Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-03-2022, 07:58 AM   #15
ABM2SS

Drives: 2010 SS M6 ABM
Quote:
Do you know what the procedure is to replace it? What all has to be disassembled? I'd assume the driveshaft disconnected, and the three mounting bolts. But does the exhaust need to be removed? What about the axles? Obviously a jack would be needed to support/lower the differential once the three bolts were removed.
I never just replaced the Gasket. The Differential was out of my car when I replaced the Gasket, so I had the Exhaust, Driveshaft and Axles Removed at the time. The Exhaust isn't too hard to remove. Disconnect it by loosening the sleeves near the Transmission and sliding them back then work the hangers at the differential and rear off gradually.
ABM2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #16
woyster_13ss

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
I don't see a way to get the diff out without removing the axles. You have to remove the axle nuts, disconnect the UCAs, toe rods and trailing arms. Pull the outer CV out of the hub and then pull the axle out of the diff. When putting the axle back, make sure the opening in the snap ring is facing down. You also need to disconnect the drive shaft and the three mounting bolts. Then it will drop out.

Before you go through all that, make sure the leak is not coming from the breather tube on top. I bought a borescope for $100 about a month ago and I already used it several times and it saved me lots of time. Using a scope to look at the top of the diff might be very useful in this case.
But does the complete differential need to be removed to replace just the gasket? Or can it droop far enough to perform the job without completely removing it?
6.2L V8, NPP, Manual 6-Speed, GM Performance Shifter, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Bo White's Stage III Ported TB, Sunroof, Window Tint, Gen5DIY Halo & DRL Harnesses, 5000k LED DRL Bulbs, APEX Skip Shift Eliminator, Hood Spears / Front & Rear Blackout Panels / Gills from Big Worm Graphix, Gary's Customz Front & Rear Painted Bowties, Powdercoated Wheels & Camaro Badges, Painted Calipers, Plastidipped Taillight Bezels
woyster_13ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:04 PM   #17
woyster_13ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbaycamaro View Post
If I recall correctly the drain and fill plugs have a o-ring seal. In you case maybe the drain plug o-ring needs to be replaced
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz4k98 View Post
There is a product that i have used in the past to trace fluid leaks that you may be able to find. It is called leak trace powder. Clean the parts, and then spray this on, it sprays on clear but dries as a white powder that will allow you to trace the leak when it happens.

Its a lot easier when you know where the leak is coming from. I just replaced the left axle seal and it did not fling any fluid around on the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
You can spray it down with brake clean to remove any remaining oil, then dust the suspected areas with baby powder. Any leak will cause the powder to darken.

I thought about the drain plug o-ring. Maybe I will try the leak trace or baby powder method and see if I can definitively locate where it is leaking from before going any further. That or the boroscope mentioned.

Thank you all for the replies.
6.2L V8, NPP, Manual 6-Speed, GM Performance Shifter, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Bo White's Stage III Ported TB, Sunroof, Window Tint, Gen5DIY Halo & DRL Harnesses, 5000k LED DRL Bulbs, APEX Skip Shift Eliminator, Hood Spears / Front & Rear Blackout Panels / Gills from Big Worm Graphix, Gary's Customz Front & Rear Painted Bowties, Powdercoated Wheels & Camaro Badges, Painted Calipers, Plastidipped Taillight Bezels
Old 10-03-2022, 01:11 PM   #18
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
You can try snugging up over bolts, I doubt the gasket it self just started leaking, it's a metal gasket with a rubber seal. I did useRTV on mine with the gasket when I put it back together. You may be able to lower it enough with a Jack after unbolting it.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:39 PM   #19
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by woyster_13ss View Post
But does the complete differential need to be removed to replace just the gasket? Or can it droop far enough to perform the job without completely removing it?
I don't see how it can be done that way. Those mounts don't move a lot. I suppose if you could get to all the bolts you could slide the cover down and slide the cover with a new gasket up, but not the way I would do it.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:40 PM   #20
woyster_13ss

Update...it ended up being the axle seals. I recently replaced both of them, and no more leaking. It wasn't the hardest things I've ever done, but it wasn't a super easy job either. I'm just happy that it stopped the leak.