Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-02-2017, 08:22 PM   #15
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Anyone forward of the mirrors of the car can only hear blower whine.

An intake and pulley will add a lot of whine.

Though I find it extremely dumb to mod for sound and neglect what should be done (If that's what's going on, gathering that from some posts above).

Do you have a power goal? Beating a modded up Hellcat will take a significant amount of work. Hellcats put down 800+ RWHP on a pulley intake and tune and 900+ RWHP if they add E85, whereas the ZL1 can barely accomplish 800 RWHP on the stock blower on a max effort setup.
not modding specifically for sound, just after my first 300 miles I was not impressed with supercharger. I do like to hear it, sort of like watching a horror film w/the volume off. It just isn't the same, just my opinion. What I was hoping is someone would have shared a success story with larger replacement super charger and then I would have built around that making sure my cam/injectors/intake/exhaust can maximize the increased boost..However, seeing some of the builds that others have done with the stock blower, maybe I can live with it. I am going to give it more thought.

My goal is 10.01 sec, not adding a role cage etc. Yes I assure you I will beat down hellcats, will send video links next spring after I am done with my build this winter.
StreetRage320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:28 PM   #16
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvnmaniac View Post
If you can't hear the whine after the above install yoU need to get your ears checked ..LOL
I have the above installed years ago and it sounds fine to me. Also enjoy the 25 or 30 extra HP...
that is great to know you like yours, I guess I made the right choice. lol yes maybe the entire problem is my hearing! never thought of that.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:04 AM   #17
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
The SC whine was the first thing I noticed between the ZL1 and the HellCat...Inside the cabin of a stock ZL1 you can barely hear the SC in some you can't hear it at all, the HellCat was completely different, you can hear the whine at idle and of course it increases with more throttle...The whine of the HellCat actually was nerve racking to me once on the highway, as I like to hear my music...All the previous post are pointing you in the right direction, but for the immediate an aftermarket CAI will make the ZL1 SC whine much more noticeable than stock...As you continue to build there may be a point where you have to compromise as adding exhaust upgrades will be more prominent in sound than the SC...I still have a completely stock exhaust with the cuts out open and it's loud enough to cover the SC whine until I'm really on the pedal...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:51 AM   #18
Inferno13

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I noticed more whine after I added the Rotofab.
Inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:50 AM   #19
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
The SC whine was the first thing I noticed between the ZL1 and the HellCat...Inside the cabin of a stock ZL1 you can barely hear the SC in some you can't hear it at all, the HellCat was completely different, you can hear the whine at idle and of course it increases with more throttle...The whine of the HellCat actually was nerve racking to me once on the highway, as I like to hear my music...All the previous post are pointing you in the right direction, but for the immediate an aftermarket CAI will make the ZL1 SC whine much more noticeable than stock...As you continue to build there may be a point where you have to compromise as adding exhaust upgrades will be more prominent in sound than the SC...I still have a completely stock exhaust with the cuts out open and it's loud enough to cover the SC whine until I'm really on the pedal...
put me down as one of them that you cannot hear at all. I did some research, which by the way found a interesting video if you like the head2head series..google this "zl1 head2head hellcat" good video and addresses my exact concern.

Eaton ZL1 S/C is 1.9 liter, 9.0 PSI boost , 16,900 RPM 4 lobe rotor design
Mopar Hellcat S/C is 2.38 liter, 11.6 PSI boost, 14,600 RPM screw type*
*why is theirs so damn loud?

just ordered 2.38" pulley and 64.50" belt, based on Eaton's charts that should up my RPM to 21k +/-, that + the intake that is on the way should allow me to get everything I can out of the S/C!

Maybe I need to copy Ford and pipe the whine into the cab through my stereo speakers LMAO!
Old 09-03-2017, 08:01 AM   #20
Russell James

Drives: two 5ths and a 1st
Whine is from the gears and how they mesh. Straight cut gears like in a racing transmission will whine like crazy. Has nothing to do with boost or rpm, it's all in what type of gears they stuck in there driving the rotors.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:07 AM   #21
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Whine is from the gears and how they mesh. Straight cut gears like in a racing transmission will whine like crazy. Has nothing to do with boost or rpm, it's all in what type of gears they stuck in there driving the rotors.
Thanks, did not know that..that makes sense to me.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:38 AM   #22
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '02 S10 ZR2 M5
Rotofab CAI you will hear whine. Trust me, friends of mine took video of me on the track, and you could tell my car was coming into the picture just by the supercharger whine at WOT.

No other mods needed.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:40 AM   #23
camaro2ss/rs

Drives: 2ss/rs
This is your biggest issue with YOUR ZL1 THE WHINE!... I WISH I HAD YOUR ISSUES AND A ZL1........... I THINK I CAN HEAR THE WHINE FROM YOUR POST GOOD LUCK BE SAFE
camaro2ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:19 AM   #24
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
Rotofab CAI you will hear whine. Trust me, friends of mine took video of me on the track, and you could tell my car was coming into the picture just by the supercharger whine at WOT.

No other mods needed.
Thanks I hope to have that installed next week. I will maybe hold off on the pulley and tune based on Russell James explanation. No sense in spinning the hell out of it yet until I understand what I'm going to do.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #25
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2ss/rs View Post
This is your biggest issue with YOUR ZL1 THE WHINE!... I WISH I HAD YOUR ISSUES AND A ZL1........... I THINK I CAN HEAR THE WHINE FROM YOUR POST GOOD LUCK BE SAFE
? I enjoy customizing cars to my preference, and I love the sadistic sound of a screaming supercharger. I am probably unique in that way. I am not whining or complaining. Just looking for information. Although your whine about not having a ZL1 was the loudest whine I've heard all day, so thanks.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:35 AM   #26
1LEric

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LE
https://instagram.com/p/BYYiXuZFOhv/
1LEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #27
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEric View Post
OMG!!!!!! I I knew eventually I would find what I was looking for I just sent in an order request to the contact info off the Instagram page. Can't thank you enough for sharing this information with me it will truly change the car.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #28
Jr02z

Drives: 2012 ZL1 A6
I too had the same thoughts when I bought my zl1 that you could not hear the s/c. As others mentioned after installing a rotofab that made a nice difference then I added a 2.38 upper it's awesome now!
Jr02z is offline   Reply With Quote