waiting anymore

Drives: vehicles
Smile

Like it has been posted before, GM doesnt need competition from its own vehicles. I would have loved to see a firebird....
2010cantwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #5
Colt Faro Camaro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
Coming from a GM family, and the son of a man who was in the conference room the day they decided to cut Pontiac, it was absolutely not by choice. The brand was unsustainable in this economy, and although GM gave it everything they had to build an amazing product line (which in all reality, they did) it still wasn't enough to keep the brand viable.

That being said, you shouldn't let that get in the way of you owning a Camaro. There is muscle car heritage teeming throughout this entire vehicle, in a way that really makes the glory days of the sixties and seventies proud. It has a stunning exterior, functional interior, and massive powertrain. It is something every GM fan can get behind and be proud of, and has the ability to make people think twice about writing off American made vehicles.

This car is the lifeblood of General Motors, and stands for so many cars that came before it. In many ways, it is standing on the shoulders of giants. That is why it is worthy of ownership.

At least, that's how I see it.

oh, and welcome to Camaro5!!
Well Said!!!
Colt Faro Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:40 AM   #6
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I don't see the problem. A firebird is just a Camaro with pretty little cuts in it. Buy the Camaro, it's the closest you will get. I for one thought the Firebird was allways kinda a wannabe Camaro.

Welcome to the site.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:41 AM   #7
TJTKSDMJ8
I COMMAND YOU TO HOOK 'EM

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS2/RS R6P

Welcome!
Old 04-27-2009, 12:44 AM   #8
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
I don't see the problem. A firebird is just a Camaro with pretty little cuts in it. Buy the Camaro, it's the closest you will get. I for one thought the Firebird was allways kinda a wannabe Camaro.

Welcome to the site.
BITE YOUR TONGUE!!
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:28 AM   #9
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Faro Camaro View Post
Well Said!!!
Exactly what I was going to say! +1
Old 04-27-2009, 03:40 AM   #10
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBandit911 View Post

Thanks
To tell you the truth, I probably would have went with a Trans Am too if they had offered it.
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:59 AM   #11
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
Fellow Poncho nut here too. Only thing you can say is, "Oh effing well." At least there's a chevy F-body. It's not the same though, and non-pontiac guys will never 'get' what made our birds so special to us. And as for the firebird wanting to be a camaro, remember which division was the cooler one in the public eye in 1967 when they both came out. (donning flamesuit)
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:29 AM   #12
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
thank you all for your replies. I understand GM has to make money, and I dont want GM to completely go away. The Camaro has always been my 2nd favorite car I just cant help but see this platform with that touch of style Pontiac gave previouse f-bodies. Just feels like somethings missing. I get the competing with itself stuff, so why keep GMC? If so, then kill the Silverado/Tahoe/Suburban and let GMC be the truck/suv devision? Anyway, it doesnt matter, really.

Im prolly gonna go ahead and order. Oh and btw, I dont consider utilizing a shared unibody platform, designing your own engines, rearends, etc etc as "pretending to be a camaro".
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:25 AM   #13
Gibb

Drives: 1967 rs/ss 396 4speed
Pontiac has made some very cool cars 67 firebird, 67 GTO, Bonneville and a host of others. Will we loose the GMC pickup as well.
Gibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #14
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
sorry Pontiac dies today... ORDER NOW, SAVE GM!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote