Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 01:58 AM   #57
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended

Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
wow!!...beautiful work!!
Old 09-30-2009, 02:29 AM   #58
Legend17
Army Bound

Drives: 97 Camaro RS
now that may be the best mod i have seen on the whole site!!! how much of a mod is it tho? im sure it digs deep into the pockets eh? also what functions are we lookin at? includin the usb functionality and blue tooth?
Old 09-30-2009, 02:33 AM   #59
BumbleDs

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS TF Edition
Man, you get a hug, and I dont just give those to anybody

Love it or hate it, my car can transform and kick your cars @$$!
Old 09-30-2009, 03:54 AM   #60
Hess RS
Account Suspended

Drives: 91 Camaro RS
haha thanks for the hug Bumble! Its nice to see the fruits of my labor are appreciated. wait until you see the rest of the car!! ya its pretty pricey for the radio. but well worth it. the clarion unit that i put in has built in bluetooth, support for ipod/ipod video/usb, as well as xm, and divx video. that particular unit have a 40gb HDD Nav that plugs into it, and its FAST!! boots up in about 3 seconds. no more wait time like the pioneer units. and all the factory onstar, onstar nav, door chimes, and of course HVAC are all still fully functional.

just so all the bases are covered i want to give props to my painter for the killer color match and the molding of the dash. he does some killer work! he also did a bunch of other things on the car, but ill put all that in the full writeup.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:11 AM   #61
jamesfl
BAD 4SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS with ground effect
Sick

Ok,
I want one, how much?
Old 09-30-2009, 05:38 AM   #62
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Looks REALLY nice man. Good job!
Old 09-30-2009, 07:49 AM   #63
AngryAmish

Drives: Impala
Very nice! Hehe, the car almost looks naked without all that craziness going on in the center of the dash. If I did this, I'd have to think of some cosmetic modifications to spice it up.

Speaking of mods, I just noticed the little switch next to the keys. Mind letting that little secret out yet?

Proud Owner of #168
Old 09-30-2009, 08:03 AM   #64
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
so i am taking it that you made a mold and re did everything yourself? thats what it looks like also i was thinking you just straight cut the lcd scree out and fitted the dbl din. now that i see it i might go that route.

see i also have a buddy who does custom work like you he wanted to fit a dbl din but i refused cause i was thinking more of keeping the retro look and having the radio station change like the old dials. but hey mine is a show car so might as well go all out right.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:24 AM   #65
tstpierre

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT
The stock radio IS a double din already, so the mounting is all there in place.

The toughest part of all of this is the dash trim around it. If you've taken it apart yet, you know what I'm talking about... All the AC controls etc are in the trim piece that comes off to reveal the head unit.

Either modding the stock trim, or remolding is the only true way to get it done. Maybe making the entire thing 2 pieces.... hmmm.

Gotta be hella expensive to order a replacement part for that trim piece

All in all, that is fabulous work. Good job !
Old 09-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #66
DRK

Drives: 2007 Harley Davidson F-250
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstpierre View Post
The stock radio IS a double din already, so the mounting is all there in place.

The toughest part of all of this is the dash trim around it. If you've taken it apart yet, you know what I'm talking about... All the AC controls etc are in the trim piece that comes off to reveal the head unit.

Either modding the stock trim, or remolding is the only true way to get it done. Maybe making the entire thing 2 pieces.... hmmm.

Gotta be hella expensive to order a replacement part for that trim piece

All in all, that is fabulous work. Good job !

What?

Does that look like a Double-DIN? That's a completely custom system, and incorporates all kinds of integral car functions other than the radio.

ltlaudio had to do all kinds of advanced electrical work to sort out those functions. It's MUCH more than just a dash mold.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #67
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
ltlaudio....EPIC WIN! beautiful work.

2012 2LS - Black A6 (SOLD)

2016 1SS Summit White A8
Old 09-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #68
Busy_Boi
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: RJT 2010 camaro 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Busy_Boi
I was wonder does all the fuctions work form the stock radio when you put the double din in. If so i would like to have this in my car.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #69
ssalter

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs iom w/ blk & iom
OP- You should have taken some pictures of the head unit apart so people can understand how it works. The bezel around the radio has the HVAC controls and hazard/lock switch attached to it, the radio buttons and knobs and the actual radio are 2 differnt pieces, in other words if you take the bezel off you get HVAC controls with it and have to unplug the radio buttons from the radio, then the radio would unbolt and come out. The bezel has a clear lense and the display is actually a part of the radio if im not mistaken. Your body mad did a great job matching the paint and texture, but could have done slightly better with the shape along each upper edge, u can sort of tell the part he made and the original part where they meet, regardless, most people would never notice that, having done similair mod to my C5 corvette to hold double din, i give huge thumbs up.
As far as car control that goes through the head unit, other than onstar and chimes what else does the radio control? i remember seeing some settings on my radio making me think that it would be hard to do, but the car is a weekend driver so im not really all that familiar with, as far as onstar and chimes, PAC makes a piece called and OEM1 that allows you to hook up amps to factory head units and retain chimes and onstar, they also make a chime module that will allow you to retain your chimes and onstar. PAC really makes some great products. I would be interested in knowing the route the OP took to get the chimes and onstar to work, and if any functionality was lost, like steering wheel controls? you can buy a module to allow those to work with aftermarket head units also.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #70
ncstatered21

Drives: 2004 Chevy S10 Crew Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAmish View Post
Very nice! Hehe, the car almost looks naked without all that craziness going on in the center of the dash. If I did this, I'd have to think of some cosmetic modifications to spice it up.

Speaking of mods, I just noticed the little switch next to the keys. Mind letting that little secret out yet?

I saw that too. I'm curious as well. I know he was talking about air ride on the vehicle? Maybe it has something to do with that.

Future Camaro: 2SS, Red Jewel Tint, White Rally Stripe

Closed Thread

Tags
double din radio custom