Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Rough Roads

So i have heard and read reports of all the effects that driving down rough roads have for cars, such as shortening tire, suspension, electrical and engine life. They also contribute most squeaks and rattles to repeatedly driving on rough roads. I know they test cars for this and design them so that they can withstand this, but in my mind i still think that rough roads will adversely effect a lot of the cars systems, am i wrong?

the reason i ask is because on my every day i drive 10 miles to work(one way), and of this 6 is on a very, very rough road. The road is bad enough that in a unloaded pick up truck, the back will hit a bump and swing out slightly, even while steering straight. No one knows why they have not re-surfaced the road. the speed limit is 55.
My choices are to drive this road, and risk rattles and squeaks, or take a different, less direct route that would be about 14 miles one way.

I want Cammy to last forever, so i wanted to know if i was being paranoid.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
TahoeCamaro

Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS VR, '11 Tahoe LTZ
Rattles can be fixed.
You aren't being paranoid, I'd be a little worried too.
Maybe write a letter to the city about this.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
So i have heard and read reports of all the effects that driving down rough roads have for cars, such as shortening tire, suspension, electrical and engine life. They also contribute most squeaks and rattles to repeatedly driving on rough roads. I know they test cars for this and design them so that they can withstand this, but in my mind i still think that rough roads will adversely effect a lot of the cars systems, am i wrong?

the reason i ask is because on my every day i drive 10 miles to work(one way), and of this 6 is on a very, very rough road. The road is bad enough that in a unloaded pick up truck, the back will hit a bump and swing out slightly, even while steering straight. No one knows why they have not re-surfaced the road. the speed limit is 55.
My choices are to drive this road, and risk rattles and squeaks, or take a different, less direct route that would be about 14 miles one way.

I want Cammy to last forever, so i wanted to know if i was being paranoid.
Sounds to me like you're darned if you do and darned if you don't. Put the car through a round-trip 20 mile Hell, or put an extra 8 miles a day on your car (plus your time.) My advice is to get on your county commissioner about fixing the road.
CamaroFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
camaro151

Drives: 2LT Cyber Grey, RS
dude if u really want ur car to last and your worried about all the sqeaks and damage that can be done with that road, i say take the alternate route, i mean its only an extra 4 miles i dont find that all that big of a deal, but thats just me
Old 09-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Yeah, but it's an extra 4 miles one way, meaning 8 miles a day. Not a big deal for one trip, but it'll add up day-in and day-out. I don't know what I'd do here.
CamaroFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
levi1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeCamaro View Post
Rattles can be fixed.
You aren't being paranoid, I'd be a little worried too.
Maybe write a letter to the city about this.
i live outside the city line, by about 8 miles, where the road crosses the line into the city, it gets very smooth, and turns into a four lane road with turn lane
Old 09-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
this is a dillema, i liked the post about writing a letter, sounds like the best option
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Until they fix the road, I would just do the extra 4 miles.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
First, I can assure you that your Camaro was tested over some of THE most severe roads and potholes. If you saw the roads the Camaro was tested on you would wince.

Second, the wear and tear on your car due to driving on VERY rough roads is going to be greater. The loads into the body and suspension will be higher when you hit bumps, potholes and such rather than smooth pavement . On dirt roads you will kick up more rocks and debris. In the rain, a dirt road will get the car muddy, not just wet. Over time does this take a toll on your car? Yes.

So if you want you car in the best condition it can be and last longer than normal, take a smoother route.

But just know that you aren't dong anything to your car that we haven't.........a lot.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #10
levi1922

Thank you all for your responses. I think i will be going on the smoother road and sacrificing a few miles and minutes each day. as far as writing a letter to get the road fixed, numerous people have done so already, and i will see about sending a letter of my own.

And i thank alll the people who tested, designed and built the camaro, i think they all know that they made a top rate car, and i appreciate the time they spent to make sure that we got the best Camaro yet.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #11
Laserjen

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
Thank you all for your responses. I think i will be going on the smoother road and sacrificing a few miles and minutes each day. as far as writing a letter to get the road fixed, numerous people have done so already, and i will see about sending a letter of my own.
Good call, I don't think you'll mind the extra few miles anyway. Before I got my car I hated my commute (20 miles roundtrip)...now it goes by sooo fast (even when I keep to the speed limit)!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #12
zen

Drives: 2011 CTS CPE & 2010 2LT/RS CGM
Don't what wheels or tires you have but let some air out to cushion the ride.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
SirBrad
The Captain

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS SIM
It's a Chevy...it's eventually going to rattle no matter what you drive it on.
SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote