Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-28-2012, 04:25 AM   #1
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
$ for $ could you build an SS to take a ZL1?

With the extra $30K or so you'd save buying a used 2010 SS could you build a customized camaro to your specs (wheels, etc) that would compete with or outperform the ZL1? It might not have the same "status" or resale value, but if you were just looking for "fun" car where is your money best spent and why? What do all you Camaro fanatics think?
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
With the extra $30K or so you'd save buying a used 2010 SS could you build a customized camaro to your specs (wheels, etc) that would compete with or outperform the ZL1? It might not have the same "status" or resale value, but if you were just looking for "fun" car where is your money best spent and why? What do all you Camaro fanatics think?
Very easily. Just buy a new 1SS for 31k drop +or-20k on the hennessy 650 and you're already faster and cheaper. Or spend about 12k and do it your self with alot more power to spare. Either way you'd out run it at the track all day. now if it's a road course instead of drag, then I think you'd be missing the suspension in comparison but the extra power should make up for it.

The main loss imo in getting a modded ss over the zl1 is the waranty. Just for fun though SS all the way.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:17 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
Absolutely. Like you mentioned, it wouldn't be a ZL1 with a factory warranty but with that kind of a budget you could build a unique car that was faster and handled better.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
papabearcamaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 Z71
That's what I did.
Money ahead by doing what I did to my car,and in the end did not have that stupid looking front end.
SOLD(Traded for 2012 Silverado Z71 4x4 and 2012 Sonic Hatch.)...2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/LS3,yellow with House of Kolor Tangerine Pearl rally stripes,manual trans.Hurst short throw shifter,4 pack rally gauges,Roto-Fab air intake,Kooks long tube headers with high-flow cats,Borla S-Type catback exhaust,Comp Cam,PRC ported heads,Maggie with 3.6 pulley and 1:1 cog drive,secondary fuel system with 65lb injectors,ADM digital A/F and Boost gauge,Pfadt trailing arms and subframe bushings.614.25rwhp/566.82rwtq on 8# of boost.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 EX.Cab 4X4 Z71.
papabearcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I think you would find out the cost would be more than just buying a ZL1. The ZL1 isn't about going fast in a straight line, it's more about the ride and balance.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I think you would find out the cost would be more than just buying a ZL1. The ZL1 isn't about going fast in a straight line, it's more about the ride and balance.
For those that buy the zl1 yes. For this guy... sounds like he wants to go fast.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #7
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
I'm too lazy to do custom work and don't have time to drop it off to shops and wait around. I'd take a stock ZL1 for sure and just drive it!
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Yes
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Yes, fairly easily, but you wouldnt have the warranty. Actually, you could take an SS, add the ZL1 appearance stuff, and a s/c, and suspension mods. So you would look like a ZL1 and be able to beat it, for less than a new one. Magnetic ride would be costly to retro fit, but you can do so much to the suspension and have it handle better than the ZL1, without having magnetic ride.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
pierre777
HT5 COTW 9/3/2012

Drives: Cyber Bullet
Send a message via Skype™ to pierre777
Yup, I did.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
You would want to mod the ZL1 too.

I know, I know you say you wouldn't, but you have said that before.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Absolutely. Like you mentioned, it wouldn't be a ZL1 with a factory warranty but with that kind of a budget you could build a unique car that was faster and handled better.
Essentially this is what I am looking for. I want somethng that's mine, and turns head to some extent, even if it just mine . Though I had an 80' Z28 back in the day and no matter what my freind did to his camaro it was still never a "Z". It's a bunch of words though and at the end of the day I just want a fun car. Though it a;ways seemed like he was trying to build his car to be what mine already was .

There is a small part of me that sees the value of having LE1. More for the collectable end of it, rarity, and down the road (re-sale?) value of it vs "just an SS". Of course any any way you look at a car like this a poor "investment" and not the purpose at all. The warranty would be nice, but you're right, I'd probably want to modify the ZL1 too . My old camaro sadly in the end became just a collection of cool parts with little value comapred to others with "matching numbers". Though I had a great time with the car I now see the value (or loss of it) by modifying it.

I guess I am still trying to figure out exactly what I want from this car. What I know I don;t wnat is a car that sits in the garage all time because I am too scared to leave it anywhere. It seems I already know my answer....but I thought I'd throw it out there and wee what you all thought and did with your own situations .
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
StangKiller-SS

Drives: GM products
No doubt you could. About $11k for an SLP S/C package that's the route I'm going.
StangKiller-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 AM   #14
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Easily. There are many dozens of guys here on C5 that have already done it.

What I like doing is looking at how much the ZR1 vette costs and then sit back and think that my engine is already putting down more HP then the top end vette and when I get done with my last mod, I will have around 200 HP more then the Vette and for about $40,000 less then what they charge for the Vette but I will admit it will be around $20,000 more then what the ZL1 would cost but that includes a LOAD of upgrades, cosmetic, performance in power and suspension work.

If I bought a ZL1 I would drive it for 4000-5000 miles to prove everything and then it would be moded to hell also so in my mind I am better off with what I have done, especially when I get done with it. Plus I think mine is alot better looking then a ZL1. Had my car at the local dealers annual car show last weekend in the showroom with 6 new camaros including a new black ZL1. My ride got 10 times the attention of the ZL1 just by appearance alone, then when they looked at the specs they really got to buzzing!!!

Unfortunately the hood was not all the way down in this pic, they had the hood up for the show to show off the maggie and all the extras under the hood. They wanted a quick pick so they just lowered the hood but did not close it completely!!!

Here is a pic with me and my best little buddy standing next to HER car!!! Thats what she tells me anyway!!! Was pretty cool to have all these hot camaros in one showroom.

All that said, the ZL1 is a hot ride for sure but you can take it to such a higher level even still with the SS. Just depends on what you want and like.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote