Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #15
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
Transmissions with heavy wear will have abrassives mixed/suspended in the fluid, ironically the abrasives can assist and help prevent slipping where tolerances are not longer to spec. The theory is that if you flush them out with clean transmission fluid, the result can be you loose the abrasives in the fluid and now you may have slipping issues.

IMO I would proceed with your fluid/filter/gasket change.

good luck op
This is my understanding as well. All of those suspended particles are actually assisting the friction plates in the clutch packs. Once you drain all of the fluid out, the suspended particles go with it and you no longer get the friction benefit. In some cases, the trans is far enough gone that it will start slipping.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:34 PM   #16
mike12345
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro 1LT
I don’t know what you’re talking about.

Just drain the fluid, maybe pump out what you can, refill with the same volume of new fluid. Drive it and do it again.
Attached Images

mike12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:44 PM   #17
pzero

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #968 Silver Ice M
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
This is my understanding as well. All of those suspended particles are actually assisting the friction plates in the clutch packs. Once you drain all of the fluid out, the suspended particles go with it and you no longer get the friction benefit. In some cases, the trans is far enough gone that it will start slipping.
FYI for future reference. I,m sure you have done or not done the service as of yet. The dealer will do a full trans flush meaning, trans fluid and pressure will be going into the filler hole while they drain the old trans fluid out from the pan.

This will drain out all the particles, in which can cause trans to slip. At 100,000, I would not do the full flush and only do a partial trans fluid change. Drop the pan, let is drip out as much as you can, install pan and gasket and refill to spec and you should have no problem. Good luck to you.
pzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #18
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampos View Post
That sucks. Changed mine plus rear differential at the same time when I hit 25k. Then changed both trans and diff again at 50k. I will probably be leaving mine alone for a good while now. Of course, I have an LS3
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flush, transmission fluid