Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Remote Start Durability

Just wondering how often the remote start is designed to be used. Like is more than once a day too much? Does it need any sort of maintenance if you were to use it a lot? Just don't want to screw anything up lol. We have a Cadillac DTS that has it, but we only use the feature maybe 3 times a week (however that is usually me whenever I get to drive it lol, I just love this feature!) Anyways probably worried about nothing but it was bugging me, and if I go remote start crazy one day and do it like 10 times will it cause any damage to anything?
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Parker

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Your remote battery will run down minutely faster and that's probably it.
It'd be like sticking in the key and cranking it over.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
RallyFever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
go crazy - no harm to the system
RallyFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
VJCamaro
Please not have any Delay

Drives: 2SS, RS, Sunroof, Polished
Yep, just the remote battery will run down quicker. I use mine all the time on my vehicle.
VJCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
kanys

Ok cool thanks, just what I wanted to hear!
Old 03-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
/facepalm
Old 03-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
I use my remote start every day prolly from Nov-April in -23c. Never a problem with it or the car. Im pretty impressed with my Magnum!! Always started first time every time!
Old 03-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It

Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanys View Post
Just wondering how often the remote start is designed to be used. Like is more than once a day too much? Does it need any sort of maintenance if you were to use it a lot? Just don't want to screw anything up lol. We have a Cadillac DTS that has it, but we only use the feature maybe 3 times a week (however that is usually me whenever I get to drive it lol, I just love this feature!) Anyways probably worried about nothing but it was bugging me, and if I go remote start crazy one day and do it like 10 times will it cause any damage to anything?
I know you live in houston but if there is ever a cold day you WILL thank God for it trust me lol
Old 03-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarino View Post
I know you live in houston

a cold day in Houston. HAHAHA....you dont know how good you got it weather wise......come live up here from Nov-March average temp probably somewhere around -10 to -20 C (14 to -4 F) You know you are spoiled when you have to use remote start to get the AC going......im so jealous

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #10
kanys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarino View Post
I know you live in houston but if there is ever a cold day you WILL thank God for it trust me lol
Lol yeah <45 F is pretty darn cold by my standards (and yeah bluch I am pretty grateful that I live here, the heat is bad sometimes but overall it is good, can't imagine living with sub-freezing temps for weeks at a time!), but I use remote start mainly to cool it off, feels like you are suffocating for like 10 seconds when you get in the car in the summer w/o it. Headpunter you may want to get another facepalm ready for this next comment - I am going to miss the cooled seats and heated steering wheel from the Caddy lol! I know many of you may think both are pointless waste of money/uneccesary weight additions but I thoroughly enjoy both systems quite frequently so they are well worth it to me.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It

Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluch View Post
a cold day in Houston. HAHAHA....you dont know how good you got it weather wise......come live up here from Nov-March average temp probably somewhere around -10 to -20 C (14 to -4 F) You know you are spoiled when you have to use remote start to get the AC going......im so jealous
lol
yea well where do u think NY gets all those cold fronts from....CANADA!!
Old 03-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
The actual remote starting system has absolutely no moving parts whatsoever..... it's all part of the car's computer. In fact, actuating the remote start is EXACTLY the same as inserting the key and turning the switch in the steering column, only you're not doing that part untill you get in to unlock the wheel and keep the engine running.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:13 PM   #13
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Are you talking about from the remote? It's simply a signal being sent. The same as if you used it to unlock the door or trunk (different command, same signal structure, length, strength).

I won't run your remote down any quicker. You're not using any more power to send the command to start the car than you do to unlock it. The only thing that MAY take more power is that you have to actually hold a button down to do the remote start.
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #14
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
It's not an issue. All it's doing is using relays to do what is normally done with the key.

Only difference is the trigger mechanism, which is the remote and the relay system (alarm brain). Knowing GM it's probably and XRCS micro relay setup (which is a good thing hehe).

They have an anti grind so it won't grind if that's what your thinking.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote